Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Are Bite Re-Appearing or New?

(2 posts)
  1. Donut

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 20:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

At the beginning of December I slept over at a friend's house, and he had a massive infestation. I was completely covered in bites in almost every conceivable place that wasn't clothed.

I stressed through December checking daily for bedbugs and after my bites healed any new bump or scratch I hadn't seen before sent me into a panic, but starting new year I figured I hadn't brought them home. I'd taken steps, such as changing outside, putting the clothes in a bag, then drying them, so I told myself I was overreacting and that surely by a month I would've spotted something.

I got sick recently with a flu my sister brought home and now I have bites on my feet, but I don't know if they're new or old. I didn't stress out too much because I'd read that bites like to pop up when the immune system is lowered and I'd been wearing socks every night, so I'd have bites other places if I had bedbugs. Then two weeks later (today) a line of three popped up on my forehead. Now I'm freaked out, but I checked my mattress and boxspring for fecal stains and they're both still clean. No fecal stains, no shed shells, nothing that would say I had bedbugs. My family isn't receiving bites either, as far as I know, and they were all in on the bedbug panic in December, so they know what to look for.

Normally, I think I'd be able to tell if they were new by location, but with how I was totally covered after sleeping over, I can't tell if they're in a new spot or not.

I'm going to double check my entire room in the meantime. Has anyone else had bites just come back like this? Is the immune system thing even true? I'm afraid to talk to my family about it again because they all blame me for possibly bringing them home and I don't want another round of that until I know if I do or don't have bedbugs. I'll update this as I inspect my room again.

Thanks for reading all that, and any help would be appreciated.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 8:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please take a few minutes to read the "bite primer" post which outlines pretty much everything you need to know about bites.

Yes they can crop up again and yes in some people it may be an immune response.

However, skin reactions will never be a reliable enough indication of what is causing an issue. Its all about:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

The options for finding them are:

• Self inspection
    • Professional inspection
    • K9 assisted inspection
    • Monitoring

I personally would recommend monitoring as when done correctly it can also help deal with a recent introduction of bed bugs through methods such as TbyPMR.

At this stage though I think its also sensible to kept yourself in the camp of "no confirming signs" and remember there are many other possible causes of skin reactions and most commonly when there are no signs but on-going skin reaction the cause turns out to be something else.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,480 posts in 47,894 topics over 148 months by 21,099 of 21,437 members. Latest: HelpRn82, Kristenjames, tropicaltammi