are closets really "safe"?

(12 posts)
  1. tiggeruth

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 11:11:13
    #

Login to Send PM

our PCO has said no to worry about the closets - that bugs travel down and aren't going to concern themselves with stuff up high?

I have christmas presents stored in there...mostly toys - they said just wipe down with alcohol, ok?

I have no clue why I am now doubting my PCO but i am, they have been in business 21 years and A+ rating with BBB.

Ahh the anxiety.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 11:17:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear tigger,

Nothing your pco tells you is going to help if you're anxious or hae doubts about bed bugs.

Even though I may agree somewhat with what you say he stated to you, it seems that you still need to set your mind at ease as well.

For the most part we'd expect that "the average bed bug" would harbor near the host however, as we know, there are variances in nature.

As such, you may wish to place your packages in a plastic bag or storage container if need be for you to have peace of mind.

However, we should assure that we actually have bed bugs prior to worrying about them getting into our stuff. All this worry and anxiety do us no good.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 12:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

When we found the infestation in my sons room , i thought the same thing that i didnt have to be concerned with the closet as much as the bed, chair, and dresser. When i got to the closet as soon as i started taking stuff out i found one between 2 sweaters. I only "saw" one but i still emptied his closet and put DE all over the bottom . He has about 4 boxes of games up high and I have not gone through them yet , thinking same thing why would they go up there lol makes me feel better that your PCO said not to worry but at the same time i need to get up there . ugh i hate even going in that room now. No one has been in there but me for months.

4. tiggeruth

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 13:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

What is DE that people keep referring to?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 13:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

As Paul said, BB (in non-advanced infestations) tend to harbor close to the potential host. Here's a video from Jeff White explaining similarly why the things in the closet are not his primary concern. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fzYrvTrHk

That said, if you have an active infestation and you have items in the closet that you plan to give to others (outside the home), I'd be wary of giving them until you have determined that your infestation is resolved and that there are no possible stragglers. I would also lay off the alcohol. It's has very limited value over an inspection and wet wipe.

DE is addressed in our FAQ http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. tiggeruth

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 13:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

what equals and active infestation?

we've been inspected by a dog and they treated our two bedrooms and the PCO said to spray rubbing alcohol on everthing, why should i not?

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 13:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, talk about safety concerns; alcohol is highly volatile and flammable.

You can use it but be really careful ! ! ! We don't want you to use it near an open flame, or anything with spark potential nor is it good to be breathing it in an enclosed non-ventilated space.

Remember, because bed bugs can hide anywhere, we need to inspect and treat everywhere.

However, it is also wise to asses the risks lest we worry and work ourselves to death unnecessarily.

Additionally, we also need to consider what items may have had bed bugs on them that we physically moved into and out of the closets as well.

8. tiggeruth

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 13:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Great...we used 3 bottles of it yesterday on almost every surface of our apartment...on my daughters toys and our nightstands and my purse our shoes, etc....are the items going to remain extra flammable once its all dried...like today vs yesterday?

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 15:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

By "active infestation" I (not an expert like Paul) mean that there has been evidence of any bed bugs in the home in the recent past (an old rule of thumb is to consider yourself clear after two months of no evidence).

Once dry, the alcohol is gone, the items are no longer "extra-flammable".

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 15:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Exactly, for alcohol to be fmmable it needs to be present. As alcohol is volatile, that is, it readily becomes a vapor, it is the vapor that helps to make alcohol a potential fire hazard. Note that due to the low flash point of alcohol it is used in engine start fluid and the "top fuel" drag cars used to use alcohol enhanced fuels (they may still do so however, I'm not into drag cars these days).

Once it fully evaporates, there is no alcohol remaining so your kid's toys and other surfaces are not more flammable due to your use.

11. tiggeruth

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 16:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

That helps. Basically what we did yesterday is in the past and we should be careful of using alcohol going forward.

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 16:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, let's all put the potential hazard in the correct perspective.

With:
    > Ventilated area
    > No open flame
    > No smoking
    > No sparks
    > Not an overly excessive quantity of alcohol

You should be just fine.

We need to use suitable caution but we need not cross the line into broad scale paranoia.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs