Are they gone

(12 posts)
  1. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2016 9:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok so I will make this short as I can. I'm having really bad anxiety and I'm finding it very hard to move passed.
    Ok let me start at the beginning. Labour day weekend is the weekend we knew for sure we had them. Bed bugs I mean. We imminently vacated all the bedrooms. I sent my 2 kids away so they would not be bitten as well. We had our first treatment September 12. And a follow up 2 weeks later. In that time I got rid of my bed. Did all the necessary stuff with clothing and such. On the second treatment they said my home was cleared. So we gave it another week and then went to watch the hockey game and someone was bit. Keep in mind this is after second treatment. So we got rid of our sofas as well. We sealed them in a moving bag big enough for a full sized sofa and took them to the trash bins. They treated for a 3rd time on October 19th. On the day of our last treatment we also had a new bed delivered by sleep country. During the last treatment they put all the mattresses in the mattress cases. And gave the all clear again. I may also add he sprayed my kids bed frames. Just the legs that touch the floors. We put double sided tape on everything g that touches the floors as well. Anyways my kids came home that very next weekend and it took 2 days and my son was only bitten twice. I seen and killed the bug that did it. I called the pest control company and my property manager and they sent an email mail to get a supervisor out asap. Last week the bug guy came and did an investigation. He also had a dog with him. Was here for over an hour. And again been told all clear. I also want to add that when my son was bit we sent them right back to the grandparents just in case. Through this entire process I have been sleeping on a air mattress in my basement. Too scared to go back to my room. Since the last treatment on October 19 my hubby has been sleeping in our room with no bites or anything. My question is how long after will we know for sure if we got rid of them for good. My kids are coming home and I want to feel safe going to my own bed. HELP PLEASE

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2016 9:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am no expert. The usual rule for a single dwelling is 56 days of no sightings, no eggs and no fecal stains.
    Are your children's beds made of wood? If so you really should dismantle the beds and search every screw hole, wood knot for any signs of bugs, eggs and fecal droppings. Keep some sellotape to hand just in case you find some so you can capture them. If you find some then you should call back the PCO because he has not done his job properly.
    Bedbugs will not harm you, they just feed off our blood and irritate our skin. That said most of us find it really distressing especially the 48% of us who react to bites., me included
    If it drags on then consider seeing a therapists to help you with your fears.
    You have my sympathy it is something never forgotten even when you win which you will or may have already won.

3. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2016 11:19:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I do hope it was the last of it. I do have extreme anxiety even discussing it with the property here or even the pest control guy. I cry and can not control it my breathing becomes laboured and I start to stutter. Actually it is like that no matter whom I am speaking with.

I want to also say orkin was the pest control company used. And when they came in with the dog he had said he lifted the mattresses and had the dog in and all around. and nothing......do I believe it this time. I'm finding it hard to. Really hard.

4. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2016 11:20:44
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi. I am no expert. The usual rule for a single dwelling is 56 days of no sightings, no eggs and no fecal stains.
    Are your children's beds made of wood? If so you really should dismantle the beds and search every screw hole, wood knot for any signs of bugs, eggs and fecal droppings. Keep some sellotape to hand just in case you find some so you can capture them. If you find some then you should call back the PCO because he has not done his job properly.
    Bedbugs will not harm you, they just feed off our blood and irritate our skin. That said most of us find it really distressing especially the 48% of us who react to bites., me included
    If it drags on then consider seeing a therapists to help you with your fears.
    You have my sympathy it is something never forgotten even when you win which you will or may have already won.

5. Frauleinash

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2016 12:49:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Your PCO should have told you NOT to stop sleeping in your beds because of the risk of spreading the infestation to other parts of your home. See, if you have bedbugs in your bed, and you decide to sleep somewhere else... They WILL search for you. I know it's hard, but you need to keep everyone in their own beds for now. ?

There's false positives and false negatives when it comes to the bedbug sniffing dogs, so your PCO can tell you that it's 'all clear' and it may not be the case. Have you gotten any climb up interceptors for the beds? Sleeping in your own beds should not be a problem if you isolated the beds, and I know you said that you encased all the mattresses, which is great. I will say that I did the same thing with the double sided tape and it didn't work out very well, it just wasn't sticky enough, so I'd get the actual interceptors that were made for it.

It gets easier as time goes by. When I first started out, I was a horrible mess of a person allllll the time. I woke up 5+ times a night and took forever to fall asleep. The lack of sleep took its toll on my relationships, I was snapping at everyone and anxious all the time. I find that learning as much as possible about the things that scare me definitely helped me feel better about this war we're all fighting.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 6 2016 13:10:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the PCO treat the whole house the first time? Just the bedrooms? You vacated your bedrooms and moved to the rooms where there are sofas? He didn't treat those rooms and also not the sofas? There was no reason to throw out the bed and the sofas because these could be treated. Orkin doesn't use any vacuum/heat/steam protocols?
    You sent your kids away and then they came back. It's possible they brought bugs with them and then brought them back or also brought back from another place where they stayed (or brought them to that place). Depends if their articles were searched prior to going away during the treatment phase.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 5:13:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 15 hours ago  » 
    Did the PCO treat the whole house the first time? Just the bedrooms? You vacated your bedrooms and moved to the rooms where there are sofas? He didn't treat those rooms and also not the sofas? There was no reason to throw out the bed and the sofas because these could be treated. Orkin doesn't use any vacuum/heat/steam protocols?
    You sent your kids away and then they came back. It's possible they brought bugs with them and then brought them back or also brought back from another place where they stayed (or brought them to that place). Depends if their articles were searched prior to going away during the treatment phase.

Orkin treated the whole house.
    And yes I vacated my rooms and sent my kids away. I now it is not what should be done. But my fear is far too great. And no we did not move to the sofas. The very first night bitten my hubby moved to the sofa not even thinking. We know that's how they got into my sofa.
    Orkin did do steam treatment as well on the first and pretty sure the second time they were in my home.
    As for sending the kids away no I do not think they are bringing it from where they really staying. They have been there since September long weekend ( labour day weekend) had the issue come from there we would have known. Espically since everyone knows what to look for....
    I must say my hubby has been up on the floor with the bedrooms for over 2 weeks now. And if we still had them he would have been found and bitten by now correct?

8. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 13:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert bu Yes your hubby would have been bitten if he has been sleeping in an infested room for 14 days.
    Depending on temperature, humidity and other factors a bedbug will bite very 3-5 days and possibly a bit longer sometimes.

9. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 14:24:20
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 27 minutes ago  » 
    I am no expert bu Yes your hubby would have been bitten if he has been sleeping in an infested room for 14 days.
    Depending on temperature, humidity and other factors a bedbug will bite very 3-5 days and possibly a bit longer sometimes.

He hasn't been bitten in our bed. And as far as I know my son's room was the only issue left. It gets pretty chilly upstairs. Even though they were in my son's they would have found their way to my room right as there was no one sleeping in my son's bed?

10. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 14:50:58
    #

Login to Send PM

At my wits end - 23 minutes ago  » 

He hasn't been bitten in our bed. And as far as I know my son's room was the only issue left. It gets pretty chilly upstairs. Even though they were in my son's they would have found their way to my room right as there was no one sleeping in my son's bed?

I suppose it depends on how far your bedroom is from your son's room. Bedbugs mainly find their victims by detecting CO2.
    Could you ask your husband to spend a night in your son's room? After he has slept there, if he is bitten it may take some time before his bites appear.

11. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 18:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 3 hours ago  » 

At my wits end - 23 minutes ago  » 

I suppose it depends on how far your bedroom is from your son's room. Bedbugs mainly find their victims by detecting CO2.
    Could you ask your husband to spend a night in your son's room? After he has slept there, if he is bitten it may take some time before his bites appear.

The bites show up pretty quickly on him.

My sins room is right beside mine.

And my hubby spent last night there in my son's room and nothing.
    He is spending tonight again by tomorrow we should have a definitive answer right.....

12. At my wits end

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 18:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

[/quote]

The bites show up pretty quickly on him.

My sins room is right beside mine.

And my hubby spent last night there in my son's room and nothing.
    He is spending tonight again by tomorrow we should have a definitive answer right.....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982