Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Asking family to get checked?

(14 posts)
  1. Scared88

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 7:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

You can read my previous posts to understand my paranoia at this point. Anyway, my kids spent the weekend at family's house (I took precautions, even though I don't have confirmed BBs yet, including laundering on HOT all their belongings before sending them). When they returned, my son had this long line of what appears to be puncture bites (similar to what he's been getting 1-2 at a time here at home) - this is the worst I've ever seen it, and I know it didn't happen at home this time. Now I am completely paranoid that my family has BBs and potentially this is where I've gotten it from. They are known to buy used furniture and frequent Good Will and other second-hand stores. How do I politely suggest they get inspected for BBs? They know all about my fear and that I've been worrying about it for past couple months. But as most I talk to, complete denial that could ever happen to any of us. Am I overreacting??

bites_ by H H, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 9:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That is a scratch.

The hard object that has "snagged" the skin has literally cut through in a line removing part of the skin when the tension pulling the skin was greater than the surface tension of the skin.

The most immediately obvious indication of this is the fainter lines to the left and right which were made by the object as it passing increasingly closer and further away from the site where the cutting occurred.

So, based on this alone, no you do not ask anyone to inspect for bedbugs, that is reserved for when you actually have them yourself and then only if you strongly suspect they are the source.

Please be mindful of the impact they have on you and therefore the impact they could have on others if you make them concerned when you don't actually have an issue. Its a triangular response cycle that need to be powered down.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Scared88

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 10:01:30
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    That is a scratch.
    The hard object that has "snagged" the skin has literally cut through in a line removing part of the skin when the tension pulling the skin was greater than the surface tension of the skin.
    The most immediately obvious indication of this is the fainter lines to the left and right which were made by the object as it passing increasingly closer and further away from the site where the cutting occurred.
    So, based on this alone, no you do not ask anyone to inspect for bedbugs, that is reserved for when you actually have them yourself and then only if you strongly suspect they are the source.
    Please be mindful of the impact they have on you and therefore the impact they could have on others if you make them concerned when you don't actually have an issue. Its a triangular response cycle that need to be powered down.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

So yes my logical side wants to say that's a scratch. But I see one of the tiny pinprick marks toward the top that is not in center with the rest of the line. There is no raised area outside the tiny marks (i.e., the line in between the rest). And these dots look so very much like the others he's been getting randomly (in non-scratch settings).

Agree I don't want to cause my family any undue alarm, but always trying to weigh being proactive.

I have another PCO inspection tomorrow, hopefully I'll get another negative.

4. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 10:02:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg ....Sorry I haven’t responded right away -.was out of the country and decided to stay away from the internet for some time to clear my head .
    Yes I have those kinda “scratches “and after a couple of days a crust is form .I had them on my back (have scars to these days)and on my ankles .I tried make some experiments scratching mysel very very hard and never get that reaction .I can send you a photo of those scratches to compare Scared88 but Iam far from scaring you .I need to do extensive search for them this weekend !!!!Hang in there .I do really good deep vacuuming once a week and tried to declutter my place all the time ,keeping Also my clothes inside of the dresser drawers in ziplocks .

5. Scared88

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 10:21:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Iwantmylifeback - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Omg ....Sorry I haven’t responded right away -.was out of the country and decided to stay away from the internet for some time to clear my head .
    Yes I have those kinda “scratches “and after a couple of days a crust is form .I had them on my back (have scars to these days)and on my ankles .I tried make some experiments scratching mysel very very hard and never get that reaction .I can send you a photo of those scratches to compare Scared88 but Iam far from scaring you .I need to do extensive search for them this weekend !!!!Hang in there .I do really good deep vacuuming once a week and tried to declutter my place all the time ,keeping Also my clothes inside of the dresser drawers in ziplocks .

Have you ever confirmed BBs? I can't tell from your other posts.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 10:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Your reasoning for thinking it is not a scratch is due to one point not being in line with the others? It's on a flexible surface that's nowhere near flat either.
    It's a scratch.

7. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 11:41:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes ,I have found one very alive crawling on my bed back in the last July ..and after a search and found a nest (around 60 small ones )inside my bedrooms dresser.They were sitting on a metal trucks of the drawers ..Than I have found a poops under my glass cover of my nightstand . I had lots ofbooks on that night table so I wasn’t able to see those poops right away .Than I found one adoult one dried but intact on my windows sills in the very same bedroom behind the books .I had 2 professional treatments,but I was bitten afterwards so I sprayed blood myself ..Last time was have seen one alive was a n November last year I think but since the hen I was bitten ,scratched,also small red pinprick dots in my body .
    I have found 2 back in March when I was wiping inside of that dresser (I checked that dresser every 3 weeks or so taking out all 6 drawers .I didn’t see anything but in the bowl with the water I saw 2 of them (small ones)They were dead .So I can’t tell how long they have been there .
    I think they are still here even I don’t see them ...tiny ones ...last time I have sprayed almost a month ago .Anyway I do everything what I have learnt here in this Forum .Laundry sheets once a week ,dry my pillows and comforter ,interceptors (never found anything) encasment (double)steam and vacuuming in the regular bases .Looking for them inside of my couch .Nothing .I use Cimexa .
    My life it’s about getting clothes from the bag wore them ,steam them putting them back in the bags basically I wear the same stuff :-(,steam my pj every night and in the morning before put it back to the ziplock .It is a nightmare...I believe one day hopefully I will get rid of them for good .
    Or I moved out !!!

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 13:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Your reasoning for thinking it is not a scratch is due to one point not being in line with the others? It's on a flexible surface that's nowhere near flat either.
    It's a scratch.

Yes, agreed.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 1 2019 13:43:05
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    That is a scratch.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Yes, also agreed. Good advice.

10. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 2 2019 15:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Seriously get some Crossfire Spray.We bought ours off Amazon and havent seen one bug.But we had a Vikane treatment done and then started using CrossFire.It is honestly the BEST stuff ever.

11. SalsaVince

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 2 2019 17:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Does Crossfire help with scratches? I would think that would be bad to spray in an open wound.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  12. KeepingALevelHead

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 2 2019 19:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Just as an aside, as a fellow parent- it looks like a scratch that needs some TLC. In thinking it's a bite, you might not be caring for it the typical "scratch" way with washing and some type of cream or Neosporin to make sure it doesn't get infected. The redness around it can be a sign that it's started to get infected. Good luck!

Scared88 - 1 day ago  » 

bed-bugscouk - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    That is a scratch.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

So yes my logical side wants to say that's a scratch. But I see one of the tiny pinprick marks toward the top that is not in center with the rest of the line. There is no raised area outside the tiny marks (i.e., the line in between the rest). And these dots look so very much like the others he's been getting randomly (in non-scratch settings).
    Agree I don't want to cause my family any undue alarm, but always trying to weigh being proactive.
    I have another PCO inspection tomorrow, hopefully I'll get another negative.

13. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 2 2019 20:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck 👍

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Apr 3 2019 1:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Sound advice only if it were already confirmed as bedbugs and if you believed chemical control were the appropriate solution*.

While a “grab the gun and blast’em” approach approach may seem correct to some it is rarely the answer.

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 9 hours ago  » 
    Seriously get some Crossfire Spray.We bought ours off Amazon and havent seen one bug.But we had a Vikane treatment done and then started using CrossFire.It is honestly the BEST stuff ever.

* To explain. Chemical control with a liquid based has a low level of residual activity and is only really effective as a direct contact spray. Given that strong alcohols and mild detergents are known and effective contact killers their place is limited in a wildly with more efficacious dust based treatments. They work faster and are less toxic to use.

Given that the carrier solution to insecticide sprays is often petroleum distillates based (akin to gasoline) and its well understood you should not come into close contact with it you can see why it’s not advisable to spray it around you bed, especially when you have broken skin from a SCRATCH and are likely to be itching it.

If you want to cash in on a quick dopamine fix with a post can I suggest:

Grad a bottle or mild detergent solution or strong alcohol and have a trigger spray handy in case you see anything as they are great ways to kill insects on contact.

Our treatment program was Vikane gas to kill the main population and then Crossfire to resolve the final ones we continued to introduce.

It gives a much more ethical piece of advice and is more honest about your own circumstances.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver