Aprehend Does iit work?

(21 posts)
  1. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 2 2018 14:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone tried Aprehend? I have tried the chemicals, Vikane (wish I was not talked out of the tent but went the tape and seal route). Now I am going to try heat treatment with one company and Aprehend with another. Been dealing with this for 6mo. Can't take it any more. Oh and had two different dogs alert to the same things.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 2 2018 16:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait, you said dog "alerts"; did the handlers produce live samples after the dogs alerted?

You're willing to book a heat treatment and a separate Aprehend treatment?

Bites but no live bed bugs to be found?

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 4 2018 11:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

After the Vikane treatment we found a bed bug in our bed. We had a K9s out which was suggested to us by the people that did the vikane and they said that the dogs are 99.9% accurate. The company said that this will prove to me that we no longer haave bed bugs. Well 2 different dogs alerted to live bed bugs (I was told that that's all they alert to) They alerted to the exact same area. Ourbites continue to get worse and worse until we threw away our bed and box spring and thebites have gotten better but the dogs alerted to our couches and chairs. I can't seem to find them. Sigh....but was told they are hard to find especially in furniture. Since the dog's alerted I told the company I wanted to have the Vikane treatment redone but with the tent and not the Tape and seal. It was also done on a day it was raining and wind blowing 30 plus mile per hour. They refused even though I would pay for it. I wish I went with my gut and had them use the tent. We are now looking at heat treatment then Aprehend a few days later.

We have a 2600 sq ft house 3 different levels with vaulted ceilings in a couple areas. Will the heat treatment work to kill of any remaining bed bugs? Also what are your thoughts on Aprehend?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 4 2018 14:14:43
    #

Login to Send PM

How long did the Vikane treatment take?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 4 2018 16:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

They did it for about 11 hrs

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 4 2018 16:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

HelpBB - 11 minutes ago  » 
    They did it for about 11 hrs

That definitely should have worked because gas levels are checked and additional is added if needed. K9 inspection disclosed live bed bug odor but inspections didn't disclose any? Bed, then couches, chairs. Originally, K9 didn't alert to sofas and chairs?

7. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 5 2018 9:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

We found live bed bug in our bed right after vikane treatment. Not sure what went wrong I was praying our nightmare would finally be over. Around here the vikane treatment is at 1.9%. I was told by the pest control people to hire This person that had K9's and they were 99.9% accurate. He said he would guarantee that the K9's would not find anything alive (bed bugs) in the house. I hired them and the guy brought the first K9 in and he alerted to live bed bugs to our bedroom, son's room, and multiple furniture including couches and chairs. The guy took that dog out and brought 2nd dog in and the 2nd dog alerted to the exact same areas. The guy did look at one of the chairs briefly but did not want to do a full search b/c he didn't want them to scatter. He did find some fecal matter. The company that did the vikane treatment came and put out sticky traps and briefly looked at the corner of the bed that the dog alerted to I saw some fecal matter on the brand new encasement I just put on but they said that it was nothing.

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 5 2018 10:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

A dog alert that isn't followed up by human inspection is worthless in my opinion. "Don't want them to scatter." "They're hard to find in chairs and couches." Boo-hoo for the inspector, those are bullshit excuses. If you still had bed bugs they could produce live samples; no live activity, no treatment, that's just good business.

Suppose for a minute that the dog alerted correctly. Now the inspector didn't have to search your entire house, the dog has pinpointed a specific area on a specific piece of furniture, saving the inspector an amazing amount of time. Now that inspector having been alerted is unable to produce a live sample or unwilling to even look, knowing that the dog has lead them to within feet if not inches of a supposed live sample, and they're unable or unwilling to produce that live sample, doesn't that sound a little off to you?

9. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 5 2018 11:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

He said he was going to leave that to the company that did the vikane treatment. We got rid of our bed like he suggested. We bought a new frame and brought the bed from our basement to our bedroom and put encasements on them. Put sticky traps under the bed and the bites have decreased. Just wish they would go away all together. I felt confident in this company b/cthey did brought in 2 separate dogs in at different times and the dogs did alert to same things. I have seen on here not to go by bites but when you start out with a bite every few days and you find a bed bug here and there and has been confirmed by a pco and you start treatment and you continue to getthe bites it is so upsetting. I stopped one treatment and those bites got worse. Did the Vikane and things still did not get better until we got rid of our bed but I still get them. I do lay on the couch where the dogs alerted to. I just want to cry! I have never had what looks like bites like this before until this craziness started.

10. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 10:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

So I got a call from the person that did our Vikane treatment and putglue boards out. He took oneto look under a microscope. He says the glue board shows that we have springtails and body lice. He seems to think that is what is biting me. I can't believe that is what is biting me b/c in my research you can see body lice and he says they are microscopic. Plus I also read that body lice affects people with pour hygine. I wash all our bedding several times a week in hot hot water and clothing gets washed the same way and put in the dryer one moretime before we wear it. Vacume like crazy. Plus my bites are nt wear body lice typically bite according to a few websites. When they showed me the glue board it I did not see anything at all. My bites for the most part are on the right side of my back. Some on the left side. I also get some on arms, face and and the front of my body.

Lou and killer queen what are your thoughts? Wish I knew how to download pictures on here that were sent to me via email.

Has anyone tried Aprehend yet? Would love some feedback. Plus can a 2600 feet house be effectively heat treated? I just want this nightmare over. I have one apprehend treatment scheduled.

11. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 10:18:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The home has a couple vaulted ceilings along with an open floor plan.

12. BuggerOffNY

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 19:24:32
    #

Login to Send PM

HelpBB - 8 hours ago  » 
    Plus I also read that body lice affects people with pour hygine. I wash all our bedding several times a week in hot hot water and clothing gets washed the same way and put in the dryer one moretime before we wear it. Vacume like crazy.

IDK anything about body lice and I'm not a PCO of any sort. But I very highly doubt the claim that body lice are a result of poor hygiene is anywhere near accurate. A lot of people think bed bugs are a result of poor hygiene, but that's been proven false time and time again. Bugs don't give a shit how clean your house is.

I would consider getting a second opinion on what the actual problem is. If you aren't able to get a second opinion (a lot of PCOs will do free inspections AFAIK, if not relatively cheap), then given what you've said, I'd say it's probably what your PCO claims. You haven't physically seen a bed bug in quite a while. I don't even have a massive infestation, myself. It's pretty minor from what I can tell. But even I see bed bugs crawling around my bed at night and have been able to easily find their nests.

I want to repeat that I'm not a professional. I also want to make it clear that I have zero experience when it comes to detection dogs. But I have done quite a bit of research in the past on how detection dogs work and how scent permeates. It could be entirely possible that the scent from the bugs' nests remained, and the dog alerted to that scent even if there were no live bed bugs. I wouldn't take my word as gold, but I would certainly ask the handler you used about this. It's not far fetched at all, and it would explain why the dog alerted yet you haven't seen a bug since the Vikane treatment.

That said, I'm going to be doing a treatment myself with 22WP next week because I can't afford a PCO. I'll post my results. I'm not recommending the 22WP route, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that if the 22WP works, the Aprehend will also work considering they're very similar. In fact, Aprehend would likely work far more effectively than 22WP as Aprehend has been designed to keep the spores around and ready to infect the bugs far longer than 22WP will do.

13. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 20:22:23
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggerOFFNY, I may typed something wrong (I am sorry about that) but we did find a live bed bug in our bed just a few short days after the Vikane treatment. Which is so disheartening. That is why I got a hold of the company. They were the ones that recommended the dog's saying they truly believe in them and they would show me we do not have bed bugs. When the dogs did alert to different spots that same company said oh well they must not be that accurate. This is after we spent well over $200. I would take body lice as a very plausible answer if the live bed bug was not found shortly after treatment, if the dogs did not alert to anything, and if what I read about body lice stated they are microscopic and they would affect anyone. I know head lice can affect anyone but from what I have read body lice you can easily see. Oh how I wish that was our problem. Sounds like it would be a lot easier to get rid of. I am so depressed.

BuggerOFFNY I hope your treatment goes great. No one should have to go throughthis.

14. jacksonsi

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 21:20:35
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can afford it, go fo for the Aprehend !

15. BuggerOffNY

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 7 2018 11:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

HelpBB - 14 hours ago  » 
    BuggerOFFNY, I may typed something wrong (I am sorry about that) but we did find a live bed bug in our bed just a few short days after the Vikane treatment.

I had read this correctly. How possible is it that one of the bugs was on an article of someone's clothing while you were out of the house, and got back in that way? How long has it been since you've seen a live bed bug? Like I said, my infestation isn't a very strong one. But I still see a bug once or twice a week crawling around on my bed. And I can easily find their nests in a few spots on my bed.

16. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 7 2018 14:56:06
    #

Login to Send PM

We got undressed in the garage. put clothes and shoes in the pactite we bought heated them in the garage for 8 hrs thenput everything in bag and put it into dryer for 60min. We took showers immediately upon coming in. Washed hair real well. Washed all bedding that day. I continued to get bites and about a week or so later found a bed bug in the bed. We since then had 2 separate dogs come in and we were told that they only smell the scent of alive bedbugs. The dogs alerted to several of the same areas.

Jacksonsi how many aprehend treatments did you have?

17. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 20:54:58
    #

Login to Send PM

AFAIK, 22WP is not indicated for use indoors.

18. anonabug

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 9 2018 23:31:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to take a look at my successful experience using Botanigard WP in two different infestations in two separate buildings, in two different locations. It worked.

https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/botanigard-has-worked-in-two-separate-units

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 7:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

anonabug - 8 hours ago  » 
    You might want to take a look at my successful experience using Botanigard WP in two different infestations in two separate buildings, in two different locations. It worked.
    https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/botanigard-has-worked-in-two-separate-units

The technical issue is with the pesticide label.

20. HelpBB

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 11:07:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone tried Aprehend and if so how did it work for you?

21. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 12:44:04
    #

Login to Send PM

You're just not a fan of reality, I take it?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg