Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Are these bed bug bites? Someone please help!

(9 posts)
  1. konjonashipirate

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 14:02:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting these red bumps for a couple of weeks now. At first it was only my right leg, then it was my left, then my arms and lower back now. I thought they were bed bug bites so I thoroughly checked our futon mats and found no bugs, casings, eggs, blood spots, nothing. It's spotless! My husband isn't getting these marks. Last night I slept with pj pants tucked into socks and a long sleeve shirt. This morning I have two new marks on places that were covered. We recently changed laundry detergent and fabric sheets but I rubbed both on my arm to see if I was allergic and nothing happened. On the legs there were a couple marks together but on my arms they are just single ones.

Any idea what they are?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140726114038AA4Dsyn <---I posted this question on yahoo answers and got nothing but there is a pic of bites from a week ago.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 14:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't determine if you have bedbugs from "bite marks". The marks are not "bites" but an allergic reaction, so it's hard to tell the difference from a bedbug bite and an allergic reation.

The Bite Primer below may assist:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. konjonashipirate

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 14:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I've read :?. I also read that you need to find and trap a bug to determine if its a bed bug or not but I haven't seen any! Not even a spot of blood or casing, etc. I threw both our futon mats outside on the patio to bake in the hot sun. I don't know what to do. I don't know how else to explain these bites. I'm now getting them on my wrist and hands :cry:.

4. Stay_Positive

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 14:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

You can use a monitor to help determine if it is bed bugs or not. There are many kinds to choose from and this list should help you decide:

http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/more-information-on-cheap-and-cheerful-bed-bug-monitors

5. konjonashipirate

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 14:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Stay_Positive - 9 minutes ago  » 
    You can use a monitor to help determine if it is bed bugs or not. There are many kinds to choose from and this list should help you decide:
    http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/more-information-on-cheap-and-cheerful-bed-bug-monitors

Do you think any of these would work now that I've tossed our futons onto the patio to sit in the sun? I want to go all out and go get some spray, which I probably will, but if I've removed the futons would bug detection still work? Also, the only two chairs we have are leather so I'm thinking those would be much harder for the bugs to hide in. This whole thing is stressful. I look like I have a skin condition with all these big red blotches.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 15:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The pattern of a bed bug infestation, if only one or two were brought in, is a few bites...increasing over time. This seems too quick.

Don't buy a spray (particularly not a fogger). Please go see a doctor/dermatoligist.

Why do you think it would be a bedbug infestation if you can't find evidence? That sounded harsh, but the experts say a majority of cases where they get called in for bites only aren't bedbugs but a skin condition.

7. konjonashipirate

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 17:31:47
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 1 hour ago  » 
    The pattern of a bed bug infestation, if only one or two were brought in, is a few bites...increasing over time. This seems too quick.
    Don't buy a spray (particularly not a fogger). Please go see a doctor/dermatoligist.
    Why do you think it would be a bedbug infestation if you can't find evidence? That sounded harsh, but the experts say a majority of cases where they get called in for bites only aren't bedbugs but a skin condition.

I live in an apartment building. I've been getting these bites nightly. The bites are uniform. Usually with rashes or hives they are not circular marks. All of my bites are big red circles with a bump in the middle. I doubt its mosquitos because not only have I not seen any, I never have my patio door or window open without the screen. I've had mosquito bites and they do not look like this. None of these bites/marks are on my back, stomach, or chest. They are all on my extremities. This is why I think the problem is external and not internal. I also cannot afford to see a dermatologist unfortunately. I've never had this problem until a month after moving into our new apartment. Also, from what I have read, even if there is no evidence that does not mean there are no bed bugs present. I tried to convince myself that it was ANYTHING else but bed bugs but now there are no explanations left.

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 18:07:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Look into monitors...they will eventually be in them. You may need a passive monitor if you don't have a bed with legs (for climbups).

Good luck.

9. konjonashipirate

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 18:46:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, theyareoutthere. Luckily, my husband and I live in a studio apartment so at least there aren't multiple rooms for whatever is biting me to spread to. I currently have our futons sealed and on our patio. I bought an air mattress so I'm hoping this may eliminate a big source of the problem. I wanted something plastic that they bugs can't climb into. I bought some indoor perimeter spray that I am going to use. I'm also washing all of our stuff. If it doesn't work, at least I only wasted $15. It's the weekend so I can't get an exterminator in to look and I don't want to sit and do nothing. I have to try something So I'm planning to use the new bed and spray EVERYTHING. Hopefully there will be no bites. On Monday I will call my apartment manager and tell her what is going on. I'm hoping she will call an exterminator out to look at our place and surrounding apartments. I have no idea what else to do but I can't sit here and be bitten by whatever anymore. It's been weeks now and I'm over it.

These aren't normal.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982