Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Are we compromising effectiveness of treatment?

(8 posts)
  1. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 9:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to post twice but I'm so anxious and have so many questions

PCO sprayed whole house Monday. We are supposed to be running all clothes/linens etc through the dryer, and vacuuming the whole house once a day. This may be overkill--we saw one bug 10 days ago on a couch that is now discarded, had a K9 alert to the wall behind it only--but neither we nor a PCO found any other signs anywhere of bugs (no fecal, nothing whatsoever anywhere.) So we may be treating for no reason and wasting a lot of money.

We've only been able to vacuum once, and all our clothes are still tied up in garbage bags. Our dryer is running almost constantly, but we're retreating clothes we've been wearing trying to maintain enough to be able to dress for work/etc. I am gone 12 hours a day because of work--my wife is as well (we bus) and this sheer amount of work is overwhelming.

Our vacuum is a canister vac so I'm trying to minimize risk by washing everything in hot soapy water after I dump the canister in a garbage bag outside, but then it's not dry in time to vacuum again the next night. I'm having panic attacks and a mental breakdown about all the clutter caused by all our stuff being on bags laying around everywhere, all our furniture is disarray.

The PCO said we could stop dressing out of ziploc bags so my wife has stopped, and I'm scared too that that will compromise the safety of people we visit and places we go.

I work today, tomorrow there is a family dinner we cannot skip, and things are happening all weekend--I'm out of sick time at work and don't know how to get the time to get this all done--I want to sort and clean and inspect things and it's just not happening. I'm already only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night, and I get overwhelmed and have panic attacks and nothing is getting done.

If I assume the worst and we did have a very small infestation, are we likely screwing ourselves because we're just not finding the time to tackle everything we need to do?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 10:25:02
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like your response to one bedbug is causing a lot of upheaval. You may have already solved the problem.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 11:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just always hearing "there's never just one bedbug" and we did have a K9 alert, though without confirmation... I am just so scared we'll find out 3 months from now that we have a fullblown infestation because we didn't do enough....

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 12:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can go 14 days without finding any more bedbugs, you probably solved the problem.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 12:14:26
    #

Login to Send PM

All sounds crazy to me. I would put the vacuum down to say the least. You'll probably be fine, sounds like a lot of craziness. I would talk with the PCO one last time to see exactly what he suggests at this point.

Good luck

6. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 14:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

You mean it sounds like we're free and clear--or that I am crazy? trust me, I feel crazy with the severe mental health damage this has done... I am going to get some passive monitors for the future, for peace of mind...

7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 16:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Some bedbug treatments are easy. If it's caught early enough, one treatment can solve a problem. Things can get trickier when there are multiple apartments involved or if 'bombs' have been set off on a severe infestation. Or if there are bugs in multiple rooms in the same house or apartment.

8. thebugsgomarching

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 19:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

This sounds a lot like our situation - I think I posted on another one of your posts.

Over 9 weeks ago we found a single unfed (male?) bedbug crawling on a couch cushion in the evening. The freak out ensued (I am already a bedbug paranoid person prior to this), and we brought in a dog the next day. An alert was made on our toddler's bed frame (not the mattress which we separated from the frame for the check), and that was all in our apartment - not even the couch. Additional alerts were made to two recliners in the downstairs apartment which belongs to my parents, and the toddler regularly goes between the two homes so it is practically one household.

The only "sign" of bugs we could find were 3 bites on my back that were huge but didn't itch. They popped up the day of the check, but I must have got them a few days prior on a night I slept on the couch where the bug was found.

No fecal on any of the beds between the two floors. No other bugs, no casts, nothing. The handler and pco examined the recliners in nooks and crannies we didn't know existed. Couldn't find anything. She still suggested bringing in another pco to treat with chemicals (she does heat). My parents own the home and wanted to wait.

Course of action: Removed the recliners to the dump, removed the area rug they were on, put on encasements and passive climb-ups on all the beds. Active monitors in each bedroom and living room. Removed the toddler bed in heavy wrapping to the garage. We went through the prep work thinking we were going to go forward with treatment as soon as we got further confirmation. All clothes in plastic then bins. Anything else soft was heat treated and vacuum bagged. Vigilance in keeping books and toys off the couches, furniture cleared, beds only used for sleeping, etc.

9 weeks later we have not caught anything in any passive or active monitor. Nobody has been bitten, and no other signs can be found anywhere else. We feel extremely lucky. Like you, I still have extreme anxiety over the situation and I feel like any day they are just going to come out of the woodwork! We may have jumped the gun with discarding some items, but I would rather do that and hope that was the reason we don't have a current issue.

In short, I think if it was just me I would have treated right away anyway because I am so paranoid - but am glad that things went the way they did. 9 weeks later and we are still living out of bins, but do leave more things around than we did for a while.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993