Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Are they ALWAYS in the mattress?

(7 posts)
  1. bedbugweary

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2015 10:40:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with an infestation for some months now and now feeling like they're getting under control- only finding dead ones, and those babies. I live in Nepal where many of the suggested solutions on sites like this are NOT possible, including mattress encasements- simply don't exist here.

However, I keep inspecting and have not seen any sign of bedbugs actually infesting my mattress. It is a very simple foam mattress- nothing like what you use in the west, well sewn, though I'm sure it's not impossible for bedbugs to enter. I had to throw out a comforter that was horribly infested, and I have found them hiding in every possible crevice of the wood bed frame. A fellow American here insisted they are ALWAYS in the mattress today, and now I'm worried. There are no spots, feces or anything on the seams or anywhere on the mattress. Any thoughts?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2015 10:45:19
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be you're dealing with something else at this point. I'd post a photo.

I don't know if they have bird or bat bugs there, but those closely related species may not leave the same signs in the same places as bed bugs.

Also, "only seeing babies" suggests it may be something else, so I'd post an image on that count also.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2015 11:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Americans will speak that way.
    It's possible to have an infestation without being anywhere near a bedroom. A standard mattress has piping, a tag and could have other flaps if it's a pillow top that may provide a safe harborage for a bed bug. If your mattress lacks these possible harborage spots bed bugs would be safer to congregate in a different area, like a box spring or frame or passive monitor.

It takes mature bed bugs to create offspring, so if you're only seeing little ones it might not be bed bugs as noted above.

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2015 11:18:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. But also strong air currents from an air conditioner unit, floor fan, or if there's central air conditioning and the register is under the bed, could cause the bugs to nest further from the bed.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2015 20:56:20
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW in direct answer to the topic question, no in fact in residential environments the box spring ofr frame are the most frequent spots. In hotels it is the headboard and night tables.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2015 4:28:41
    #

Login to Send PM

As other posters have mentioned, no mattresses don't have to be prime infestation sites. Your wood frame and the comforter served them well. These were more hospitable places than anywhere else so far examined.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. WhatBugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 25 2015 11:24:26
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugweary - 2 days ago  » 
    ... and I have found them hiding in every possible crevice of the wood bed frame...

Same issue we had, they weren't in/on the mattress. But they really set up home in the wooden frame. Way too many nooks and crannies for them to inhabit, and did they.

Wood glue was helpful in this regard, caulk could also be used. This seals in any that are there along with preventing further harboring.

WhatBugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs