Are there any safe effective spray options for bags when traveling

(5 posts)
  1. 2ndtimeinfest

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 14:45:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently dealt with bedbugs for a 2nd time in the last five years most likely due to a trip to Japan where I hadn't taken any real precautions & likely brought them home with me. I live in an unattached guest house in Los Angeles so I was able to do a vikane fumigation once I detected the problems which did eradicate the issue (but was expensive). I want to do my best to prevent a reoccurence when traveling.

I just learned I am potentially going to China in Feb or March and I'm wondering if there may be any sprays I can use on my bags that have residual capabilities or that potentially have some sort of repellant? I have bedlam plus but wasn't certain that would be safe to spray on my bags if I'm carrying them around & they are my plane carry on. I plan to use a hard covered suitcase and pack my clothes inside the case in garbage bags & bring clean garbage bags to then put dirty clothes into while there. I also plan to keep my suitcases & bags in the bathroom & inspect any hotel room I am in. The soft bags for my camera equipment & computer are more what I'm maybe hoping to spray in advance. Any recommendations from the pros would be great! Thank you in advance. I do have a packtite 2 though the heater doesn't seem to always be able to hold without shutting off for the proper amount of time so I'm not certain how effective it will be upon my return unfortunately. I also have a washer & dryer in my residence so I plan to wash & dry as much as I can in the dryer upon my return.

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 15:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

2ndtimeinfest -  » 
    . . . . I'm wondering if there may be any sprays I can use on my bags that have residual capabilities or that potentially have some sort of repellant?

Here's a semi-recent thread discussing how to protect your suitcase while traveling. See if it has any useful information in it for you.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/can-i-use-temprid-on-my-suitcase-to-protect-myself-when-flying

Also, the topic has been brought up many times before so you might try using the search engine for more threads.

2ndtimeinfest -  » 
    I have bedlam plus but wasn't certain that would be safe to spray on my bags if I'm carrying them around & they are my plane carry on. The soft bags for my camera equipment & computer are more what I'm maybe hoping to spray in advance.

However as you stated above, it sounds like you're more concerned with the "extra" bags and not your suitcase. I would think the camera equipment and computer bags could be enclosed in zip loc bags for the trip before placing into your carry on? But if I am understanding correctly, you want to spray them not only for the trip but also because you plan on carrying these with you while you are "out and about"? I'll leave it to the experts to comment on "preemptive" spraying of bags. But if you're not planning on carrying the camera bag and computer bag with you, just keep the bags themselves stored in zip loc bags while not in use.

2ndtimeinfest -  » 
    I also plan to keep my suitcases & bags in the bathroom & inspect any hotel room I am in. . . . . I do have a packtite 2 though the heater doesn't seem to always be able to hold without shutting off for the proper amount of time so I'm not certain how effective it will be upon my return unfortunately. I also have a washer & dryer in my residence so I plan to wash & dry as much as I can in the dryer upon my return.

It certainly sounds like you have a very comprehensive plan in mind. Also, a lot of models of dryers now have a "shelf" that can be purchased and used inside the dryer for things that can't tumble around inside; shoes, etc.

3. 2ndtimeinfest

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 19:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Abs - This is helpful.

After looking at these I think my best option will end up being to twist tie any carryons I bring with garbage bags or see if I can pick up ziplocks that they'll fit with but I don't know if I'll find one that will fit my camera bag.

4. 2ndtimeinfest

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 19:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Abs - This is helpful.

After looking at these I think my best option will end up being to twist tie any carryons I bring with garbage bags or see if I can pick up ziplocks that they'll fit with but I don't know if I'll find one that will fit my camera bag.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2015 23:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi 2ndtime,

Zip locs come in L, XL, and XXL. The XL and XXL are huge. The L is just a little bit bigger than the 2 gallon freezer size ones. My local Target carries the XL and XXL ones, but you can also order them on line. I love them all and use them to store stuff in and for all kinds of things!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie