"Artisanal" hipster steam PCOs on PBS Newshour

(19 posts)
  1. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 7:08:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Business segment of yesterday's PBS Newshour highlighted entrepreneurs and the "artisanal economy". One business profiled was Boston's "Green Planet Pest Control", two hispters with steamers.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/brooklyn-hipsters-help-save-middle-class/

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 7:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I really like and support all these homemade beer/pickle/iron lung businesses that are popping up, but don't get why they all want to look like Rob Reiner ala All in the Family...

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 7:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 11 minutes ago  » 
    ....... but don't get why they all want to look like Rob Reiner ala All in the Family...

We don't.

Some of us are far more scary looking than that.

Great article and something I am rather passionate about because what we used to call "second careers" encapsulates and celebrates these artisan qualities. I have tried to find their website to read more about them but I cant seem to find it. If anyone finds it please PM me, I am always looking for good and efficacious people to recommend in NY.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 9:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

They're in Boston. I liked Cassini's steam demo better. Perhaps it was his Katniss Everdeen lookalike partner.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 10:10:02
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.greenplanetpest.com/bed_bug_control.html
    here David

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 17:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I would welcome your input on their steam technique in the video and their treatment protocols if you're able to find out more.

I know we have EffeCi's work with the Cimex Eradicator wand as an example per Ci's note, but it can be hard for people to know if their technique with other models is correct.

Cilecto,
    From now on, I am going to refer to this as an artisanal bed bug website. Let me just go "curate" something...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 17:43:13
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 7 hours ago  » 
    They're in Boston. I liked Cassini's steam demo better. Perhaps it was his Katniss Everdeen lookalike partner.

I didn't notice. I was too busy thinking that they could adjust the wand to look like a Star Wars Light Saber.

Do I advertise Star Wars too much?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 0:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 6 hours ago  » 

cilecto - 7 hours ago  » 

I didn't notice. I was too busy thinking that they could adjust the wand to look like a Star Wars Light Saber.
    Do I advertise Star Wars too much?

We really need a video artist to do a mock up of EffeCi and Italian Katniss using light sabers to slay the bed bugs...

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 8:00:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 14 hours ago  » 
    David, I would welcome your input on their steam technique in the video and their treatment protocols if you're able to find out more.

This may seem harsh but one of the reasons for me wanting to reach out is that I can see they have the right attitude but have not worked out the right tools yet.

In short there is a very good reason why I never advocated steam before the CE and that was because the errors inherent in almost all other steamers are too great for me to consider it a "professional" tool. This is mainly because you need to deploy the "cloth over steamer head" method to get it to be at peak efficiency and that means you are rate limited by the width of the head of the steamer. I can hand decon with tweezers faster than that so I never liked it.

The higher temp means the thermal transfer occurs faster without the need for the "hold in place" and you can work at the speed that you would normally use a vacuum cleaner.

As such I could shoot some video but it would only be useful to those with the same kit, it would not help those with general steamers because they must be used in a different way.

Hope that explains.

David

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 8:34:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- thanks!

11. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 9:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Would they work outside of Massachusetts?

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 10:24:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed in NJ - 50 minutes ago  » 
    Would they work outside of Massachusetts?

Would you like us to ask them for you?

David

13. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 10:33:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 11:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am still waiting for an email back from a message I left them yesterday via their website form.

You may want to try phoning them. I would offer to do that but they may not understand my accent.

David

15. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 12:14:11
    #

Login to Send PM

David, if you patch me in on the call I could translate if need be. PM me when you're ready to put the call through.

16. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 13:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

The clip bothered me when they flipped the sofa over and started to merely steam the dust cover . . . instead of removing the dust cover and steaming the underside of the sofa. I realize this might have just been for the camera . . . and I'm hoping that's the case and that is not their protocol/technique.

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    You may want to try phoning them. I would offer to do that but they may not understand my accent.

I've not had any trouble understanding it . . . well, ok, maybe just a little. But that just makes me pay closer attention to each and every word.

17. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 13:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Abs,

Fiche Le Camp....

Maybe BD can translate for ya.

And, I'm not too busy to sideye BIS while speaking to Abs. Since it's French, there is no way it could be rude. I spent a semester in France (actually loved France and the French: they can insult you but it sounds kinda cool).

I won't hijack this thread. Later...

18. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 14:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

@TAOT . . . What?!?! . . . Did I say something wrong?!

But I used Google Translate and it translated the phrase to "Record the camp" . . . but the word "Fiche" as "plug" so regardless that I have no idea what that means . . . I will go with I don't think you're being nice to me!

(psssst TAOT, I was teasing . . . but I do love it when I can raise your hackles! . . . and wouldn't you think he should call me and personally thank me for all those yellow orbs of yumminess?!)

19. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 14:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting video. Thanks, cilecto!

Cilecto wrote,

You're right. Todd, one of the Green Planet Pest Control guys, looks like Peeta of The Hunger Games movie.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE