Are these myths? [update: it was mosquitos]

(15 posts)
  1. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2014 10:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -- I've already posted about having at least 25 very itchy bites or welts in 4 weeks, but to date no evidence, in spite of dog and inspector in first week. I was told by a PC owner that I don't have BB because the marks are all over, including where I sleep in nightclothes, as well as on bony body parts such as sternum, foot near toes, and back of hand. But my friend who did have BBs also had bites for weeks before finding a BB in her dirty sheets before laundering, and she also had bites all over. So should I assume what the PC guy told me is not true??

2. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2014 12:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Since he is a human being, and everyone has opinions, plus he may have been told that by someone else, it seems that it could be true but could also not be true. It's difficult to make general statements when dealing with a creature of nature that we are still learning a lot about. Only the experts or those with first hand experience know best.

Just keep monitoring and continuing to observe for signs of bed bugs. Keep a log of the skin reactions.

Good luck and be sure to read up on the FAQ's and google (see upper right corner) for additional information from the volumes of posts which can answer your questions.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2014 22:32:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions never will be definitive in helping determine if you have bed bugs; no matter who you ask, no one can diagnose from skin reactions.

Have you had your home searched carefully by an experienced human? Or a k9 team that visually verifies dog alerts?

Bed bug monitors may help you determine if you have bed bugs. We have a FAQ on monitors here. And one on canine scent detection for bed bugs here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 11:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I just had my third professional inspection (I'm 4 weeks into bites, or whatever they are -- still new ones every day) and it was entirely negative, except for a carpet beetle under my bed, which is near a large carpet. I had two other inspections with 2 separate canines in the first week. No evidence of BB so far at all, including no stains on a passive monitor placed on my bed 10 days ago. The inspector put down some glue traps for me to check for another week.

The PCO who sent the inspector says that it doesn't treat unless evidence is found. Could you give me your opinion as to:
    1. Should I have a third canine?
    2. Should I treat for carpet beetles, which seems just as expensive and labor-intensive as the BB treatment?

It's very difficult to decide these matters on my own.

Also:
    3. I have four bites/swellings on one hand, extremely itchy. Is it normal for BB to bite the back of the hand? My hand is pretty bony!

Thanks,
    Susan

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 21:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping for expert. I added K9 and carpet beetles to your tag in hopes of attracting an expert for your questions.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 21:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks -- I'm really hoping for some feedback in order to make a difficult decision -- treat for BB, treat for carpet beetles, wait for more evidence...?

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 22:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

a reputable PCO won't treat for BBs without finding evidence. I'm not an expert but most state it.

You have the monitor on your bed, right?

Good luck. I have to go for a while.

8. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 22:34:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I have the monitor on the back of the bedframe. It's been clean for 10 days.
    Right, PCOs don't want to treat for BB w/o evidence, which leaves me at square one if I can't find evidence.

9. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 15:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Latest: Went for a biopsy of one of the bites/welts. The dermatologist says no way they are hives -- they are insect bites. I'll have results in 1-2 days. If she's right, that's bad news.

10. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 12:39:55
    #

Login to Send PM

For those interested, the mystery seems to be solved at last. A wonderful inspectormMike from Discovery Dogs, NYC, found no evidence with his dog of bedbugs, but did find 40-50 baby mosquitoes on glue boards that were placed behind my bed, which is near a very old window. Apparently they are small enough to come through the screens.

It was six weeks of hell, people. I finally have relief, whew.

11. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 12:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hooray MOSQUITOES! That's awesome news Ifyouknew!

12. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 12:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The relief is unimaginable. So glad I repeated the inspection six weeks later, as this really puts those bugs to bed.

And along the way, I now know exactly what to look for and what to do if there is ever anxiety again, so it wasn't all wasted effort. This site has been very helpful.

13. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 12:57:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay!! I'm very happy for you! Now you can relax and enjoy your summer!

14. ifyouknewsusie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2014 12:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I love sites like this, where people truly try to help each other with information and support. That's how the Web should be.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 0:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations, ifyouknewsusie!

I am inclined to move this to success stories, as we have a number now reflecting alternate diagnoses.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula