Attempting self-treatment with Cimexa

(3 posts)
  1. murielandthebug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 13:08:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We've got bed bugs, and our building management is employing an incompetent PCO (outlined in this topic). So I'm trying my hand at self treatment. I'm basically trying a treatment course that is highly touted on reddit. Is this a good idea?

A few days ago I hung a 3.5mil plastic sheet over our entire bed frame, headboard included, and placed our mattress on top of that. Before I put the sheet down I sprayed Cimexa (using a bulb sprayer) throughout the bed frame (including all joints). After the entire frame was covered in plastic (hanging and not touching the floor) I then sprayed Cimexa around our bedroom. Very thin layers on the floor, under the bed, along baseboards, in outlet and switch voids, under furniture legs, in drawers, etc. (This was several days after our PCO sprayed Suspend SC, so I was confident it was dry and wouldn't bond with the ASG.)

After I put the plastic sheeting down, we went 2 nights with no new bites. But I have the creeping feeling that Cimexa won't actually be killing them while they can't reach us, but instead will drive them to seek harbor in our couch, in our son's room, or to move on to a neighbor. Our son seems to be bite free, and I have carefully sprayed Cimexa in the joints of his crib, and in various cracks and voids in his room. We've also encased his crib mattress and bagged and binned all of his clothes. Our two bedrooms share a wall. In our building, no other units on the same floor share walls with our bedrooms. But since these are badly maintained pre-war buildings, it would be fairly easy for a bug to move between our apartment and neighbors above or below through the steam heat pipe in the corner of each bedroom, or through the walls.

It turns out that I needn't be worried about them ditching us as targets, because after 2 nights bite free, the bugs managed to get by the plastic barrier and gave my wife several bites (though I managed to get through the night unscathed).

So it seems Cimexa is not working for us. Does anyone have any ideas for what I might do differently to make this work? Of course, if we can convince our landlord to hire a competent PCO or convince their PCO to use a more effective pesticide, then I'm ready to ditch these methods entirely.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 15:42:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure what you're doing with the plastic sheet, get rid of it. If the plastic is covering the surface that you dusted with Cimexa then you've just negated the best spot for contact.

3. murielandthebug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Sep 7 2018 15:52:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The thinking behind this method (as explained by the moderator of /r/bedbugadvice and /r/bedbugassistance) is that no bugs will be able to reach us through the barrier, and any that get close will slide to the floor. And with the floor thinly coated in ASG, they will traipse through particles that will eventually kill them.

Since posting this I've read more about their climbing ability, and I'm now doubting the effectiveness of the climbing deterrent in general.

I'm getting the impression that ASG on an open floor is not going to be effective. I think tonight I'm going to mop up our open parquet floors with Murphy's soap. Then I'll remove the plastic sheet and try once again to carefully spray the bed frame cracks and joints with Cimexa.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991