Avoid bringing bed bugs with me? HELP

(5 posts)
  1. hrb375

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue May 31 2016 13:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been studying abroad in spain for 4 months. In less that 2 weeks I fly home to the US. A few days ago I went on a short trip to Valencia where I stayed in an Air BnB...woke up with small bites that eventually got bigger and some itched over the next few days. I stayed there 2 nights and over those 2 night have 19 bites only on arms and feet with one on my face. Has to be BBs, right? I had already put my pajamas back in my duffel, so panic commenced. In Barcelona, where I went next, I found a laundromat and threw all of my clothes and my duffel bag in the dryer on high for 30 min. Was not satisfied but wanted to enjoy my trip. No new bites. I got back to my apartment last night, didn't let any of my stuff from the trip touch anything, and this morning went to a laundromat and washed all the clothes in 50 deg celsius water, the into the dryer for 30 min on high along with my duffel again, backpack, purse, and toiletry case. Inspected everything that had been in the bags, my passport, my book, my journal, papers, etc. Found nothing EXCEPT in an old piece of folded up paper two brown spots that had an orangish ring around them (possible droppings?). Commence more freaking out. Threw away a lot of stuff. Going to test the spots with peroxide when I can. Do you guys think I have been thorough enough? For when I go back home in 2 weeks, do you guys have any tips on what I should do as soon as I get there to avoid bringing them into my home? I would hate to create a problem for my mother and then later on my roommates at college. Is there any possible way to fumigate just the few bags I'm bringing home just to be safe? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

2. hrb375

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2016 10:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The essence of my question is what should I do with my bags when I get home? Are there pest control places I can take them/would come to me to get treated as a precaution? I'd rather treat my 3 bags than the whole house.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2016 22:35:13
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're from North America, you could try sealing them in a large plastic bag in an airtight manner with DDVP strips (see this link to our Useful Tools page for more on DDVP).

Depending where you are there may be someone who can decon your bags, but the only pro I know of who has mentioned offering this service is in London.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bugsinromeitaly

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 6:17:41
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I stayed in An AirBnB in Rome for 2 nights and as we were packing up on our last morning, I found a bedbug on the clothe headboard. It seemed to be dead as it wasn't moving, even when we touched it. We have no bites (slept 2 nights in bed), couldn't find any more bedbugs I'm sheets, pillow, mattress or headboard. We also found what appeared to be (alive) silverfish behind the headboard, crawling in and out of the walls. Please help!! What's our risk of taking them back to NYC with us?

5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2016 6:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a section on moving/travelling with bedbugs
    http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/bed-bugs-travel/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47