Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Are these bedbug bites? Please Help!

(12 posts)
  1. Makaylaxoh

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Dec 21 2018 18:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the story. I started getting these welts around the end of September and I definitely noticed I was waking up with them more often than not (I will admit, some did show up during the day UNDER my clothes a handful of times). Around the same time, my husband also started getting them (he's African American and they're far less noticeable, don't bother him much and go away within a day). We looked for bed bugs. Absolutely no evidence, I had my landlord look at well and he found nothing. I assumed it was an allergy to a new fabric softener we had been using, so I stopped using it and washed all of my clothes and bedding and such. I felt like two weeks or so went by and no new welts. Then they came back. I'm getting 1-3 at a time, and usually every few days I notice new ones. They last for around a week (a reason I thought, could it be an allergy? Hives go away within hours) and my husband says his are usually gone in 1-2 days. THEN I noticed my son is started to get a few here and there. What's the likeliness that we all are having an allergic reaction to something? Not very likely. I will also mention, I have two daughters, neither of who have had a single mark. One shares a room with my son, they have a bunk bed and she's on the top bunk. My infant has her own room and sleeps in a crib. I've spent HOURS looking and have found absolutely no evidence of bed bugs. No casings, no blood marks, no fecel matter, no bugs, no eggs. But the bites keep coming. I'm absolutely losing my mind. I just bought Diatomaceous Earth and plan to spend a few days in a hotel room after I apply it to the apartment (kids are 3, 2, and 11 months old, no way to keep them out of it, YAY for these expenses!) So with the story, would you be inclined to say these are bed bug bites? I guess I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy before I go drop a couple hundred dollars we don't have on trying to treat before it's bad enough that we're infested. The last 5 photos are older photos I found in my messenger app that I shared with my best friend when it started, excuse my body hair lol shaving regularly is impossible with all of my littles! The top photos have been taken in the last few days. It's definitely different, the spots I'm getting now are more round and isolated, the spots before were clustered and those went away after getting rid of the fabric softener, but those didn't act like hives either they lasted for a LONG time, like 2 weeks. But it's been like 8 weeks and I'm still getting these. Any and all opinions welcome.

20181221_174602 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

20181221_174423 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

20181221_174415 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

20181220_151258 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

20181220_141757 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

20181220_141616 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

20181220_141557 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

received_486403391854075 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

received_334819603991485 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

received_281086082520791 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

received_644445845957561 by Makayla Turner, on Flickr

2. Makaylaxoh

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Dec 21 2018 21:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Correction, the last FOUR photos are old photos. The one of my foot was two days ago. Sorry, counted wrong!

3. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Dec 21 2018 22:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately some of that bites looks like bb bites #2and #3 and the last one look similar to mine bites.#3 small little red dot on the left ..Iam getting ones like this every other day .Also I have notice they like to bite on the vein .Iam sorry ...hope I may be wrong in your case .

4. SalsaVince

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Dec 21 2018 23:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

As is said over and over on this site, bed bugs can't be confirmed or ruled out from bite marks, so none of the experienced bed buggers are going to give you any guidance based on those pictures unfortunately. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have children experiencing these bites or reactions and not know for sure what's causing them and I'm sure that is a lot of what's driving you to want to treat even though you haven't been able to confirm bed bugs. I encourage you to hold off on making any specific treatment decisions until you do though. If you have bed bugs, you will know for sure after several weeks of experiencing bites. If it's been since September and it were bed bugs, I would expect them to be pretty evident by now. Make sure you have read up on where to search such as seams and bed frame joints and screw holes, etc. You could also get some monitors to help spot them faster and they could trap samples that you could provide your landlord. It's good to work through them instead of just treating on your own. For one thing, you may not be allowed to have your own apartment treated without their approval. Secondly, in apartments, if bed bugs are confirmed, you want to make sure that adjoining units are also inspected since they could be the source and ridding them in your apartment only would just be temporary if they are coming from your neighbors. Regarding the DE, if you apply it correctly, there's no reason why you would have to go to a hotel for even one night. It should be applied very lightly with a duster (puffer) or a brush and only to cracks and crevices and baseboards, etc. where it would not be disturbed. You shouldn't have piles or even thick coatings of it sitting around for the kids to run into. But again, if you don't know for sure if they're there or where they are, then it makes it difficult to begin treating. Perhaps you could mention it again to your landlord that you're getting bites and ask them to have a PCO do a real inspection who is trained to do it. Hope you get some resolution soon.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  5. Makaylaxoh

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Dec 22 2018 10:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your feedback! I thought the DE had to cover everything? Even the carpet and hardwood floors and appliances and such? I did also buy a puffer. It has been 12ish weeks and I did a full inspection again yesterday and there's literally absolutely nothing that I can find. Not a single fecel stain, or blood mark, or casing or live bug. It's driving me absolutely insane! And it's hard to think it's NOT a bug considering 3 people in my house are experiencing this. I'm losing my mind!

6. SalsaVince

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Dec 22 2018 13:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

No, you only need to apply DE to places where they would typically hide out in cracks and seams and joints of the bed frame. The idea is to put it where it would not be disturbed so you can leave it there for months or even years. It really never loses its efficacy until it gets wiped off or wet or covered with a thick coating of dust over time. Definitely don't cover the entire carpet and appliances with it. But if you're not finding any bed bugs, the DE might not help since you're fighting an invisible enemy right now. As I said, if you keep suffering bite like reactions for another week, I would ask the landlord if they can send out a pro to check it out just to be safe. If still nothing, I think you have to rule out bed bugs are start focusing on other possibilities.

7. xscrewygirlx

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Dec 22 2018 15:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI, DE is very deadly to bed bugs... HOWEVER, it is NOT an instant death for them. DE takes 7 to 17 days to kill a bed bug. It is recommended that other methods be used in combination with DE to treat bed bugs.

Using DE to treat Bed Bugs

Diatomaceous Earth for Bed Bugs

Proper Way to Apply DE

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Dec 23 2018 3:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

xscrewygirlx - 12 hours ago  » 
    FYI, DE is very deadly to bed bugs... HOWEVER, it is NOT an instant death for them. DE takes 7 to 17 days to kill a bed bug. It is recommended that other methods be used in combination with DE to treat bed bugs.
    Using DE to treat Bed Bugs
    Diatomaceous Earth for Bed Bugs
    Proper Way to Apply DE

Cimexa powder works faster and does not contain any crystalline silica.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. Makaylaxoh

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Dec 23 2018 11:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys! I got my DE and my puffer today, also a small paint brush to apply it to seams and such. I am so glad I asked because I was seeing people cover their whole house in it for a few days, and then wipe it all off. I really don't want to bother my landlord with it, he's a really great guy and would take care of it, but his 3 year old granddaughter just passed in a horrible accident and they're really grieving right now and so I don't want to bother him with any other added stress, it's just the "human" thing to do to try to fix this without his help right now and let his family have their time and space. Maybe I will call around and try to find a company that offers free inspections (a friend of mine found this before, they only charge if they find something). But I'm still going to do the DE in hopes that it helps, since it can't hurt.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Dec 23 2018 18:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I really don't want to bother my landlord with it, he's a really great guy and would take care of it, but his 3 year old granddaughter just passed in a horrible accident and they're really grieving right now and so I don't want to bother him with any other added stress, it's just the "human" thing to do to try to fix this without his help right now and let his family have their time and space. 

That's very commendable but make sure it doesn't come back on you, i.e. if it gets away from you and spreads, I don't think he would be too happy.

11. cafeidon

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 8:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone reacts differently to bites, and every bug could be different. For instance, mine was on the lower back and looked like this:

http://i64.tinypic.com/6z0bo6.jpg

It was a cluster of many many bites. At first it was itchy, then it started having a burning pain. It went on for about three weeks before I stopped feeling anything, but it’s been two months and the scars are still there

12. Makaylaxoh

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Dec 24 2018 10:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

So I did some research and I'm almost 100% confident this is an allergic reaction to my laundry detergent or something at our laundromat! Yesterday I did a full body inspection when I woke up, no new marks. Around 4 pm I changed into a long sleeved shirt to go to the store, 2 hours later I had 5 new bumps on my arms. I finally searched "allergic reaction to laundry detergent" and realized you can get a rash not just hives, and the rash looks just like what my family is experiencing! And while hives would go away quickly the rash stays for days, especially if the irritant isn't removed. I haven't put socks on my son in two days and his feet are completely clear. I plan to switch our detergent and laundromat,ndouble wash ALL of our stuff, clothes and bedding, everything. And I'm praying the rashes will stop. I will update everyone!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,916 posts in 48,923 topics over 151 months by 21,472 of 21,878 members. Latest: NW516, Charly_051, EduardoR