Apt bldg has bedbugs what would you do?

(12 posts)
  1. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 0:15:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all. Before I moved into my awesome apartment I lived in a dump of an apt and was so paranoid about bed bugs. Never got em there. My new place is gorgeous I love it. Last night I saw a big white generator thing parked in front of our bldg. it was running and a power cord ran from it into an apt window. Next day, today, it was still there running. Later in the afternoon walking my dog I saw a truck parked behind it. Truck said “bugs” on it. Guy and lady were next to truck. I casually asked “what kind of bugs is it?” The guy said bedbugs. My heart sank.

Dude wasn’t afraid to talk so I got a bit of info outta him. He said there were “thousands” of bed bugs in there and that it was very bad. They were heat treating the unit. Infested apt never told management and they only found out about infestation after the people moved out. I don’t know how long the apt was empty of people. I noticed an apt had put a box spring out on their patio. It was there for at least a week maybe two. So I’m thinking that the infested apt has been empty and untreated for maybe two weeks. The apt bldg is big. About 30 units, it’s really a condo.

The infested apt is one floor up from me and two over. I’m petrified the heat treatment will just spread them. The bug guy said I shouldn’t worry that the heat kills them before they can escape. I also saw them the next time I walked my dog and they were leaving and said “there’s nothing in there” that they got them all. I’m not reassured.

I called the office to get info. Maybe find out if it’s just the one apt, whatever. I didn’t outright say I knew it was bedbugs cause I didn’t want the bug guy to get in trouble for his loose lips. So the apt people lied to me when I asked what’s up with the generator and bug truck out front. They totally played stupid and admitted nothing. But I know they know cause the bug guy told me they know.

So of course I’m freaking out. I’m thinking to go and confront them tomorrow and tell them I know and ask to move to another bldg. then I’ll hire a bed bug dog to make sure I’m clear and then hire movers to move me to other bldg. I don’t even know if they will let me, but I figure it’s worth a try.

What would you guys do?

Any thoughts on the spread of such a large infestation and using heat treatment for it in a condo?

How much time do you think I have before they get to my apt assuming I do not yet have them?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Please let it be my paranoia.....
  2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 5:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Often if not always, dessicant powder such as Cimexa is used in conjunction with heat treatment. Crack & crevice dust treatment.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 7:50:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply Lou. Unfortunately I don’t know if they used any powders or any other measures other than the heat. I wanted to prod more but the last time I saw them the dude was busy on his phone and the lady was obviously exhausted and looked like she just wanted to go home. She had a big welt on her forehead too??? Maybe a bite on her forehead?

Anyway I need to make a decision fast. At least I feel I do. I feel it’s stupid to stay here given what I’ve learned. But every fiber of me doesn’t want to move. Just settled in. I was thinking if I could just seal my apt off from the others...alas it’s futile: the can lights in the ceiling.

4. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 7:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I mentioned that I believe the infested apt was empty for probably two weeks with”thousands” of bedbugs (but I could be wrong). But if it was.....any educated guesses on whether or not they would have traveled to adjacent apts for food during that time? I wouldn’t be as concerned if the infestation was small.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 8:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

You worry too much.

6. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 9:07:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Big dummy, that’s good to hear you say that. I AM a worrier. But still....there WAS a really bad infestation that was going on for how long no one knows, and if there were “thousands” of bedbugs....

So you would stay put if you were me? I don’t want to overreact but I don’t want to bury my head in the sand either.

7. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 10:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Just got back from the leasing office. They are very concerned that I know. I expressed my concerns and asked if any of the adjoining apartments were inspected, they were not because they rely on self reporting. The guy said he would talk to the boss about my concerns. He said there is a transfer fee of 400 ugh. I’m hoping they waive it. Not sure what’s gonna happen, just waiting to hear back.

8. micachica

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 16:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You could always stay put. Buy some passive monitors and some cimexa. Dust your cracks and crevices with cimexa and check your monitors from time to time. Moving seems a bit extreme. Your landlords seem on top of treatment when bugs are reported. Even if you do get bed bugs they can be exterminated. It doesn’t matter if you live in a dump or a palace bed bugs don’t care. They just want their blood meal.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 16:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Transfer? How long until you suspect a problem after you transfer?

10. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 18:53:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I get what you’re saying big dummy but I’m not imagining things in this case. Facts I know: 1. there was an infestation a couple of units away and the infestation was in the “thousands.” 2. The adjoining units have not been and will not be inspected or treated unless they self report. 3. Bedbugs can travel from apartment unit to apartment unit.

I agree that I have paranoia issues with bedbugs and overreact; however, this time there is proof that there was and possibly still are bedbugs in the building.

In any case, they will not wave the transfer fee to move to another bldg plus rent in the new apt will be 100 more a month. I would just pay it and move to other bldg but husband won’t agree to it. So I’m stuck and now just a possible sitting duck. I’m really upset that they lied to me and continue to lie to me about it. I was told today they only saw one or two bugs on a chair and that was it. Big ass lies. I don’t think I am being paranoid here, not this time. But what can I do.

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 20:33:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The adjoining units have not been and will not be inspected or treated unless they self report. 

That is a problem. That's how we ended up with our first infestation. Landlord was determined to keep it hush-hush and not inspecting or notifying neighboring units.

We dealt with it, but ended up with a second infestation 2 years later because they were never successfully eradicated.

12. BiteInTheNite

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 21:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

That is exactly what I’m worried about bugged cdn. I don’t think I’m being paranoid here just trying to be proactive. If I knew a bus had bedbugs and I did not think they properly addressed the issue I would never ride that bus again. I do not see apartments any differently. That is why I will not renew my lease when it’s up. And until then the best I can do is move out of this bldg. into another bldg. Can I be certain that the new bldg won’t have bed bugs? No. Can I be certain that this bldg did and the issue was not addressed thoroughly? Yes.

But as I said they won’t budge on the transfer fee nor the rent hike I’ll have to incur and husband won’t consent. Breaking the lease would cost over double the amount than transferring bldgs. I’m jyst pissed as hell. They could care less about the people that live here, all they did was espouse policy. Well frankly, their policy sucks. I almost want to call a lawyer but there’s probably nothing they can do to help.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,363 posts in 46,986 topics over 143 months by 20,736 of 21,010 members. Latest: Chumchum871, concernedmom, Bedbugs_PTSD