Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Are these new or old bites?

(5 posts)
  1. victimofcouchsurfing

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 5:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I was couchsurfing in Milan when I slept on a couch infested with bedbugs. I only slept on it for 1 hour because I could feel the bugs all over me, woke up, turned on the light and was able to see tons of bedbugs crawling around and their white children as well. My backpack was on the floor - I packed it up and went to a hostel. At the hostel, I washed myself and the clothes I was wearing in hot water. However, when I got home, I washed my clothes again, but not my backpack. I have cleaned my sheets since I've gotten back, and they are white. I have noticed black specks, but they look to me more like fabric pills more than anything.

About 3 days after the incident, bed bug bites started appearing. Before then I was not even itchy and did not notice a thing. The bed bug bites first appeared on my knees and then on my neck and shoulders. That's when I knew they must be bedbugs because at first I thought the insects on the couch were lice. Here are some pictures of my initial bedbug bites. They have gotten progressively worse as time has gone on, despite using generous dobs of cortisone cream regularly.
    image by c.w882, on Flickr

As you can see, these bites are pretty typical with a white point in the middle and a red, painful exterior. It's really been ruining my life. I live with a host family in Spain because I am studying abroad and I still haven't been able to show my host mom the extent of the damage because it is so scary. I just showed her the ones on my neck. There are also very inflamed bites on my lower back that I wasn't able to take a picture of, but I have been scratching at them because they are the most itchy.

Now 5 days after I have been bitten, some new bites have appeared. First, I was not sleeping well, so I took a sleeping aid. I wore long pants and socks, and a long sleeve shirt. The next morning I woke up, and found bites covering my face. They look like this.

These bites are more blotchy and bigger than the other bites. They are not itchy yet. Before my bites appeared physically, my skin would be itchy in that area. But my face has not been very itchy at all. I am going crazy wondering if my new bed is infested with bedbugs and I brought them back. Since there weren't any new bites where I was wearing clothing on the rest of the body, is it possible that the bedbugs that may have infested my bed chose to attack my face? I have literally scoured every corner of my mattress and the backboard and wall beside it, but can't find anything. The baseboards on the wall are caulked tight, the mattress is covered all the way around with fabric, my host mom is an obsessive vacuumer ~ so I have no idea what is going on. I'm hoping and praying that this could be a delayed reaction, but other posts have said the face the most sensitive and perhaps this was an immediate reaction to bites last night?
    Additionally, a few new bites have appeared on my arms, but they look more similar to the old bites with a circle of white in the middle surrounded by red, like a pimple.

Are there any other tips to cure these bites? I have heard of lemon and baking soda, which I am going to try - but I look hideous and am afraid to even leave my room and reveal to my host family the horrible monster I've become. I don't even have any makeup coverup. I have eczema so my skin is very sensitive - has anyone else had such a strong reaction as I have?

2. victimofcouchsurfing

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 5:25:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's another picture of my knees. It is really itchy and swollen. They weren't as bad 2 days ago but has gotten worse despite the cortisone. This is killing me.

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 7:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear victimofcouchsurfing,

Regarding your pictures . . . OH MY!

. . . I believe your question is . . . can the bites that are appearing now be bites you received several days ago?

From everything I have read on this forum, the answer is Yes. I believe I have read numerous times that bite reactions can sometimes take up to two weeks to appear.

Please start by reading this

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

And then read through the FAQs on this site to build your knowledge regarding bed bugs!

(P.S., I'm curious, did you inform wherever you were staying that the couch is heavily infested?!)

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 8:20:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The pattern of bites and location on the knees leads me to believe this is a medical issue rather than an insect bite issue.

While we can tell little about bites from their appearance their locations can help a lot.

Please seek medical assistance and I can assure you with 99% confidence that this is not caused by bedbugs.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. victimofcouchsurfing

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 30 2014 2:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I did let the owner know their couch is heavily infested, thought they deny it. And I also left a negative review to let other ppl know to avoid that place.

I did go to the hospital yesterday, and they said it was likely an allergic reaction to the bites. I am seeing a dermatologist tomorrow. They thought I was having a reaction to food allergies or something like that, but as far as I know, I am not allergic to anything. Could it be possible that I am allergic to the bedbug venomous saliva? I know that my knees were the first to show signs- thinking perhaps a bedbug big my knees, then its poison entered my bloodstream and is causing hives to erupt all over my body. Has anyone else had this allergic reaction?

I am taking antihistamines, and I tried the baking soda trick which seems to reduce the swelling.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982