Are they back? Or am I crazy?

(3 posts)
  1. BuggedInNYC

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Apr 13 2010 10:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been a lurker here for several months. I got a very mild infestation last November, warranting 4 treatments. 2 treatments, initially, 2 weeks apart. I discovered 2 bugs again in January despite not being bitten, so I called the PCO back and he treated another 2 times. I took all the necessary precautions...leaving my stuff boxed up, leaving as many clothes bagged up as possible, frequently laundering on high heat, isolating the bed, encasing both the mattress and box spring in Protect-A-Bed/AllerZip covers, and placing Interceptors around the feet of my bed and furniture (caught a couple initially, but none since then.) I didn't put my bedskirt back on and I have not let any bedding touch the ground.

Fast forward to April. I discovered what I thought were a couple of ingrown hairs around my pubic bone. Then I noticed I would get random isolated red marks, similar to the bites I got when I was infested. Never clusters of them, though, and only once or twice a week. So, of course I go into a panic and start searching all around my bed and linens for the tell-tale signs. I found what I thought was an egg (even though it didn't have the appearance of bed bug eggs that I've seen posted), so I immediately stripped everything, laundered everything on hot...twice. For the past 5 days I've been sleeping on the mattress on top of the encasement itself, no sheet, with a pillow and a blanket. I have found no other signs of these vampires. No casings, no feces, no eggs, no blood smears on anything, nothing in the Interceptors...nada.

I ordered some Bedlam and Steri-Fab sprays (these were part of my PCO's treatment plan and told me I could use to spot treat) and plan on coating the bed frame, night stand, and treating on top of the encased mattress and box spring just to be safe.

I know the psychological effects of dealing with these things can be long standing, but am I crazy? Anytime I get an itch anywhere on my body my mind automatically defaults to "BED BUGS" even if it's just a random skin itch. This stuff really does make you crazy. I've gone back to being an insomniac because of fear.

Of course, I tend to err on the side of caution and assume the bugs are back. But if they are, then where the HELL are they coming from? And where are they going if everything is encased on Certified Bed Bug Proof encasements? And why are they not in the Interceptors? What other measures should I be taking that I haven't already?

2. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Apr 13 2010 10:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggedInNYC - 35 minutes ago  » 
    I've been a lurker here for several months. I got a very mild infestation last November, warranting 4 treatments. 2 treatments, initially, 2 weeks apart. I discovered 2 bugs again in January despite not being bitten, so I called the PCO back and he treated another 2 times. I took all the necessary precautions...leaving my stuff boxed up, leaving as many clothes bagged up as possible, frequently laundering on high heat, isolating the bed, encasing both the mattress and box spring in Protect-A-Bed/AllerZip covers, and placing Interceptors around the feet of my bed and furniture (caught a couple initially, but none since then.) I didn't put my bedskirt back on and I have not let any bedding touch the ground.
    Fast forward to April. I discovered what I thought were a couple of ingrown hairs around my pubic bone. Then I noticed I would get random isolated red marks, similar to the bites I got when I was infested. Never clusters of them, though, and only once or twice a week. So, of course I go into a panic and start searching all around my bed and linens for the tell-tale signs. I found what I thought was an egg (even though it didn't have the appearance of bed bug eggs that I've seen posted), so I immediately stripped everything, laundered everything on hot...twice. For the past 5 days I've been sleeping on the mattress on top of the encasement itself, no sheet, with a pillow and a blanket. I have found no other signs of these vampires. No casings, no feces, no eggs, no blood smears on anything, nothing in the Interceptors...nada.
    I ordered some Bedlam and Steri-Fab sprays (these were part of my PCO's treatment plan and told me I could use to spot treat) and plan on coating the bed frame, night stand, and treating on top of the encased mattress and box spring just to be safe.
    I know the psychological effects of dealing with these things can be long standing, but am I crazy? Anytime I get an itch anywhere on my body my mind automatically defaults to "BED BUGS" even if it's just a random skin itch. This stuff really does make you crazy. I've gone back to being an insomniac because of fear.
    Of course, I tend to err on the side of caution and assume the bugs are back. But if they are, then where the HELL are they coming from? And where are they going if everything is encased on Certified Bed Bug Proof encasements? And why are they not in the Interceptors? What other measures should I be taking that I haven't already?

Hey BuggedInNY,

Remember that the bites could also be delayed reactions - you MAY have gotten bit by a bed bug at work or the theatre or dinner, or some other place and then days/weeks later the bite shows up. It also could have been something else entirely - chiggers for example or mite bites. I know all too well the paranoia that bed bugs produce so being cautious is always a great thing, but it may not be bed bugs either! This isn't to say you do or don't have them - just be aware that it COULD be something else. (I am going crazy now because mosquito and chiggers are out and I could swear they are all bed bug bites! They may BE bed bug bites - I never knew I could hate mother nature so much ).

3. BittenAgain

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Apr 13 2010 11:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I just wanted to add my sympathies since I'm going through something similar (see my post - found bedbugs in October, source unknown, clear since then until quite a few bites showed up on Sat morning).

It's quite possible that you are not dealing with bed bugs again, but you are NOT crazy to think so. Of course that's the default line of thinking when we've had them before...

It sounds like you're doing all of the right things, so hang in there & stay vigilant.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316