Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

B. Bassiana (Strain GHA) home treatment attempt.

(7 posts)
  1. trailblazer

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Jul 16 2018 5:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

This is day 0, initial application of Beauveria Bassiana. Note that this is an off-label treatment attempt with an unsanctioned use for an outdoor product. B.Ba strain GHA appears to have only mild effects on humans (unless there are immune system deficiencies) from what I can see from case studies, but that doesn't mean that living in spores is advisable; the product I'm using also has other ingredients that are inert but untested. If you're looking at this and considering an attempt, you've been warned. If you are a herald of doom and gloom at the idea of using something that hasn't been tested, please try and refrain from pressing the point too much--we get it.

Abstract: I've had an infestation for 6 months. Spray applications, DE, steaming, and isopropyl applications have all been attempted, but ineffective and disappointing. B. Bassiana (B.Ba.) appears to be a reasonably effective solution so this posting is to document my attempt. Let's put that to the test.

---

I've ordered two different products: Wah! and BotaniGard (BG). Wah! is a different strain, but the product shipped from India. I've read in case studies that sustained heat levels above ~90° will render spores unviable and do not trust the handling for this one, so I'll only use BG.

The first part I'm curious about is... well, does it work?! So I've secured 10 bedbugs (various life stages, various feeding), currently harboring in a paper towel placed inside of a glass that has been inundated with BG and left to dry. These will remain here throughout the duration.

Meanwhile, I've mixed 1g BG with 12oz of water in a small sprayer. The inside surface of the bottle was measured to be 65°. Then, I went to town on everything, all suspected harborages and surfaces around my bedding area. Additionally, I've placed 2 humidifiers close by and hope they'll hover around 40%RH.

An interesting observation is that when BG is directly applied to a live bug (noticed with at least 5 different specimens), a sufficient amount of dousing appears to kill it within seconds. I'm unsure of why--I know it's not the B.Ba., as spore germination is measured in days not seconds. To test, I found a live and moving bedbug, sprayed it, waited for it to stop moving (about 30 seconds), then placed it upside-down on a white piece of paper. If it wanders off eventually, good--hopefully it brings it's infection to it's friends. If it remains, I have to believe that there is some other element in BG that acts as a contact killer. Or maybe the sticking agent binds mobility as it dries?

Will update progress as things go along.

2. yamato_big

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jul 30 2018 14:35:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Any update? What model sprayer did you use to spray your room?

3. jimmyjojo

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 7:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Any news? I'm about to try the same thing.

4. HelpBB

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Feb 16 2019 11:22:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Really curious how things will turn out. I am curious what agent Aprehend uses for there liquid. I know it is some oil type substance. Doesn't have much a smell. I am curious if you mix the spores with some kind of oil like vegetable or coconut oil if it were work better. It might stain so I would do it in an area that is not seen. If you do that I would not use nothing but oil for that batch. Maybe pick a piece of furniture and spray it with the oil mixture and not spray it for a while and see what happens.

Best of luck!!

5. Leila

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Feb 16 2019 23:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok. Got the apprehend . Because beauvaria seems messy and complicated.
    Ans i have kids. So rather have the fda approuved thing. Did bed feet.
    Did only rectangles under boxspring around boxspring around walls joining bed. Around ceiling rectangle like bit bigger then both beds. Around all outlets.
    Fantastic sprayer worth the money. No mess.
    Took 30 mins.
    No dust . No coughing.
    Invisible. No deippimg mess or anything. No resdiduez
    Did it Yesterday. Until now had small bites every 2 days.
    Wiped up all cimexa and De.
    Lets see if after 9 months of horror this stuff dows something. Fingers crossed

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Feb 17 2019 3:44:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting comment on Apprehend here:

https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/natural-solutions

Would not want people to miss accurate test data over “fantasy trials”.

I can’t recall anyone having a positive outcome with the fungus green house strain or otherwise.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. HelpBB

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 9:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Sent a private message. Would love to know how things are going with you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,541 posts in 47,911 topics over 148 months by 21,107 of 21,446 members. Latest: nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111, urka1234