Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » How bed bugs are changing the world

Are we sheep???!! We all have to speak up! We need to demand action.

(17 posts)
  1. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 8:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Are we just going to sit here and go down with the ship? Everyone knows that bed bugs have resistance to the only classes of pesticides that are allowed by the EPA to treat them. Unless we (in huge numbers) demand that our Senators and Representatives allow the tougher pesticides that the EPA made illegal in 2001 and 2004 (Diazinon and Durban (Chlorpyrifos)) or even just make them allow us to use chemicals that other civilized countries are allowed to use (Proproxur, Canada), etc. we will suffer. There already is an underclass that can't afford to get rid of these things, and social workers, nurses, those in the hospitality industries, rental properties will follow.

We can't wait 'til this situation swallows us. I can't do this again, can you? They sit there in their ivory towers and tell us to use heat ($1,000's of dollars) so only rich people get to live without itchy bites.

The news media has stopped running articles about this issue because it's old news or they don't want to alarm people, but the truth is that the numbers of people dealing with this are increasing every single day. You can google the Jeff White (I think that's his name) video from Bed Bug Central from the end of last year that calmly explains this fact. People are getting this that have issues that prevent them from getting rid of it, more and more will be exposed if we don't have better tools.

They won't even let us use a method described as easy, safe and effective that people used before DDT (sulfur candles) because they have to protect adults from themselves. (And yet, cars, alcohol, cigarettes, and farm equipment is legal.)

I had the top woman in charge of this issue in my state, yesterday, tell me that if I just tried to "understand the bugs" I would realize that they are shy and are more afraid of you than you are of them. I kid you not!! So I guess that was to tell me that I needed to get used to living with them. She says the key is communication. But HOW DO YOU KILL THE BUGS after you tell everyone you have them?

We like our anonymity, but will we really suffer in silence over and over again.

One of the top experts on bed bugs in this country, Dr. Dini Miller of Virginia Tech, had this to say about bed bugs recently "The cost of having a product registered is now estimated to be around $ 100 million.", then she mentions that there has been a 10-15 year trend to reduce the number of pesticides allowed indoors. She finishes with this message to us, "if bed bugs should become as big a problem as they were at the beginning of the 20th century, the public may demand that the federal government register products that are effective against bed bugs. We will just have to wait and see. At this time, we do not know of any product that is in development specifically for bed bug control."

This is from an expert, if we don't demand that the federal government register products that are effective against bed bugs. The experts aren't going to relay that message, they are "waiting to see" if we will. But we just hunker down and suffer in silence as this problem gets bigger and bigger. If any specific customer wants to use green methods to take care of their problem, be my guest, but this situation is getting out of hand, and will continue to if we don't speak up.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 8:56:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It won't be long before everyone knows someone who dealt with a bedbug problem.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 9:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Preaching to the choir.

Anyone can point out a problem; get out there and do it, change things.

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 10:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

@jimdanca What can we do before it's too late? In your position as a PCO and inventor, are you making this point to decision makers? I think the general public just relies that someone out there is going to take care of issues like this.

@bigdummy So I have been calling my representatives, I've called the EPA and the woman who is in charge of bed bug efforts in my state. What other things do you see as being useful/ effective to cause a change?

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 10:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know, it's not something that's on my radar or an interest of mine; you'll need to figure that out. Just keep moving forward, there's always one more approach, one more contact, etc...

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 10:54:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I would skip bed bugs for now and learn the differences from the 40s-50s as compared to the way things are now. Think construction; HVAC, sealed windows, smaller house lots, larger apartment buildings. Consider California's strict rules on chemicals, automotive exhaust, foods.

7. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 11:12:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't change my house to make it more bed bug unfriendly.

Even if your current interest isn't bed bugs, I hope you will call your representatives as a favor to the people struggling on these boards, we need proproxur and we could use other chemicals than that that are legal in other countries, such as Canada, etc.

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 12:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

You're missing my point.

9. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 12:23:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand. I just want people to make some noise about this issue. We need more effective pesticides to be allowed in this fight.

10. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 12:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

There was an article in my favourite supermarket weekly magazine this week here n the U.K. where an actress said she got bedbugs from an hotel in Oslo. She recommended using a PCO who was able to get rid of her bedbugs in 6 weeks. Sounds like bedbugsvare soon to be a topic in polite society.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 12:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Noise without a viable solution is just that.
    You need to think much broader or you'll never even see the true obstacles.

12. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 13:08:14
    #

Login to Send PM

@Bigdummy Isn't the EPA blocking access to Proproxur and other effective pesticides a true obstacle? What do you see as the true obstacle?

@frightened I'll look that up, thanks! Do they use Proproxur in the UK?

13. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 15:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

@barelyliving You're right. People need to get together and make noise. One person alone can possibly, maybe, potentially effect change if they're persistent enough but that could takes YEARS if it happens at all.

People in the US should call their Representatives every time they're disturbed by bb's - any time day or night. "Oh, did I wake you at 3am? Sorry, I wish I wasn't up either but there's a family of bb's partying on my pillow. Now, how about those pesticides?"

14. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 15:39:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug control isn't just about pesticide usage. Other strategies need to be utilized especially in multi unit buildings.

15. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 16:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

@Jim I've got a quote from the article with Dr. Dini Miller from VA Tech saying maybe someday the public will demand effective pesticides. That tells me that my instincts are right in saying that this isn't available right now. Some people don't have the ability to pay over $1000 for an exterminator that takes the time to do steam, etc., or pay for a dog to narrow down the location. Also, heat, etc. is a ridiculous dream for many people. There is already an underclass of people just living with this. Yes, we need the more effective pesticides that are already available and the EPA is blocking us from using.

16. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 16:26:19
    #

Login to Send PM

@BBNL Yes, thank you!!! I wish I had their home numbers.

17. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 16:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

@BBNL Yes, thank you!!! I wish I had their home numbers.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,316 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto