Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Avoiding exposure from visiting relatives.

(6 posts)
  1. Affodill

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 0:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on how to minimize my risk with some visiting relatives who may have just been exposed to bedbugs via their hotel room.

The situation is this:

My sister, her husband and two very young kids came into town a few days ago. Since they arrived, I have seen them a few times, given hugs, held the kids, etc. This evening, I visited with them in their hotel room for about twenty minutes, sitting on the bed most of the time.

After we left the hotel, my sister casually mentioned how gross the room was, and that she had even seen some spots of blood on the sheets. I mentioned the possibility of bed bugs, but she didn't seem too concerned. I checked a few bedbug registries and found a two or three reports from their hotel, but none recent. (All from around 2013.) I honestly don't know whether/how to address this with them further. I'm kind of the hypochondriac of the family and this is not my first bedbug scare.

I'm really concerned about what to do for the remainder of their visit. Obviously I'm going to continue seeing them, interacting with them, and holding my little nieces. Am I putting myself at risk by doing so? And is there anything I can do to minimize the risk? We are supposed to all take a day trip in their car later in the week and I'm wondering if this is a risk as well.

As for my own exposure, after I got home, I got into the shower and took off all my clothes and triple-bagged them. I then put everything in a plastic crate and took it outside since it was too late to do laundry and some of the items can't be laundered anyway.

Also, I've recently purchased an expensive down pillow but it has not yet been unboxed or introduced to the upstairs where I sleep. How long should I wait before I can consider it safe to bring the pillow and or any other new items upstairs? I really don't want to start using it only to have to throw it out, treat it, store it for 180 days, etc.

Lastly, how long does one need to monitor and take precautions before it's considered all-clear? Right now I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the unknowns and I really need a goal to shoot for.

2. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 7:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The worse stress of knowing you have exposure is the "what ifs".
    There is a lot of info here in FAQ to help with the questions you may have ,it takes some time & reading up ,but you can have a visit & enjoy just use a protocol to keep safe . As far as your clothing you can put them in the dryer upon returning home that kills bb"s & then they will be safe to put in the laundry hamper until you wash them, drying times is different depending on what you read , I use 30-45 mintues depend on amount of stuff in the dryer, hope this help.
    I'm sure the experts will come alone and may give you more details on other things as well .

Miscellaneous (Traveling without catching bed bugs, how to deal with bed bug bites, and other FAQs)
    http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/

3. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 7:43:11
    #

Login to Send PM

4. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 7:53:42
    #

Login to Send PM

you will find most links under the FAQ , you just have to surf around the links that apply to your questions subject. Take care & good luck, if you need more help just ask.

http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/stuff/

http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/bed-bugs-travel/

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 8:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you're really anxious about this, and they're still in the hotel room,, you might go over there and do a room inspection via tools in our FAQ's. Inspecting a hotel room isn't that hard. Then, if you don't find anything, you can probably take a deep breath. But if you do find something, then you can be more active in your approach.

Richard

6. Affodill

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Apr 9 2015 17:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I really appreciate the advice, everyone.

After thinking it over all day, I think this is what I'm going to do:

-Launder or clean all the items I isolated last night and reintroduce them.
    -Isolate all my clothes after our trip tomorrow and launder them.
    -Get a few of the Paktite passive monitors for my bed, my office, and my car.
    -Get a couple sets of white sheets for my bed (the ones I have now are black!).
    -Declutter as much as I can but avoid transferring anything from the upstairs to the downstairs, or vice versa.
    -Exercise vigilance for the next few weeks and hope for the best.

I think I will try once more to make sure my sister understands the risks and maybe see if she'll let me poke around the hotel room. Maybe I'll be able to convince her to take some photos of the blood stains so I can get someone's opinion on here. My gut instance is telling me it's really not my place to push too hard on this, though, unless she actually shares my concern (which I doubt will happen, unfortunately).

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions and shared links. I feel a lot calmer today although I have to admit I'm still pretty nervous. I'm worried that the Paktite passive monitors will turn out to be "too good to be true" but for now they seem like the best way to save my sanity. Hopefully I can convince my sister to use some as well since I visit at her place fairly often.

I'll update here if anything changes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982