Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Article about bed bugs & over-the-counter foggers (Hot Shot Bed Bug Fogger etc.)

(7 posts)
  1. ItchyNYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 22:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's an article from Smithsonian.com about 3 over-the-counter foggers (Hot Shot Bed Bug and Flea Fogger, Spectracide Bug Stop Indoor Fogger, and Eliminator Indoor Fogger) tested in a study by Susan Jones and Joshua Bryant of Ohio State University and how they don't work:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2012/06/bed-bugs-are-even-peskier-than-we-thought/

2. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 7 2012 22:23:59
    #

Login to Send PM

We knew but thank goodness we now have the data. Next stop - getting "bed bugs" pulled from the labels on those things.

Wish the article hadn't gone all all "Euw teh superbuzg!" & spent less time on the speculation about resistance & more time on the definitely ineffective mode of delivery.

The problem of resistance is far from universal - even if say, we find populations of resistant bugs in 3 random buildings in Sometown, that doesn't mean all the bugs in Sometown are resistant. Nobugsonme did a nice post about bedbug genetics that goes some way to explaining the complexities of resistance; http://bedbugger.com/2011/12/16/how-did-bed-bugs-get-here-did-they-never-leave-recent-research-on-genetics-and-inbreeding/

3. ItchyNYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 0:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The other message I got from this article is that despite my hoping for success in getting rid of the bugs, apparently for anyone who has more than a light infestation, it's next to impossible to get rid of them even with a PCO. Very discouraging to read that.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 1:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The key issue with treatment of more advanced infestations of bedbugs is that it takes experience even if you have access to professional grade products its a lot more about how you use and less about what you use.

The reality is that the same goes for most things in life be it home improvements or a medical procedure, the more experience you have the more likely you are to get the result you hope for.

Just make sure you go with a professional who aims for eradication rather than the ones that jump onto the new 3 treatment "control" protocols that were launched in Vegas last week. My personal opinion is that such individuals and companies could find themselves in hot water with the FTC if they attempt to use the word professional to describe themselves.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. ItchyNYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 1:17:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David!

6. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 4:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

"Control protocols"?!
    You're joking? You mean members of the pest control industry rocked up to Vegas, said; "We don't know what the hell we're doing" & then suggested that ignorance, incompetence, & idiocy become industry standard?

I remember a long thread about house rules on swearing, I don't recall what the final decisions were, so I won't say what I want to say about "control protocols".

7. ItchyNYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Sep 9 2012 19:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Wasn't entirely sure what you were talking about until I found out about the Bed Bug Summit. For anyone who doesn't know about it:

http://www.bedbugcentral.com/summit/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs