are they back or is it something else worried

(4 posts)
  1. Kwashington82

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 9:57:26
    #

Login to Send PM

so after 3 treatments and 3 months(last treatment was on october 31) of no evidence or bites im thinking that they might be back i checked under my mattress and saw a black greasy substance on my metal bed frame when i touched it it wiped off/smeared i also saw something that looked like it could be a dead bed bug or bed bug skin im going to tell my building mananger so they can have someone inspect my apartment once again the treatment they used was chemical and the exterminater told me i cought my infestation early

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 10:29:55
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can take a photo of the bug or the skin, if you post it here, people may be able to identify it for you while you're waiting.

My experience with bed bugs was that their fecal matter was never greasy. It was either something that had seeped into the weave of the fabric if it was on a porous material like a sheet or a mattress, or it was a tar-like dot that had hardened if it was on something non-porous like a baseboard.

I admit I had a few panic attacks over bicycle chain grease on stuff for many months after my bed bug infestation was gone, but nothing about what you found would send me back to Bedbug DEFCON 1 just yet.

Also keep in mind that while bed bug treatment kills the bugs, it doesn't necessarily degrade the cast skins or the carcasses that are left behind. This is going to sound accusatory, and I don't mean it to, but did you find these items in a space that had been really, thoroughly cleaned post treatment?

I ask because I was terrified to actually clean a lot of areas deeply post treatment. I just knew I was going to find all these dead bugs, and I was already so traumatized that it was really emotionally tough for me to do so.

Or, alternatively, if this is a place you'd cleaned before, is it possible that this is a dead but knocked loose from a nook or cranny that might have been previously inaccessible?

I would rule all of those possibilities out--and see if you can't get it identified here--before you go to a full panic. An increased caution is totally reasonable on the basis of the dead bug; the greasy stuff wouldn't worry me. Having someone inspect is also okay. But posting a photo if you can get one might get you a slightly faster answer from the people here than waiting for management to get a PCO out.

3. Kwashington82

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 11:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 25 minutes ago  » 
    If you can take a photo of the bug or the skin, if you post it here, people may be able to identify it for you while you're waiting.
    My experience with bed bugs was that their fecal matter was never greasy. It was either something that had seeped into the weave of the fabric if it was on a porous material like a sheet or a mattress, or it was a tar-like dot that had hardened if it was on something non-porous like a baseboard.
    I admit I had a few panic attacks over bicycle chain grease on stuff for many months after my bed bug infestation was gone, but nothing about what you found would send me back to Bedbug DEFCON 1 just yet.
    Also keep in mind that while bed bug treatment kills the bugs, it doesn't necessarily degrade the cast skins or the carcasses that are left behind. This is going to sound accusatory, and I don't mean it to, but did you find these items in a space that had been really, thoroughly cleaned post treatment?
    I ask because I was terrified to actually clean a lot of areas deeply post treatment. I just knew I was going to find all these dead bugs, and I was already so traumatized that it was really emotionally tough for me to do so.
    Or, alternatively, if this is a place you'd cleaned before, is it possible that this is a dead but knocked loose from a nook or cranny that might have been previously inaccessible?
    I would rule all of those possibilities out--and see if you can't get it identified here--before you go to a full panic. An increased caution is totally reasonable on the basis of the dead bug; the greasy stuff wouldn't worry me. Having someone inspect is also okay. But posting a photo if you can get one might get you a slightly faster answer from the people here than waiting for management to get a PCO out.

well i have been checking every time i change my bedding after the treatment but i was also away the whole month of decemember so i wasnt able to check until i got back which was a few days ago and thats when i found the substance actually all of my clothes are still in bags because ive been afraid to put them back in my draws after the treament my bed frame is also isolated i mean i wipe down my frame everytime i change my sheets but i havent been home to do it

4. newtactics

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 16:46:52
    #

Login to Send PM

kwashington if you're not sure it was a bed bug, or fecal matter, I would personally give the room a very very deep clean and keep looking for signs, rather than getting the PCO back. This is because I don't like sleeping in a treated bed...don't get me wrong I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had bugs, but if I wouldn't want any unecessary treatment. Goodluck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus