assessing my bb situation

(11 posts)
  1. bugger3210

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 18 2018 10:19:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so long story short, I went travelling and stayed in a place where I got bitten three days in a row (~30 bites in total) before I knew what bit me and how to deal with it. I ran all my clothes and backpacks through a dryer and switched rooms, but did not have a proper look at my suitcase (huge mistake). Also, since I slept with my laptop on my bed for one or two nights (bad idea in retrospect, yes), I also placed it in a series of bags (that got torn by the end of the trip). This was on Dec 29. A week later I got home and unpacked in the bathroom, and saw a live (kind of sluggish one though) adult bb in my suitcase. Again I took all the clothes and put them in garbage bins and took them to the dryer of the course of the next day. The suitcase itself stayed on the balcony for two days before I threw it away. My laptop had also stayed in a sealed bin bag since I arrived (14 days ago today), and 10 days ago I threw a rag soaking in 100% neem oil in the bag; I haven't opened the bag since.
    I am very allergic to the bites, in fact the sites of the original ones are still dark red and faintly itchy, even if it's been three weeks, so I would know if I was bitten (unless my skin reactions shifted dramatically, is that even possible?). Since my backpack had been in my room for like 1h before bagging it, I was afraid I brought some in my room as well. So I wrapped double sided tape around my mattress (on the floor, no bed) a few days after I arrived.
    I have not had any new bites since the 29th nor seen anything on the tape or otherwise since I unpacked. I'm still cautious, however, especially about the laptop. It's been in an airtight bag with a neem oil rag for almost 10 days now, would you say it's safe to use?
    Also in general, would you say it was the case of a lone hiker, and that I could slowly relax?

2. thirdusername

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Jan 18 2018 16:59:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert and don't know about neem oil so I googled it.
    discoverneem.com/bed-bugs-neem-oil.html
    >Neem oil could kill bed bugs, but neem is also a bed bug repellent.

Maybe someone with direct knowledge will respond.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. F. Pazos

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 18 2018 23:58:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you put neem oil in the computer? wow!!!
    I'm not a fan of neem oil as it drags them away, they hate its smell, and in 10 days there is more than enough time for them to be extremely fed up with it (and hungry)... If you open the bag, most likely any bug inside will try to run away.... if you put the bag inside a big plastic container and open the bag slightly and blow some of your breath to the opening, they will go there by instinct...so you will know if there are bugs inside.
    Take precautions before doing this as you don't want any possible bug running away

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  4. thirdusername

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 1:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos - 1 hour ago  » 
    in 10 days there is more than enough time for them to be extremely fed up with it (and hungry)...

That made me smile.
    I hope the bugs are really angry (I know they don't have emotions :-)).

5. F. Pazos

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 1:25:08
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 2 minutes ago  » 

F. Pazos - 1 hour ago  » 
    in 10 days there is more than enough time for them to be extremely fed up with it (and hungry)...

That made me smile.
    I hope the bugs are really angry (I know they don't have emotions :-)).

Haha!!!... you are right... but with time I learnt to be less technical in giving advice

6. bugger3210

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 3:40:31
    #

Login to Send PM

F. Pazos - 3 hours ago  » 
    Did you put neem oil in the computer? wow!!!
    I'm not a fan of neem oil as it drags them away, they hate its smell, and in 10 days there is more than enough time for them to be extremely fed up with it (and hungry)... If you open the bag, most likely any bug inside will try to run away.... if you put the bag inside a big plastic container and open the bag slightly and blow some of your breath to the opening, they will go there by instinct...so you will know if there are bugs inside.
    Take precautions before doing this as you don't want any possible bug running away

Thank you all for the info! would this mean that even after 10 days, they would be alive inside the bag? I've read some accounts saying it's a contact killer, but since I didn't put the oil exactly on the computer, the only thing they'd be in contact with is the smell. I got the idea from this website, and their product only has 5% of neem oil: bugproof.com/rag

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 14:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

You can read/see a video about research regarding treating items in a sealed bag with Cirkil/Proof "rag in a bag" in our Useful Tools page here:
    http://bedbugger.com/useful-tools/#cirkil

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. bugger3210

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Jan 20 2018 6:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the link! Also just as a general question, is it recommended to unpack my stuff (after putting them through the dryer again), or should I wait for longer?

9. bugger3210

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Jan 22 2018 14:31:45
    #

Login to Send PM

update: I have cleaned again my bed, sprayed my mattress with alcohol and renewed the sticky tape. Didn't find anything now, however I have just noticed a swollen, very painful (to touch and in general) but not itchy at all bump on my foot arch. Nothing else on my body. This feels strange, since all my other bites itched like crazy. It wasn't there this morning and I only noticed when I took my shoe off. Is there any chance this might be something else?

10. rae7755

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Jan 22 2018 16:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

im experiencing the same type of thing i cant tell if im getting bed bug bites or something else. all the bed bug bites ive known ive gotten have been 100% inflamed, swollen, and really itchy, now that we moved i get very tiny red looking rashes, not raised skin, but still itchy. Is it possible for bed bug bites to change depending on the type? i figured theyd all be the same but idk either

11. bugger3210

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Feb 3 2018 5:26:22
    #

Login to Send PM

update: 5weeks since my first bites and 4 1/2weeks since coming home from the holiday, and I have not had any new bites nor seen other evidence. Sticky tape caught nothing, and I set a yeast trap for a few nights and still nothing. What are the realistic chances there would be any bedbugs? Did I not get bit because of the sticky tape around my mattress?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,669 posts in 45,842 topics over 139 months by 20,188 of 20,991 members. Latest: BBNewbiePlzHelp, akeller0293, califrnia