Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Babysitter has Bed Bugs! DO I?

(8 posts)
  1. Kandie6806

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2014 21:57:21
    #

Login to Send PM

MONTHS ago, prior to May, my babysitter had bed bugs. She watches my child in her home, along with others. LOVE her! However, the facts still remain. She made the phone call to families, she had a dog in, M2 Pest Control, Lancaster, Ohio. Her home was treated, couches thrown out, cots bought for the children to sleep on, totes for childrens things kept outside till the problem was resolved. Each family who used her was REQUIRED to have the dog in there home, before returning. One family did not. They did not return, and are known to have bed bugs. I had the dog in my home, and was deemed bug free. We returned. Well I graduated in May, and while looking for employment our need for a babysitter was very rare, this summer. She had the dog return recently (3 wks ago) still no bugs. I found work after passing my boards and recently started working. My son returned full time last week. On Tuesday she noticed bites on my son, worried, but considered mosquito agitated by heat during sleep. She found a bed bug in her room, upstairs, today. So... now im freaking out. Did I bring them back? Was the dog wrong at my house or hers?! I see NO signs of bugs, I have searched mattresses, head boards, box springs of all beds, couches... No fecal residue, blood stains, bites. NOTHING. My son has not been there since Wednesday morning, due to strep. No new bites. Me and my other son have no bites. I have no idea what to do. She doesn't even know what to do, or what to suggest to me. I have called and left a message this evening to M2. I don't want to take him back, but like I said I JUST started a new job LAST WEEK. ADVICE???? Please!

2. bbbgoneforeverplease

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2014 22:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you get a lot of good responses here but I would venture to guess that they are simply back at her place. Pesticides kill the bugs but not the eggs, and they are very pesky and persistent. Did they have follow up treatments? If you have had no other bites occur at your house on your child who clearly reacts, then chances are it is not your house that is affected--yet. Hopefully it won't be in the future either.

3. Kandie6806

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2014 22:25:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not believe she had a follow up treatment, just a follow up dog test, which was 2 wks ago (not 3) and she was deemed bug free at the point. She did say her daughter (adult) had bites, and son was moving so before taking furniture they wanted a recheck, and that's why they had the dog back. I literally am freaking out. I don't know what to do. My new work schedule is crazy so my kids are at my mom and dads (two different homes) a lot nights and weekends, I cant be transferring these things all over town! I already had to call off Thursday due to my youngest having strep and being contagious, so he couldn't go, calling off your first week is a total downer and now I have no where for my child to go tomorrow... Only my youngest uses this sitter. I also have a fear of me being the transferring family and taking him somewhere else with them. I do however strongly believe I am not the reason they started, the family that didn't return has had bed bugs and even the grandmother said they still did. But if I have some how contracted them, brought them to my house and back to hers and all of our families, I will most likely have a nervous break down! ;(

4. Kandie6806

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2014 22:28:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I just don't understand how she was bug free 2 weeks ago, and now has them. Or was the dog wrong. Which if he was, he could have been at mine!

5. bedbugtakeover

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 3:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Kandie6806,

I am not an expert, not even a bedbug survivor, just a regular person scared to death to ever deal with these. I would say that it makes sense that she never got rid of them. Is her home single standing or attached? apartment? Also, was the same dog used for all of the same houses or different companies? I would just take some extra precautions when your son is going there. obviously this being based on her getting more treatment, unless you come up with a different option. Keep a sealed bag in your car with clean clothing, etc. for when you pick him up. seal what ever he was in while at babysitters house and put in dryer for atleast 30 minutes after hot, once you get home. read the faqs. they are quite informative. I am truly sorry that you have to deal with this. You are on the best website for info and help. Keep your chin up. Your babysitter does sound like this is something that she will deal with, she is taking this very serious. It does not sound like a major infestation. Good luck! Again, not an expert, just trying to help make you feel a little better

6. bedbugtakeover

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 3:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, never got rid of them or got reinfested. (local source)

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 6:59:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck. It's really hard to know for sure. With kids going to other kids or parents homes...with her having adult children...with K9s sometimes not being correct...too many variables

It sounds like you may be in health care. If you look at useful tools, there are some monitoring devices (packtite passives, climbups, etc) to help with monitoring. Some people even use folded up washclothes if the monitors are too expensive. I really hope this gets resolved.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. Kandie6806

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 9:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

We all used the same dog...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs