Attracting bed bugs with pheromones

(7 posts)
  1. hidingbugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 13:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

There may be new way to attract bed bugs with their own pheromones.

While many researchers have looked for a better chemical, some have examined a more natural approach. They have tried to exploit a particular trait of the bugs in the hopes of finding a means to trick them into traps. The key happens to be a group of chemicals – pheromones – used by the insects to gather populations into a specific area.
    There are ten such chemicals. However, not all are equally successful at attracting the bugs. The four most effective compounds are known as aldehydes. These have a rather sickly-sweet odor and can travel relatively long distances in the air. A bed bug picks up on the scent and then heads towards the more concentrated area. Eventually, the gathering place will be found.

http://www.popsci.com/sweet-smelling-bug-control-option

From July 26, 2016

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 13:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dried animal blood can also work.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 20:12:53
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 6 hours ago  » 

I've never heard of that.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 26 2017 10:02:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

The blood and bone meal BS comes from a 1916 patent application and is one of the lasting fallacies of "bad science".

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jun 26 2017 14:05:38
    #

Login to Send PM

In a lab environment they're not interested in it. In the real world, I've been using mouse grade glue boards with the attractant for seven years.

6. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 21 2017 11:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 3 months ago  » 
    In a lab environment they're not interested in it. In the real world, I've been using mouse grade glue boards with the attractant for seven years.

Interesting, I used a glue board because it's all I had at the time.
    I'm not sure it is mouse grade, I bought them to detect roaches.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 21 2017 13:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 3 months ago  » 

Have you run comparative tests with and without the attractant right next to one another?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111