Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Are bites smaller after treatment

(8 posts)
  1. prephelpny2011

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 9:48:49
    #

Login to Send PM

i have bites on face and a number of small red bumps on my knee. (there are about 10 small red bumps but not in a roll and never had that many bites together before. They are where the end of my shorts touch my leg, so maybe i hope it has something to do with that and not bedbugs.) We are inbetween treatment 1 and 2. Before treatment 1, i had very strong allergic reaction to bites on legs. Wondering if these are new bites, they wouldn't be from adults but bedbugs that hatched after treatment 1, so would the bites have less allergic reaction?
    Not sure these are bedbug bites and would love for them not to be, i was expecting the warning sign would be very large allergic reaction like last time.
    Any thoughts anyone?

2. stopbuggingme

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 10:55:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel like I'm experiencing the same as you are. The initial bites were huge bumps but after the 2nd treatment (3 weeks ago) I just keep getting smaller bites. And I've been trying to find evidence to convince my LL to treat again, but so far no success.

3. futureBBmom

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 11:32:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Others say there isn't a difference between the bites from the bigger bugs or the babies. But for me I actually swear the bites from those babies are smaller. I swear I can tell when eggs have hatched out by the size of the bites and the way they act.

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 16:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen an adult yet and I know I will be terrified when I do. I keep catching nymphs. 2. One was biting me and one just started onto a sensitive bite which alerted me. The bites I pulled either off are no smaller than the others.

Anecdotal to be sure.

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 16:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The best scientific evidence we have at this time says that unless your own body's allergic response has changed, the bites from bed bugs after treatment won't be any different from the bites before treatment.

The best evidence in this case is bite tests that some entomologists have done in which an adult bed bug and a nymph are placed on a person's arm (in controlled lab conditions) and allowed to feed. That arm is then monitored to see whether the person has an allergic reaction or not.

That evidence suggests strongly that a nymph's bite is the same size as a bite from an adult.

It is also well-documented in terms of responses from people here that it's common after exposure to bed bugs for a person's skin to be extra-reactive to any other allergy or irritant.

(If you go back far enough in the forum you can probably find embarrassing old posts from me in which I worried that nymphs were biting the backs of my knees post heat treatment. By keeping very careful track of when these "mystery bites" occurred, I was able to figure out that it was my skin reacting to the stubble of the hair growing back in after I'd shaved my legs--not nymphs. This was confirmed when several months late I strongly suspect I was bitten by bed bugs at a movie theater I don't regularly go to. The bites were exactly the same as the bed bug bites I'd had when I had an infestation, and nothing like the irritation on my legs earlier. You certainly don't have to dig up the old posts unless you want to see me being a totally panicked n00b.)

At any rate, the variation among individuals when it comes to allergic responses is varied, so no one can say anything with 100% certainty, and we don't have as much science on this as anyone would like, but given what we know now, if I had to guess, I would say that the chances are better that your skin--having been through exposure to bed bugs and the chemicals and substances used to treat them and the stress of an infestation--is likely more reactive now to something else, and that unless there is solid proof to the contrary, the bumps on your leg are not bites from immature bed bugs but an allergic reaction to something else--possibly something that you don't normally respond to but that you are responding to more strongly now given your skin's exposure to plenty of other itchy-inducing insults.

6. prephelpny2011

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2011 10:29:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much buggyinsocal, very wise words--these 10 or so red spots on my knees, right where my shorts touch my knees, have almost disappeared and if bedbug bites they would last much longer, so you're probably right about allergic reactions etc. Thanks!

7. i hate buggs

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2011 5:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

how long do bed bug bites last ? i am gong nuts here............i am on my second treatment and on the 6th day i noticed today that i have 3 bites on my bottom (those son of a guns should of kiss my bottom while they were there !!! ) but i used an oxy pad on them and they disappeared in less than a hour ??? gosh I put saran wrap, tape, encasement, saran wrap and finally tape on the bottom mattress and still i am getting bit..............is it from the hatched eggs.........my sheets are light and I see no blood or stool stains................any advice ????

8. bbdead

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 0:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had 5 treatments for bedbugs. I saw the adult, nymph, and eggs. I have been through the huge bites before treatment. After treatments, bites are smaller, less ichy, and go away faster, within a day or a week. I know that are still bb bites because no one in my family got any of those small tiny bites when we were camping or away on vacation. My conclusion after 7th chemical treatment is that they are resistant to chemicals including Demand, Tempa, DE, Bedlam, Gentrol, Phantom. I hate chemical but ended up no choice, The next step will be heat treatment. I can not give up because I have kids.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,845 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas