Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Avoiding bringing reinfestation to new home!

(2 posts)
  1. CiCiGo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 8:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a BB infestation starting in March. We were treated professionally in May and hadn't noticed any problems since. I am preparing to move out of the house and in with my boyfriend, and one of my roommates moved out 2 weeks ago. I was sitting on the couch at my boyfriend's house this weekend, felt pain in my foot, and looked down to see a BB crawling away!! We killed it and immediately searched all the furniture in his house with a flashlight. We didn't find any more bugs or evidence of them. When I went back to my own house, I went in my former roommate's room to find that she had left her mattress behind. It is disgusting, covered in fecal smears, eggs, and dead bugs. BF and I started to bag it up in a plastic case and seal with duct tape to take outside. In the process of doing so, I saw a live nymph crawling on it. Then, as I was going to bed last night, I found a large adult BB crawling on my pillow!!

Now I am getting really worried. My former roommate did not follow the PCO's instructions to encase her bedding. Her "bed" was two mattresses directly on the floor, no box springs or frame. I am thinking that since she left, the bugs remaining in her mattress are starting to get hungry and going out into the house in search of food. We are getting the keys to our new place on Tuesday and planning to move this weekend. I REALLY don't want to take these b******* with us. I threw away most of the stuff under/around my bed, including yarn and curtains. I plan to bag up all of my clothing tonight in the XL Ziploc bags, then put in storage bins. As I move bins to the new house, I will take them directly to the basement, put them in the dryer (or washer/dryer) and not bring them into the bedroom until they have been treated. I also plan to inspect anything before I pack, and visually inspect items before they go into the truck on Saturday.

Can anyone suggest any other ways to keep the BBs from following me to our new home? I don't think getting the old house treated is an option at this point, since we need to be out next week. I plan on vacuuming the old place and trying to eliminate them there as best I can. Thankfully, our new place is much better in that it has hardwood floors, no cracks in the baseboards and walls, etc.

2. BugKillerChick

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2012 12:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving in a few months too and haven't seen any fantastic advice on this topic. However, we do plan to steam treat everything before taking it into the new house with us. We acquired a Vapamore steamer (not cheap, but long term a good investment for us at least:) and I PLAN on steaming everything before it enters my new home. I'm sorry - what a big huge bummer that your roommate did not follow instructions correctly! GRRRR that kind of thing is just inexcusable. I would make sure your bed is isolated, off the floor, in mattress covers - all of that goodness. Vacuum frequently, cleaning out the vacuum with precision when done so they don't travel with the vacuum. I would work on your roomate's bedroom also. Vacuum, steam (if you can afford it) and get on top of it now. Can you delay your move a few weeks? I think it would behoove you to do a bit more due diligence on that end before accidentally taking bugs with you. Again, sorry:(. Super unfair and frustrating.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,682 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982