Back after weeks of nothing?

(5 posts)
  1. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Sat Oct 20 2018 11:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

This is going to be long... but here is my story and I just need someone to tell me what they think. I have been using this site for advice/support since we found out we have bed bugs and I now feel the need to post. Our problem started in May, my daughter had bites and we didn’t know where they were coming from. We got a call from the school nurse who said they looked like bed bugs. I immediately went nuts and cleaned her room/bedding/clothes and found nothing but I feel I didn’t know what I was looking for at that point. We had a big name professional come and do an inspection but found nothing.
    For weeks after she continued to get bites and I started to find weird spots on her sheets. I couldn’t let it go so I called a local exterminator, family owned with excellent reviews who had a dog. The dog came and did not detect anything. I was relieved but that did not last long because the bites and marks on the sheets continued. I called the local exterminator again and asked if they wouldn’t mind coming again for just a visual inspection. The man that came was very thorough and found a baby bug in the crack of her bed frame (worth noting that her bed is a very large bed with bookshelves, drawers, etc all built in). We scheduled an appt to treat, they treated 2 times 2 weeks apart, and then a 3rd time about a month later after she got bites again. The exterminator who came was very confident that this was a no brainer job, very small infestation (which is hopefully why the dog missed it) and said I did great prep work. This company has a 100% success rate with single family homes like ours.
    The company’s policy is that 30 days after your last treatment their dog comes to confirm they are gone and then you have 60 day guarantee after that day. I of course didn’t have as much faith in the dog after he missed it the first time but whatever. The man that handles the dog was extremely nice and was totally stumped that he dog had missed it the first time. Of course they are only 98% accurate but he had owned the dog for 8 years and said he cannot remember another time of that happening. At this point my daughter had not gotten bitten for weeks and we were feeling good, well of course 2 days before the dog was scheduled to come I found 3 bites on her back. Very weird after so long so I tried to keep in mind that it was still summer at this point and she had been outside all night the day before in a very buggy yard. I called the company but they said it would be best to just keep the appt with the dog since it was so close and see what he said. The dog came and found nothing. I discussed the bites with the handler and he agreed that it was weird after so long of nothing. He said his company could come and do another treatment or I could monitor and see what happened. I decided to monitor. That was 6 weeks ago and we have had nothing up until today. No bites, no marks in the sheets (the marks I haven’t seen for over 2 months at least when I was regularly seeing them before). This morning my daughter woke up with a rash/bites all over her neck and collarbone and one spot on her belly and one on her hip. I call them spots/rash because I really don’t know if they are bites or just a skin reaction. She is young and her skin irritates easily. I looked at her sheets and found a very small spot that wasn’t there before, it’s rusty colored and a circle. Not fecal matter, no smearing or anything. I just don’t know what to do, we were just getting back to normal life. We had been packed up for about 4 months and are juat getting our house back in order. How would they start biting again after so long? Has anyone else had this? We have 2 weeks left of our “guarantee” period and I am freaking out. My husband is going to kill me if I ask for another treatment. He just unpacked a bunch of his stuff. He said I am being paranoid and she just has a rash. Please let me know what you think and/or your experiences. I am losing it!

A couple of things to note:

This has always just affected my daughter, not my husband or I . I had bites one time that I was unsure of but again this all happened in the summer and I had been outside the night before.

I know some might say that unpacking reinfested us because that is what I was thinking but the majority of our things were in airtight tubs with Nuvan strips for about 2 months. I just don’t see how that could happen.

We have gone on 2 one week vacations since this has happened which upon return I am super vigilant about making sure we don’t bring anything into the house. I put our suitcases in bags with nuvan strips I bought online for a couple days beforw unpacking. The reason I am mentioning this is because after both weeks away she did not getting any bites after returning. Wouldn’t it make sense that if we still had bed bugs that after being gone for a week (and removing their food source for a week) that they would bite right after we returned?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 months ago
    Sun Oct 21 2018 22:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes— I think they’d be likely to bite after your trip. However, skin reactions aren’t very reliable indicators that bed bugs are present. There could be another cause and you should consider exploring that with a dermatologist. They can’t tell you if bed bugs are the cause but could do a skin scraping and tell you if it’s insect related. (Skin scrapings aren’t a terrible experience.)

If it is bed bugs, could your daughter be experiencing bites somewhere she goes regularly outside the home? (School, day care, friend or relative’s home)? Remember the problem may be undetected at the other location or the people there may be trying to hide it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Oct 22 2018 7:49:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your input. I have thought about an outside source but I’m just not sure where it would be. School is an obvious possibility, being that I am pretty sure that is where we got them from in the first place. But I don’t know if she “rests” enough at school for bites to happen. She is a very active kid and there is no nap time or anything like that. We also started to bag her book bag everyday since this happened to make sure we aren’t bringing anything home. Other than that I can’t think of anyplace. She doesn’t go to a sitters house and the only other places she stays are our mother’s homes, both of which know exactly what we’ve been through and have been monitoring themselves, they would never not be upfront if something was going on at their houses.
    I spoke with our exterminator this morning and they said they could come and retreat (which would require re-prepping) or I could monitor. And while they can’t technically extend my warranty time that if I called within a reasonable time period they would be happy to work with me.
    What would you do? Would you retreat? Would you just wait and see? I think I am just asking these questions more for support than anything. I know there is no definitive answer. This has just been one of the worst experiences of my life and I thought we were getting past it. Thank you so much for any feedback.

4. HelpBB

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Oct 22 2018 9:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

What did they treat with? I feel your pain. We have been battling bed bugs since May. I am so very exhausted. I keep getting bites. We have havehad k9's in and alerted along with seeing the occasional bed bug. I can't believe it has gone this long. We are treating with Aprehend today hoping it works.

5. Losingit1011

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Oct 22 2018 11:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly I don’t know the name of the chemicals, I could look them up on the paperwork they provided. The company uses a combination of HEPA vacuuming, steam/heat treatment and residual chemical spray. My interaction with them has been great and I felt very confident in them. And they really made it seem as if this was such a small infestation that it would be handled no problem. Do you see actual bugs regularly? The only bugs we have ever seen are one baby bug that they found during inspection and then one dead adult after treatment. Also my daughters bed is completely white and there have never been marks/stains on any of it. She was the only one bitten and the only signs other than bites were marks on her sheets.
    Her being the only one bitten has been a blessing and a curse. I have lost so much sleep (and weight) over this that I can’t imagine what I would be reduced to if it had been in our bed. But on the flip side I of course don’t want my daughter to go through this and not to mention it has been very hard to determine what is what on a little kid’s body, especially during the summer months with mosquitoes, scrapes, bumps, etc. I feel that if it were on my own body I would know if something was a big bite for sure, ya know? I am leaning towards this latest problem just being skin irritations, I’m just going to watch and see. It sad but comforting to know others are going through the same things. Thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982