Are they gone. My bed bug hell.

(13 posts)
  1. tiredfredi

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Apr 27 2019 16:20:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m 44 and this is my first experience of bed bugs. We’d been on our first Airbnb trip and I noticed at the house the carpet had fleas, to cut a long story short ..we started getting mysterious bites shortly after returning from our trip.

My children were bitten and I didn’t know what it was,I kept taking them to the GP as I thought it was the start of chickenpox or some allergic reaction. Then I treated the house for fleas thinking it might be that.By this time my children were been viciously bitten, 7 bites every time on their back, leg and shoulder. The bites sometimes came in threes but often a zig zag pattern. They were extremely itchy.

I then googled and read, I feared it might be bed bugs but had no experience of this.I vacuumed everywhere and noticed that there was a crevice near my children bed and along the skirting board. I vacuumed the crevice and after moving the nozzle down and near the bed noticed a small round brownish red bug on the bed. I vacuumed it up and there was a small explosion of blood. I was freaked out!

I moved the kids into another room, fresh bedding and de cluttered and vacuumed that room.The next day we noticed a whole load of more bites! By this point I was losing sleep, my mind and growing more anxious, it was terrible. I noticed a shell of a bed bug under a toy box in the new sleeping room. More vacuuming.I sealed up cracks. For a few days we noticed some tiny crusty bed bugs in the seam of our children mattress (the linen is now bed bug sheets so not sure if this got them).

Since then I bought sprays and kept vacuuming. It’s been six days and no bites. I got some DE and sprinkled it along the skirting boards, the entrances to rooms, etc. I have been using an electric fan in our room which could be helping because of maybe the carbon dioxide that it spreads around?

Is it possible this is it? Have they gone? I’m terrified of another set of bites, I wake up in the middle of the early hours just to check the house. Part of me can’t really believe the problem is gone.

2. TheAvenger

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 8:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, TiredFreddi, The bite pattern could also mean "Chiggers" which also suck, but both have similar bite patterns. Just to be sure you're rid of them, I'd buy some botanigard 22wp. It worked like magic for us and we had a LARGE infestation of bedbugs. Chiggers are relatively similar to bedbugs, so Id assume Botanigard would work onn them as well, as it attacks caripace base bugs. Anyway, They stopped feeding within days of the first spray, and we haven't seen any since. Just mix with water, and spray around the house (we sprayed EVERYWHERE). We used no safety gear even though it says to. It's really not risky unless you're hypoallergenic,have asthma, or a weak immune system (from something like HIV). If you are any of these, then I'd reccomend using the protective gear that is described on the bag. I bought mine on ebay second hand from a guy that sells in in small packs for 10$. the original is sold for about 60-100$ for a 1 LBS bag, but you honestly only need about 4 grams to do the inside of an entire house (4 grams *one tablespoon* mixed with 1 gallon of water). You may be able to find a similar deal if you just look around on the net a bit. Good Luck!

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 8:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

That's shit advice.
    Post an image of the insects that you're finding, that's quite a lot of bites for a small amount of bed bugs, there may be something else you're overlooking.
    There are no "bite patterns," logical bite locations, but no mythic three bites in a row or zig-zag or triangle.

4. TheAvenger

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 8:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

No it's not alot of bites for a few bugs.. one bedbug can bite multiple times in one feeding as they look for better flow. 7 bites is nothing for even just 1 bug. I'm well aware of how they work. I had them for 2 years upon moving to a new house. Tried everything, and finally found the research done by Pennstate U, suggesting beauveria bassiana strain gha (active ingredient in botanigard).. Used it once.. and they're gone. It's a big house, and has lots of places to hide.. Anyway, If he's finding bedbug shells, (I assume he's already looked them up) then the situation is pretty obvious. Especially if this is just returning from a trip.. Bedbugs frequently hitchhike on luggage. It's no surprise. And yes, we've had the same patterns on our daughter from bedbugs. Also not surprising. Though I think the pattern is more "random" than anything.
    Anyway, freddi, waste no time debating. Just spray and be rid of them completely. It's cheap and very easy. 10$ bucks and about an hour of time with a spritzing bottle. No sense in chancing it spreading. It's analogical to waiting to see if your cancer gets bigger. Believe me.. large infestations are a nightmare.

5. SalsaVince

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 9:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Avenger, I see you are new here. There have been a lot of discussions on here about Botanigard and other biological pesticides. While the concept seems interesting, there is much debate on how effective it is and the theory behind it. What I haven't gotten to hear are success stories that support its effectiveness. It sounds like you have one. Please start a new thread and share the details of your experience. The more information, the better, keeping it as scientific of a process as possible. For example, do you have any pictures of the bugs that you initially found. Was your infestation confirmed by a professional? What size was it? How many rooms were they located? Where did you apply it? How did you measure the results? Did you find dead bugs afterward? You get the idea. Prepare for a debate, but I'm willing to keep an open mind to it if the facts support its effectiveness. It would be better suited for its own thread though. I'm just a former bed bug survivor like yourself and always glad to hear of new treatments that we can add to our arsenal of how to fight them.

But back to the OP's question, if you do have bed bugs and you were having that much activity, it's unlikely you would be able to get rid of them within just a few days of vacuuming and applying DE. DE can actually take over a week to begin killing the bugs so you wouldn't see much of an effect until then. If you do find another bug, please post it on here so one of the experts can confirm what you're dealing with. Monitors would be very helpful to give you an idea of where they are at, where they're coming from, and how many there are, and let you measure your progress as time goes on. Also, could you give us some time frame of your travel and when you started experiencing bites and moving rooms. Are the kids still in a different room? As you may have read, switching rooms could make it more difficult to treat and spread the issue. Give us an update when you can.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 10:06:17
    #

Login to Send PM

TheAvenger - 1 hour ago  » 
    No it's not alot of bites for a few bugs.. one bedbug can bite multiple times in one feeding as they look for better flow. 7 bites is nothing for even just 1 bug. I'm well aware of how they work. I had them for 2 years upon moving to a new house. Tried everything, and finally found the research done by Pennstate U, suggesting beauveria bassiana strain gha (active ingredient in botanigard).. Used it once.. and they're gone. It's a big house, and has lots of places to hide.. Anyway, If he's finding bedbug shells, (I assume he's already looked them up) then the situation is pretty obvious. Especially if this is just returning from a trip.. Bedbugs frequently hitchhike on luggage. It's no surprise. And yes, we've had the same patterns on our daughter from bedbugs. Also not surprising. Though I think the pattern is more "random" than anything.
    Anyway, freddi, waste no time debating. Just spray and be rid of them completely. It's cheap and very easy. 10$ bucks and about an hour of time with a spritzing bottle. No sense in chancing it spreading. It's analogical to waiting to see if your cancer gets bigger. Believe me.. large infestations are a nightmare.

No, I'm quite sure it's shit.

7. TheAvenger

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 10:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, Salsa. I'm really not looking for a debate. Just trying to help someone out before they get too deep in the bug problem. I'm not really the internet debating type. There's simply too many unwarranted angry attacks from people to even attempt a debate on the internet (See above example).
    I can tell you that, yes, they were bedbugs. We had called an exterminator to take care of the problem. 1526$ later, they came back. So I threw that Idea to the wind, and started my own experimentation with different products. I still have about 45 LBS of Diatomaceous Earth sitting in my garage, as a spoil of war. It proved mildly effective, along with various different black label bugsprays.. After a long, hard-fought battle, I finally found the PSU "fix" of beauveria bassiana, Which they mixed with a small amount of oil to get it to stick to surfaces. I simply looked up the active strain of beauveria bassiana that they used, and found a product that had the same strain. Anyway, We basically covered the entire house walls, behind pictures, all floors, all creases, all furniture, which was relatively easy because it's basically spraying water. me and my son did the whole place in a little over an hour. Anyway, after that, they finally put up the white flag and "keeled" over. We found various bugs around the house covered in what looks like a white crystalline hair, which is the effects of the fungus. Haven't seen one in almost 3 months, and since there are no dissenting parties (BedBugs) present to say otherwise, I've declared myself the victor. lol

8. TheAvenger

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 10:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

One last thing, people should know, be aware that the GHA strain of beauveria bassiana can actually kill off honey bees. So if you're a bee keeper, you may not want to use this, or atleast make sure you've discarded all gear, clothing, that may be carrying residue, as the spores can infect and spread through an entire hive, destroying it.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 10:33:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Beauveria Bassiana products are turning out not to be the magic bullet that people thought they might be. There are maximum heat limits that can be easily reached seasonally and geographically.
    It's also not wise to spend time and money without any supporting evidence, there are far more causes for skin lesions than bed bugs alone.
    I've fed hundreds of bed bugs, multiple bites are possible but are not the norm. Nor is there any benefit to multiple punctures, I've had them find blood on the first or second try on my hands and fingers, which isn't exactly the best location to feed on.

10. TheAvenger

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 10:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bigdummy, I'm not sure what your problem is. Freddi has already said he has found bedbug shells, granted he could be mistaken on what they were without a photo. But, otherwise, I've told you that it has already worked in my specific case. It's almost as if you want me to be wrong for no apparent reason. This is exactly why I refuse to "debate" over it on the internet. People just simply believe whatever they want, and say "Nuh-uhh" when told otherwise. Regardless, take care, to any involved in conversation. Good day.

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 11:13:00
    #

Login to Send PM

TheAvenger,

Do you have qualifications as an expert in pest control? Otherwise I believe the forums have strict rules regarding providing treatment advice to others.

Botanigard 22WP is also labeled as "This product is potentially pathogenic to honey bees" so not sure what your point was about that.

Its use is also only approved in "Indoor/Outdoor Nursery,
    Greenhouse, Shadehouse, Commercial Landscape, Interiorscape and Turf.", i.e , not where people live.

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 12:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

TheAvenger - 1 hour ago  » 
    Bigdummy, I'm not sure what your problem is. Freddi has already said he has found bedbug shells, granted he could be mistaken on what they were without a photo. But, otherwise, I've told you that it has already worked in my specific case. It's almost as if you want me to be wrong for no apparent reason. This is exactly why I refuse to "debate" over it on the internet. People just simply believe whatever they want, and say "Nuh-uhh" when told otherwise. Regardless, take care, to any involved in conversation. Good day.

I speak from experience, I've been handling bed bugs for six years. The majority of client identifications are not actually bed bugs. Given the information from the original poster it sounds like there needs to be some clarification before going further.

Yes, it can work, but there are issues that have yet to be released to consumers that PCOs are becoming aware of.
    There are far more people reading this than are logged on, bad advice will be pointed out when spotted, some just have a gentler approach.

13. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Apr 29 2019 18:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

TheAvenger,

I misread your statement about bees; thought you were saying that Aprehend may hurt honey bees and BG22WP does not. I see that's not what you said so I retract that part of my post.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies