ARTICLES THAT CLEARLY MISSED SOMETHING!

(5 posts)
  1. BronxBitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jun 12 2010 11:34:44
    #

Login to Send PM

HEY ALL, CHECK THIS OUT. HOMEGIRL LAYS OUT ALL THE THINGS YOU OUGHT NOT TO BUY SECOND HAND, AND MENTIONS NOTHING OF BB'S. I WANT TO REACH OUT TO HER AND LEND A CLUE! AHHAH. THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY THAT THE MOST "HAZARDOUS" THREAT TO SECOND HAND STUFF IS NOT LISTED. *LE GRANDE SIGH*

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/383/20-things-you-should-never-buy-used/

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jun 12 2010 11:45:52
    #

Login to Send PM

In case you don't know, typing in all caps is considered the online equivalent of shouting at the top of your lungs, and many people see doing it as a pretty substantial breach of netiquette. As a result, people may react poorly to posts that are written in all capital letters like this one.

3. BronxBitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 12:55:29
    #

Login to Send PM

the caps...? its enthusiasm. jeez. anyway, they did it again:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/21-Things-You-Should-Never-usnews-2356162080.html?x=0

can't somebody tell them something about all of this?

and if nobody checks this, that's ok. you did. there's one. netiquette? thats a new one for me. wow. anyhow, i doubt they'd react at all since i barely come on here anymore. "poorly to my posts". im ok with that. you never know, somebody might stumble upon the info one of these days and agree with what i've posted and NOT be offended by the caps. just am trying to do my part to share what i've come across. i dont think its actually always seen as shouting at "The top of your lungs" thats a bit much. i know plenty of people that type in caps b/c they are simply excited and/or have enthusiastic ways of speaking/communicating. come on. i don't come on here to get scolded.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 13:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BronxBitten,

Buggyinsocal is right -- typing in all caps is considered a breach of netiquette. In letting you know this, she's not trying to get on your case. It can be helpful to know how our messages come across online.

I searched for "typing in all caps" in google and came up with 224,000 mentions -- all on the first page appear to be about netiquette.

Not knowing this does not reflect badly on you. However, it is considered shouting, and once you are aware of this, hopefully you will think differently about it.

I think the "rule" may have come about because all caps is hard to read.

Someone started a thread about the same Yahoo story earlier today, so more discussion is here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 29 2010 13:38:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bronx Bitten..

Actually, using all caps, except for a couple of words here and there, IS bad "netiquette." It certainly is always seen as shouting. I understand you never heard of that term before now. But what BuggyinSocal was sharing with you is important Internet manners. And she told you, and it's true, people do react poorly to posts, emails, etc written in all caps. That really may be the reason you've been having poor response rates.

Anyway, I'm linking to just one little article covering only the 10 most important "netiquette" issues. You'll see that all caps is considered shouting and is very rude.

http://internet.suite101.com/article.cfm/netiquette_guidelines

Actually, when i see the capital letters used like you did in your prior posts, it actually sounds to my brain like shouting. And morever, it is hard on the eyes to read. I bet that now that you know this is how everyone else who understands the rules sees it, you'll start to see it as shouting also. And when you see someone doing it, take the time to share the rules with that person.
    (If you saw someone with whom you were dining in a restaurant eating their green peas with a knife you'd probably gently suggest that there's a better way to do it that is more in line with what is socially acceptable eating behavior in that place).
    ;-D

So, maybe one day you'll get very angry at someone on line and want to shout...okay..i guess (although i'd avoid it) that would be the time to use all caps. Or if there is an emergency and you want to warn everyone on line here to leave our homes immediately and run for our lives, then use all caps. But if you're trying to make the letters bigger and easier for yourself and others to read then go ahead and make the "font" (size of the letters and numbers) larger or you can make the words stand out boldly so that they're darker.

Isn't it wonderful that there's always something new to learn?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323