(13 posts)
  1. BenO

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 21:09:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Picture

There are 2 different sizes in my apartment, and in this photo. The smaller ones are so small as to be barely visible. They don't look like any of the pictures I have seen - their butts are distinctly rounded, and they appear smooth rather than "scaled". But, I am finding them on and near my bed, so....scared to death!

Thank you!

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

there are no photos to see???

3. BenO

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Uh oh, sorry if the link didn't work. It should be http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i41/benstl/IMG_0271.jpg (hopefully that works!)

Thank you!

4. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Those look like mites to me. See how they have 8 legs? Bedbugs have 6. You'd have to take those samples to an entomologist to get a read on which type of mite it is. There are different species and they are treated differently, depending on the kind. Are they biting you?

5. BenO

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I was thinking they had 6 legs + antennae. I'm generally not sensitive to bug bites in general, but my girlfriend has been bothered by clusters of itchy bites on her belly... That fact, plus the fact that they hang out around my bed, has me scared!

6. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:26:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Mites generally choose one person to bite, so it sounds like your girlfriend was the (un)lucky one. Do you have a bird nest near your windows (in air conditioner, on fire escape, etc) or rodents inside the structure?

7. BenO

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm... definitely no rodents, but the pigeons do love to hang out on our air conditioner. There should be a pest control person coming this week so I'll bring it up, in the meantime thanks for the ray of hope

8. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably bird mites, then. Your PCO will need to eradicate the pigeons in conjunction with the use of miticides. (Be sure that they do both of these things or your problem will not be solved.) You can collect samples with a lint roller. Vacuuming and dust bustering will help a great deal. Good luck.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The big ones are definitely not BB (just not the right silhouette). I can't tell on the little ones, hopefully, someone will give you a definitive.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Appear to be bird mites.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

11. BenO

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat May 19 2012 22:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh man.... THANK YOU all, I can sleep soundly tonight knowing that in all likelihood my life is not going to be turned upside down by bed bugs. The timing couldn't be worse, since we are getting ready to move out of the country and rent out our apartment, so it will be SO nice not to be passing bed bugs on to the next tenants.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 0:43:23
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have bird mites, you do need treatment for them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 20 2012 6:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely images of mites, arachnids not insects. Most likely mites from the pigeons you have outside. If you come across and unknown and think insect, you will always try to see 6 legs and extra appendages in the front must be antennae. I did have a case where the mites inside were from mice even though there were pigeons evident on the roof adjoining the apartment. Mice weren't evident in the apartment, but I identified the mites because I captured samples. There was a grocery store downstairs and review of their premises disclosed mice. Two days later mice were finally seen in the home; moving away a piece or furniture disclosed a hole in the wall through which mice gained access. There were mice droppings, food scraps, too.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs