Artwork, Canvas paintings, Oil, Acrylics, Photo Prints... Thermal/Nuvan

(3 posts)
  1. Covky

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 9:02:18
    #

Login to Send PM

We are waiting one more quote before we have the LL approve and decide what she will chip in on treatments (Thermal?PCO?Us getting a uhaul and treating our stuff as we move out?) after reading these forums for nearly two weeks I have found very little coherent data on artwork. Unanswered questions, old information etc. and I would like to compile it into one thread as I am sure that many could benefit.

We have about 20 16x20 canvas paintings, a few larger than that, another 25 mixed medium on canvas/wood. The painting was done mostly with acrylics, one or two oils, and the rest watercolor.

Could you weigh in on the best treatment plan? Regardless of method we intend to use sealed rubbermaid/sterilite containers packing them loosely and sealing them in with nuvan and letting them sit in a warm environment for the next 40 days, then shuffling the stuff around in the container and retreating it for safety sake. We are going to seal the larger pieces (those that cannot fit in a container) in a bag of 6mil plastic and do the same. I have read about the corrosive implications of Nuvan, and one reference suggested that it could harm pigments but no empirical data existed.

Also, could anyone weigh in with specifics (I have read about thermal damage but very little was art related directly) about Thermal and artwork? Especially materials such as Sculpey/Fimo sculptures.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 9:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't have any artwork on my walls at the time of thermal treatment, so I can't say anything about it.

I believe that many museums use an anoxic chamber to treat art, but I'm not sure about that.

I also think most of the conversation I've seen about the corrosive potential of DDVP has been centered on electronics, not art.

Lastly, don't forget that DDVP strips can cause items treated with it to smell like the strips, a smell some people find problematic.

3. gatbedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 16 2011 14:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I had heat treatment (propane) Left all painting on wall. Oil, Acrylic water... Nothing got damaged. BUT that was a home treatment. I didn't want to remove anything from home to be on the safe side.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs