Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Baby being bitten, help please?

(6 posts)
  1. sue251070

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 9:50:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My baby is being eaten alive. He seems to get bitten more than any one else. Does any one have any idea what I can do to help him please?

2. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 10:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I have young kids too and they have been bitten a lot. Just give him some soothing cream to cool his itching and start to treat your house. There is not much else to do. Luckily my kids don't seem to be bothered by the bites in any way except for the itchyness! They are much more calm and relaxed than I am!

Best of luck. I know how hard this can be when you have kids!

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 10:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Try to isolate his sleeping areas.

The FAQs are a good place to start for advice.

Steam treatment of the bedding might be an option.

Find a PCO that has extensive experience with bed bugs & do your prep work carefully

Good luck

4. sue251070

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 10:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have put double sided carpet tape round the legs of his crib and sadly attempted some gap filling with expandable foam. Don't any one do that massive mistake, mahusive mess!!! Does the carpet tape help?

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 11:41:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Tape loses effectiveness over time as the adhesive dries out & it acquires a film of dust. I've seen a bed bug walk on a dried out section of Scotch Double Sided tape without difficulty.

You could use clean metal or glass containers with smooth sides as an alternative or set the legs on good quality insect glue traps. Even a slight texture on a surface can give bed bugs a foothold. I have seen a client use some small stainless steel mixing bowls to isolate bed legs successfully.

Heat treat the bedding in a clothes dryer or with a steam cleaner.

Some people use contact killers like 91% alcohol, but keep in mind that the contact killers will only affect the bugs that you manage to spray directly.

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2008 14:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Everything Doug said.

A little detective work to hunt them is needed.
    Be sure to examine the crib to see if they are in it or crawling into it from elsewhere.

If no evidence in the frame or bedding use the good sticky traps on the feet, just put some masking tape so you can remove the trap easier later. Heck use the sticky traps anyway because they may be in the crib along with elsewhere in the room.

Watch to see if the biting stops, changes, or you capture bugs. If you capture some save the trap for the PCO and also note where they got trapped. Odds are the bugs are coming from their lair to feed and take the short route. It may give you a direction to hunt the lair(s). However they may just be coming up closest to the child. Any findings you can provide the PCO can help them in their assessment.

The foam sealant stuff is only for large gaps and believe me I know the volcanic mess it can be in too small a gap or tubing. Caulk is a better option provided the gap is no larger than 1/2 X 1/2 inch. Bigger gaps the foam can be used but gingerly.

I've become a sealing madman.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19