Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Apt. reinfestation(minor?) after 3 years - WTD?

(7 posts)
  1. rangichangi

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 16:31:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I am back after 3 years - was registered under a different name. My apartment had bbs 3 yrs ago, PCO came 3 times and we hadn't had any more bb trouble until about 10 days ago. My husband pulled the blanket back and there was a live bb on the bed. We pulled the bed(futon with wooden frame) away from the wall and could see more near a gap between the floor/baseboard and the wall where the futon was. I examined the comforter and could see blood spots, also on the pillowcases, which were dark colored so I hadn't noticed before. Neither dh nor I had bb bites like I remember from 3 years ago, only some minor itching that wasn't well defined. There were about 15 bbs hiding in cracks in the wall paint. That night we stripped the futon, examined it and the frame and put the legs in bowls filled with soapy water. We encased the futon this past weekend. The following morning(we wake up at 4am) we killed maybe 10 bbs, all on the same wall or the floor near the bowls. The next few days we killed more, the peak being 16 in one morning, the last few days we haven't had any sightings or bites. I had bought the Travel Tent 3 yrs ago and we have been using it for the last 3 nights so haven't been bitten. If the infestation is limited to the wall near the futon no big deal, but we have seen single bugs in the hallway and the bathroom. I haven't seen any real 'colonies' like I saw 3 years ago. Our roommate(who we are subletting from) has told the super but the management is dragging their feet. I am sure the bbs came from the downstairs apartment and last week I saw an infested mattress in the hall 2 floors down from us so obviously the building is infested but I doubt they will treat the whole building and even if they treat our apartment the bbs will keep coming back. We have put most of our stuff in big Ziplocs especially coats, etc. I ordered some food grade DE online but have been waiting to use it until/if the PCO comes. If we are unable to get a PCO to come I am planning on sealing the gaps in the floor and using DE - after the holidays I am also going to buy a Packtite. I am wondering if we keep using the Travel Tent will the bbs move on elsewhere in the building, seeing we are not an easy meal? I am fed up but we are not in a position to move right now.

2. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 22:18:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems like if you see em they've been fed and aren't going to run away so fast. What did you do the last time?

3. rangichangi

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 10:00:39
    #

Login to Send PM

We haven't seen any in about 3-4 days, which is about how long we have been using the Travel Tent. 3 yrs ago we had a PCO treat the apartment 3 times, also was using the Travel Tent(which allows you to be the 'bait' without being bitten) - no infestation until now. I looked at my boxes in the hallway(where I saw one bb last week) and it doesn't look like they have gotten in them.

4. Bug wary

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 13:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

What is a Travel Tent and where can I get one?

5. rangichangi

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 15:09:25
    #

Login to Send PM

There was a discussion about it here:

http://bedbugger.com/2007/07/30/travel-tent-to-sleep-with-bed-bugs-and-not-be-bitten/

It is obviously not a long-term solution but is good for peace of mind while waiting for the PCO(as we are) or during treatment so you can be 'bait' without being bitten.

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 15:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

The travel tent is an interesting concept but I wonder if it could be counter productive in the pre-treatment stage of a confirmed infestation as it could potentially spread the population as the frustrated bugs look elsewhere for their meal ticket. I do however think it has merit during the treatment/post treatment stage because at that point the bugs will be crossing the pesticide barrier. In the post treatment stage I can also see it combined with ClimbUp Interceptors (or a passive monitor like BBAlert Passive) to monitor how well the treatment is going.

Richard

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 10 2010 10:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Please see my comments in this post. Only one other person has mentioned using this product, if I recall correctly, and she found bed bugs harboring inside it. I think the jury is out on whether the design is bed bug-proof, on top of the difficulty of not tracking them in, and not causing them to spread even if you are able to "isolate" using this method.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19