Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

At my wits end after almost 3 years

(28 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 21 2009 18:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

hi all. Me again. It has been a while. Our story is that we have been fighting these buggers on and off for 3 years. we had a few month reprieve just to get them again. We would like our coop to do something they say that no one else has complained and they don't want to spend the money to inspect other units. We have been treated full out at least 6 times with washing and bagging and living in plastic and frankly I just can't do that to my kids anymore. On top of it my 2 year old has terrible asthma and now has started reacting to the chemicals used on the bed bugs. At this point I really don't know where to turn. We just bag laundry and wash and dry hot hot. I spend my free time steaming and vacuuming, still we get a few bites. We are in NYC and frankly I don't know anymore where they are coming from: neighbors, kids' school...etc. I am really just done and can barely function anymore. I really need help but don't know where to turn as all of the exterminators only seem to eliminate for a period of time. We have caulked and everything. At this point we don't even see any bugs but occasionally get bites( invisible what the heck). Anyways guess I am just venting. Thanks.

2. enough already

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2009 20:47:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. It's the first time I've dealt with these but I think I have it wired after a few months of dealing with them.

I have a super great printers loop that I put some bed bugs in and have been observing. Well, the D.earth (Diatamatios Earth) is pretty damn effective. I watched these suckers die in two days just like the package said they would. The best part is it's non toxic. The bugs have waxy backs and the dust sticks on them and literally cracks their shells open. Their larva is even stickier.

I feel a bit worried with your child's condition though because it's not ever good to breath in any dust in excess but if you can get them out of the house for a long weekend, that would be ideal. Wear a mask yourself and literally paint the folds of your bed and any place at all where they could hide away. Make sure to wear gloves as the Diatamatios Earth will dry them out and make your hands feel like crap.

Open your plug covers and dust with a paintbrush all around in the space. Bedbugs like it there because it's warm. Bed bugs like to be close to their host so Do Everything To Your Bedroom! Clear all clothes out of dresser and vacuum every corner, nook and cranny, and underside of drawers and dresser. Paint all corners with Dearth and wash clothes yet once again! :O

Hit any night stand with vacuum and D.earth. The base around your bedroom, your mattresses where they would most likely clutter. Your springs and any other place you can think of. After two days vacuum like heck. All the places you painted although I leave the dust around the feet of my bed.

See if this isn't warfare on your bug problem. To be safe, you can repeat process about two weeks later just to be extra sure.

Im sorry, it does feel freaky but thank goodness compared to mosquitoes and other creepy crawlies, they don't spread disease. Good Luck friend.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2009 23:24:18
    #

Login to Send PM

See the DE hazards tag and thread. Do not paint your house with it!

Jim

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 1:01:07
    #

Login to Send PM

enough already - 4 hours ago  » 
    Well, the D.earth (Diatamatios Earth) is pretty damn effective. I watched these suckers die in two days just like the package said they would. The best part is it's non toxic. . . .Wear a mask yourself and literally paint the folds of your bed and any place at all where they could hide away.

Like Jim, I would strongly advise more research and caution before using diatomaceous earth. We have a FAQ which is a starting point in your research.

It can be a useful tool, but it is an inhalation hazard for anyone and we've been told you should use a full respirator mask when applying it, not just a dust mask.

Also, you do not want it getting kicked up or becoming airborne (so that you inhale it), so putting it on the mattress (sofa, etc.) is not a good idea. Ever sit on a dusty sofa? Think about the DE going airborne in the same way.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 1:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, you do not want it getting kicked up or becoming airborne (so that you inhale it), so putting it on the mattress (sofa, etc.) is not a good idea. Ever sit on a dusty sofa? Think about the DE going airborne in the same way.

Especially if you have a two year old with asthma that is acting up as a result of the chemicals. Inhaling DE can cause silicosis, and I don't think that silicosis on top of asthma would be a good mix.

6. watkinsnewan

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 7:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The whole reason I WILL NOT use DE!! with me and my CHILDREN the home!!

7. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 8:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

When our infestation was first discovered, I was given some DE to "sprinkle around" by a PCO (the same PCO that royally messed up our treatment, and who I believe is responsible for us STILL being in this situation). Well, of course I was emotionally distraught and went "Rambo" with the stuff, sprinkling it EVERYWHERE. There was even a giant circle of it around my air mattress! If I had only known then what I know now... The dangers weren't really well known or advertised at that point in time.

Once I started reading these forums I quickly realized how dangerous this stuff really was and vacuumed it all up (wearing a mask of course). I am pretty sure I now have some form of silicosis. I used to run all of the time...now I can't even catch my breath after going up a flight of stairs and have a persistent cough and scratchy throat (for like a year now). This may sound crazy, but I feel worst about exposing my cats to this stuff!!! I now READ EVERY LABEL, including all of the fine print, before using any chemical in my home and you should all do the same!

8. Itchybutdealing

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 12:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately we really can't use any form of powder, and now that my child has become severely allergic to the spraying done in our house, we can't do any of that. I guess we will just have to caulk, vacuum, steam, wash and pray. If anyone has any other non-powder suggestions I am willing to take it, but we have decided that or kid's health is more important than bed bugs (crazy as that sounds).

9. Louise

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 13:00:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchybutdealing - 24 minutes ago  » 
    If anyone has any other non-powder suggestions I am willing to take it, but we have decided that or kid's health is more important than bed bugs (crazy as that sounds).

Doesn't sound crazy to me at all. Seems like common sense.

It means you're not letting the bugs drive you completely insane. Good for you.

Louise

10. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 13:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy, that doesn't sound crazy at all. I've sacrificed my health and sanity fighting these things and would highly NOT recommend that! Do what you need to live as comfortably as you can (ie. minimize your bites) while also protecting your child's health.

Have you thought of using any traps/monitors? Not that they would solve your problem, but even if they did catch one or two bb's, that's one or two less potential reproducers in the equation. I didn't have any luck with my Climb Ups, but wasn't hopeful I would since our infestation is (we think and hope) down to a few stragglers. Having said that, the comfort I get just knowing they are on the legs of all my furniture somehow helps...I have hope to catch one someday! I just used a CDC 3000 on loan and got nothing, so was glad I didn't jump the gun and buy one too soon. I'm sure they work if you use them long enough.

My sticky traps (placed under couch, bed, etc.) have only caught non-bedbugs and one of my cats (momentarily). Sigh. Some other monitors I'm looking at getting are the Bed Bug Dome and/or the MIDMOS BB Alert monitors. Thankfully there are more and more relatively inexpensive monitors appearing on the market. I'll post the results once I've used them for awhile.

Keep up the fight...we will all win someday

11. watkinsnewan

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 13:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

have you thought about the thermal heat treatment!! I would think that with the kid having asthma that would be the safest!!

12. Itchybutdealing

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 13:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah heard thermal is great but as they come from the neighbors we will only be heating and repeating. We also do have the climb ups but have only caught one bug in them!

13. watkinsnewan

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 14:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

That is a really awful situation you have to be in It really breaks my heart to see a child go through any kinda situation like this!!did you read the article that Nobugs posted on rachael-ray-show-not-bad-but-not-quite-right-on-bed-bugs/~~read carefully!! I don't really know your whole situation!!but In my opinion time for PLAN B!! There is a another solution!! Would moving be on your radar!! not just picking up and moving cause you will need to take precautions!! You could have all your stuff thermal treated out side of the home!! Really safe for the child!! I know how many precaution you have to take when dealing with a asthmatic child!! Its hard!! stay strong!!

14. bedbuggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 15:23:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have any advice about fighting the bugs but there are a couple of things I can mention..
    If your son has asthma then somewhere in your family (you or your husband) he is prone to allergy.
    I developed asthma from the bugs and it was frightening because I've never had it (although my brother and dad both have) Bedbugs can trigger dormant allergic conditions including urticaria (hives) which can behave much like BB bites. The problem is that bites can behave diff. even on the same person but for me they were much itchier and hung around longer than the hives.

What helped me with asthma and urticaria was putting on weight w/ protein supplements and a change in diet. My doctor said I had an "allergic body type" (tall and slender). What helped my asthma the most was vigorous exercise and fresh air. If you live in New York, consider taking your son away from the smog and out to a green forest w/ plenty of oxygen for a hike. I suspect it will do you both wonders.

15. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 15:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I realize it may be out of the question - but I second the 'think about moving' opinion voiced above. Even if the bugs come with you during the move - after treatment (of the new place) you won't have to worry about them coming back again (hopefully). Many people don't encourage this but honestly - if the surrounding apartments aren't being treated then I would view it as a lost cause.

I myself am planning on this option (due to my neighbors also not being treated/inspected) - I realize that the bugs may follow me, but I am already attempting to squirrel away funds for a treatment on the home I move into afterwards.

16. BettyV4

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 16:03:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the problem for many of us is that either we own our own homes or condos and co-ops so it's much more difficult in considering moving as a solution. I've thought about it many times as my neighbor has been the one not treating. God listened to my prayers though, the other day A Huge FOR SALE SIGN infront of their house went up. The block applauded. For the time being we're not going anywhere and I'm still hopeful that new things will happen to help eradicate this nightmare. I also don't want to spray anymore. My husband has developed thyroid problems - infact we were told it might be thyroid cancer but it wasn't. I have terrible sinus issues now.

17. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 16:52:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoa - so even in stand alone homes it's a problem if the neighbors have them then? That is something I wasn't considering - as I'd hate to bring these bugs to my new neighbors, or have someone else bring them back to me. I figured they would just migrate to other places within the structure but not leave the premises altogether, ugh. That really stinks.

Well.. with that in mind maybe moving isn't the option for me after all but after dealing with these bugs (and knowing my neighbors aren't going to even be inspected) I feel I don't really have any other option now. Lord knows I don't have the money to afford the treatment here every 4 months or so. I'd like them out and gone for good!

- NewBlood

18. watkinsnewan

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 17:19:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BettyV4 - 1 hour ago  » 
    God listened to my prayers though, the other day A Huge FOR SALE SIGN infront of their house went up. The block applauded.

Am I to understant that you live in A single story home with neighbors close!! How close!!!

spideyjg - 1 week ago  » 

BBs certainly can travel but ants, spiders, and other general predators cruising around will find them tasty. Wandering around outside is out of the BB environment.
    Jim

I agree with the Fresh air I have a air purifier in the kids room!! and windows are opened a lot!!It really helps !! My husband Had Asthma since he was A kid and when we moved in to the boondocks with trees every where he has NOT had to use his inhaler in 8 years!!
    I live in an apartment when I was just starting out in life I swore I would never live in one again!! I am glad I haven't since!! I love my single home!! BB or not!!

19. watkinsnewan

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 17:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

ooh my PCO told me he could put a barrier of pesticides outside of my home to prevent any bug from crawling in!!But then again I am singing a Year long lease with my PCO who will for a small fee come out and spray every other month!!

20. BettyV4

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 25 2009 11:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a house adjoining another house that's infested and they don't spend the money to treat. Meanwhile our whole block is basically attached homes and I'm not sure how much this has spread. The only good thing at this point is they are selling their house. Yes it comes with bugs, but that's hard to know when you're looking for a home on a great block; great community; etc. The other part is that whomever purchases the house will have to gut it and that means an influx of whatever!!!!!!!!!!! At least it's a start towards living normally again. Been a long time.

21. enough already

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 2:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I have been using protection as far as gloves and mask. We do one room at a time and don't disturb it until it's vacuumed up. Yes, I do realize, even though they say it's non toxic, it does have its dangers. It's so fine that it must be dangerous for the lungs.

I am one that couldn't live with these for three years. Im pretty sure I would go nutty. It, to me, is worth the risks yet I totally understand that some of you feel the opposite. I will continue to write on this post to let you know how we are fairing.

In a nutshell, we obtained our bb by getting a free bed off of free cycle a few months ago. Bad Idea! Anyway, we started seeing them in various places after owning this free bed for about three weeks. Found them in every room. Dusted. Found five since. As I wrote the first post we were in the middle of a second dusting but hitting even more carefully in places we might have forgotten.

In the middle of all of this I had my own little science lab set up, that fancy printers loop with my five bugs set in them. The first experiment they died in two days. This time I put only but a few grains of dust, just to see how little they need to die but unfortunately that didn't do it. So I dabbed only one bug so he looked pretty white with powder. Tonight it has been 48 hours since I did that and four out of the five are dead. The last looking almost dead. They moved around enough where that powder spread around on all of them. It's creepy but fascinating at the same time.

I would love to find another solution to kill these suckers. As long as I keep finding them, I will continue to try different things to try and kill them. It has been cathartic to see them die while trying to rid this house of them I must say.

Anyway, Im glad I found this site and Im sorry OP for your child's asthma. That sure limits what you can do about this.

Thank you about the FAQ and the warnings. I will try and stress that more if ever recomending D.Earth.

22. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 8:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Since you've been on the board for awhile, this is likely not news, but I did notice that nobody above actually mentioned isolating the beds. If your problems are probably coming back in from the neighbors, and you're down to containment strategies for health reasons, this is exactly the kind of strategy that's left (in addition to living out of bags...) tho' you're probably doing it already.

http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-do-i-protect-my-bed-from-bed-bugs-part-i/

About close-together but physically separate houses: there are several people on the forum who are fairly sure that they got bugs which spread from next door, after tenants moved out from a bad infestation. See:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/suggestions-for-rooming-house-trash-on-front-lawn
    I expect that most of the bugs leaving a house wouldn't make it to the neighbors successfully, but even 2 (or 1 fertilized female) is too many...

Betty, if you don't have young kids who might play in it, this may actually be a good use of DE (by the outer edge of the house wall) if your house has eaves so it won't all wash away. Or a PCO may have an even better idea.

23. watkinsnewan

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 12:02:47
    #

Login to Send PM

good points meg!!
    as long as the right precautions are taken when using DE and they do not endanger others it is really there call what they do!!
    I personally used Ortho home defance max!!I used EXTREME caution !! I fell it was a little safer till the pro can come out!! which is only 3 days away!! Yea ..... 4 weeks of pure he11 waiting for one to pop up!! only two or three so far and no bites on anyone!!

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 18:42:23
    #

Login to Send PM

enough already - 16 hours ago  » 
    Well, I have been using protection as far as gloves and mask. . . . .
    Thank you about the FAQ and the warnings. I will try and stress that more if ever recomending D.Earth.

Thanks enough already!

Just to clarify for others -- lots of people mention a "dust mask" (not sure if that is what is meant by "mask" here, but experts tell us a full respirator mask is required for this AND for steaming -- which may surprise you -- and anything else which may cause you to inhale bad things).

25. Deathlyallergic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 23:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchybutdealing - 6 days ago  » 
    hi all. Me again. It has been a while. Our story is that we have been fighting these buggers on and off for 3 years. we had a few month reprieve just to get them again. We would like our coop to do something they say that no one else has complained and they don't want to spend the money to inspect other units. We have been treated full out at least 6 times with washing and bagging and living in plastic and frankly I just can't do that to my kids anymore. On top of it my 2 year old has terrible asthma and now has started reacting to the chemicals used on the bed bugs. At this point I really don't know where to turn. We just bag laundry and wash and dry hot hot. I spend my free time steaming and vacuuming, still we get a few bites. We are in NYC and frankly I don't know anymore where they are coming from: neighbors, kids' school...etc. I am really just done and can barely function anymore. I really need help but don't know where to turn as all of the exterminators only seem to eliminate for a period of time. We have caulked and everything. At this point we don't even see any bugs but occasionally get bites( invisible what the heck). Anyways guess I am just venting. Thanks.

I recently have been fighting a bed bug problem. Im in California, don't know where these things came from. I am sympathetic to your problem, I can't keep battling for 3 yrs thats insain. I found out that I am severely allergic to the point that I have to go emergently in to the doctor for steroid shots, breathing treatments, and prescription antihistamines, causing my all ready heart murmur to worsen, the bites turn in to big welps. Im a single mother with kids and have no one to lean on for help with them. I have had the exterminator out 4 times now, and again this Thurs.
    Im exhausted and have done everything every website, exterminator, literature has said, and yet they still exists. I want to try the Climbup or bug dome, from US BEDBUGS.com I have spent $1000+ on this issue and have exhausted my finances, trying to stay out of the hospital. I would like to be able to test where they are coming from and noticed there is a machine to mimic their attraction, CDC 3000
    Looking for anyway to get these things destroyed. Im scared. Im on anti-anxiety meds, due to the trauma these things have caused me.
    I sleep in clothing covering all my skin, including long socks and gloves, and wear Deet bug repellent to bed everynight.
    My bed is away from the wall, night stands, box springs and mattress are incased. I have bagged and washed everything washable, thrown out many things such as pillows, mattress covers, papers, magazines. Had the entire place, sprayed, dusted, fogged, and foamed twice.
    The exterminator is working with me unusually intense due to the nature of my life threatening allergic reaction from even 6 bites.
    I need anyone to help!!
    The company I bought the mattress encasement is sending me a complimentary incasement to double up to help ease my issue, due to the severity of my allergic reaction. I just need help to keep these things from killing me.
    Tamara

26. Deathlyallergic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 23:40:36
    #

Login to Send PM

enough already - 21 hours ago  » 
    Well, I have been using protection as far as gloves and mask. We do one room at a time and don't disturb it until it's vacuumed up. Yes, I do realize, even though they say it's non toxic, it does have its dangers. It's so fine that it must be dangerous for the lungs.
    I am one that couldn't live with these for three years. Im pretty sure I would go nutty. It, to me, is worth the risks yet I totally understand that some of you feel the opposite. I will continue to write on this post to let you know how we are fairing.
    In a nutshell, we obtained our bb by getting a free bed off of free cycle a few months ago. Bad Idea! Anyway, we started seeing them in various places after owning this free bed for about three weeks. Found them in every room. Dusted. Found five since. As I wrote the first post we were in the middle of a second dusting but hitting even more carefully in places we might have forgotten.
    In the middle of all of this I had my own little science lab set up, that fancy printers loop with my five bugs set in them. The first experiment they died in two days. This time I put only but a few grains of dust, just to see how little they need to die but unfortunately that didn't do it. So I dabbed only one bug so he looked pretty white with powder. Tonight it has been 48 hours since I did that and four out of the five are dead. The last looking almost dead. They moved around enough where that powder spread around on all of them. It's creepy but fascinating at the same time.
    I would love to find another solution to kill these suckers. As long as I keep finding them, I will continue to try different things to try and kill them. It has been cathartic to see them die while trying to rid this house of them I must say.
    Anyway, Im glad I found this site and Im sorry OP for your child's asthma. That sure limits what you can do about this.

Im willing to try ANYTHING!!! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.......So allergic, and trying to stay out of the hospital

27. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2009 18:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Deathly, please don't try just ANYTHING! I know you are concerned for your life especially since you have such a bad allergic reaction... The thing you are doing right is educating yourself about this problem before making any more treatment decisions. Your children can be affected by pesticides, DE, etc. and you are affected by the bites. Tough situation.

Traps and monitors will help you troubleshoot the problem, but will not solve it entirely, or reduce your bites enough to curb another bad reaction... I wasn't able to read the entire thread...are you in an apartment or single family home? Is caulking an option? That would at least minimize your bites in the short-term. I would caulk everything I could re: gaps in walls, etc. Also, I'd get a steamer (please see threads on different products available) and do all the upholstry/furniture, etc. Steaming made a noticeable difference in our household. Note: it kills bugs AND eggs. Please use the appropriate protective equipment (ie. mask, etc.). Nothing else does that, except for a few alcohol based contact killers. Hope this helps I'll need a little more time to go thru the thread more thoroughly and ponder before I can come up with something better. For now, these are two things that I personally know make a difference. Don't give up; we're all here with you!

28. Deathlyallergic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2009 23:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

meremortal - 5 hours ago  » 
    Deathly, please don't try just ANYTHING! I know you are concerned for your life especially since you have such a bad allergic reaction... The thing you are doing right is educating yourself about this problem before making any more treatment decisions. Your children can be affected by pesticides, DE, etc. and you are affected by the bites. Tough situation.
    Traps and monitors will help you troubleshoot the problem, but will not solve it entirely, or reduce your bites enough to curb another bad reaction... I wasn't able to read the entire thread...are you in an apartment or single family home? Is caulking an option? That would at least minimize your bites in the short-term. I would caulk everything I could re: gaps in walls, etc. Also, I'd get a steamer (please see threads on different products available) and do all the upholstry/furniture, etc. Steaming made a noticeable difference in our household. Note: it kills bugs AND eggs. Please use the appropriate protective equipment (ie. mask, etc.). Nothing else does that, except for a few alcohol based contact killers. Hope this helps I'll need a little more time to go thru the thread more thoroughly and ponder before I can come up with something better. For now, these are two things that I personally know make a difference. Don't give up; we're all here with you!

Thank you, Ill take any help I can get.....this has taken over my life in a matter of weeks, insane!!
    I have ordered the Climbups from usbedbugs.com.....my exterminator has much compassion for my severe situation and is working aimlessly to help me rid of this. I know I have inhaled so much during all this, and with a mask on. I go to bed at night fully geared as if I lived in alaska in the winter and Im in southern california.
    isn't steam cleaning costly? I wish I could do the thermal extermination, company Im working with offers it, but its at least $1500. Yes I live in an apt, but so far no one else has reported anything.
    Im truly scared for my well being because I have like a thyroiditis, aching joints, with a fever chill like symptom, tight chest short of breath all the time, my eyes burn, and much more.
    thank you for your input it is valued greatly, and my exterminator is learning more from me too, from my research, these things have got to go!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,735 posts in 48,882 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver