Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Apartment horror stories

(11 posts)
  1. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2009 17:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

This post is just basically a random post of things I have seen from 2003 till today. I have been beating up bed bugs week in week out and some things I have seen are just ......sigh.
    Things like walking into an apartment and being nearly knocked out from the odor of 20 boxes of mothballs trewn about the apartment and 20 empty cans of Raid all over the place. Bed bugs in every room. Hundreds of blood smears per wall surface. I open one small bedroom door and I can nearly smell the bed bugs over the mothballs. The door won't open all the way because one of 4 mattresses blocks it from opening fully. All of them are infested. I lift one mattress just to look and now I have bed bugs crawling on my hand.

One time I go to an apartment to check for bed bugs and as soon as I open the door the inspection is over. Bed bugs are crushed in the door jam and spinning around in spider webs right above my head.

I went to this one apartment, nice place in a nice part of town. I knock on the door and this elderly lady answers the door and I explain who I am and ask if I can come in to do an inspection. She says "I don't have bed bugs!!!" Just then I realised she has 6 tiny nymphs crawling on her neck. I ask to do an inspection in a friendly manner and she lets me in. From 10 ft away I can see thousands of bed bugs on the sides of the lazyboy she slept, breathed and watched TV in 24 hours a day. I lifted a sewn on pillow tuft and once again I have bed bugs crawling over my hand. I wash them off in the bathroom and turn around and see something in the bathtub out of the corner of my eye. Looks like small mounds of dirt. Nope. It's piles of drowned bed bugs she's been washing off her body every night.
    It was a week before Christmas and I noticed bed bugs on the sides of some of the presents wrapped in white gift wrapping. Bed bugs for Christmas anyone?

I have noticed that ethnic minorities are tighly woven social people and it's pretty simple, they rely on each other and help each other out. Baby sitting for instance. I walk into an apartment to "check" to see if they have bed bugs and sure enough half the kids I see are from apartments I have previously treated for bed bugs. Apartments I have "cleared" after aggressive treatments. Sure enough a few weeks later they are now reinfested. So is all the brand new furniture they bought. Start over once again. I treat them over several weeks and sure enough other kids, kids from the babysitter that is under treatment and not "cleared" yet are sitting on the couch watching TV happy as can be yelling "woot woot woot" to Jerry Springer

I'm sent to a split townhouse to treat for roaches. A woman opens the door and the smells of cockroache feces is enough for me to run to my truck and grab my respirator. I walk into the kitchen and hundreds of roaches are observed out in the open in draod daylight. This is their kitchen.....
    I go up stairs to check out the bathroom and in the hallway I can bed bugs every where and that all to familiar smell is creeping through my respirator due to the fact I haven't shaved in 3 days. Anyhow I take a keep in the bedrooms and yeah, bed bugs, feces, cast skins and eggs are pretty much everywhere you look. After treating for roaches I inform the woman, sitting on the floor braiding her daughters hair watching, you guessed it - Jerry Springer and tell her she has a serious bed bug problem. Her responce without even looking at me was "Oh, It that wath they are?". I honestly don't think she could have cared less. She also was baby sitting about 4-5 children. I asked to check just one more room because I saw an infants crib. I lifted the sheets and pulled the mattress up and sigh....once again bed bugs crawling on my hand.

I go to check another apartment and I find bed bugs within minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's a solid 8.
    She has 2 infant twins and stuff on top of stuff and all of that is under massive amounts of clutter. I give her the "bed bug prep sheet" with clear instructions on how to prep the apartment for extermination. I come back the next week and not one thing was done, nothing at all. She says that she did everything I asked and though I was coming the day before, and since I didn't show up she put everything back in frustration. As soon as she said that I looked to the left of the TV for the pile of cat feces I observed on my last visit. What a suprise! So detailed in putting everything back The sad thing is, she did this 4 more times in a row with the same excuse. Amazing. Finally she moved out and I got to work on it. She without a doubt took them with her.

I have walked into apartments where the tenants have been putting up with bed bugs for 2 years without saying a word to managment. Burn marks from lighters are observed. Cans of Raid all over the place. Mothballs all over the baseboards. Empty jugs of Ortho Home defense. And the most frightening thing I've seen to date was a gallon of Kerosine with no Kerosine heater in sight.........Oh my.

Well that's all for now. I'm 3 reebs deep into miller time after a 9 hour shift. I'm spent. Sorry for the spelling mistakes if I made any, I'm pretty much going to bed. Good night, sleep tight, yadda yadda.

2. katie

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2009 17:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Great stories. Thanks for sharing them and for fighting the good fight against these blood sucking creatures!

3. bedbugsbad

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2009 17:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

BBD,

Great story from the front lines...

BBbad

4. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2009 19:01:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Here are some more stories. I go to an apartment and find bed bugs. The tenant says he wants to toss the mattress in the garbage. I tell him since it is quite infested it would be best to run to the store and get a $5-$10 plastic liner, to encase the bed so bed bug eggs and bug don't fall all over the place as he drags it through his apartment, down the stairs and out to the trash. He told me he's going to toss it out immediately and before I could say another word he grabs the mattress and takes it out to the trash. The sad thing is is that not only did he blow me off he literally ran holding the mattress, bouncing it down the stairs as if the amount of time lessened since he's running would be better in the long run with less time for the bugs to drop off........what could I do. After the initial treatment and handing out the prep sheet to the tenant I went to my truck and grabbed a cutting knife. I went to the mattress propped up against the dumpster and cut it up with 4-5 huge gashes so no one would at least take it. I finished my service for the property 2 hours later and upon leaving the complex I noticed that the mattress was gone. I remember hoping the super took it to the main dump for collection.

About 7 months later I have another apartment to check for bed bugs and I see signs of bed bugs in the stairwell. The apartment was on the 2nd floor. Great, I wonder if this is going to be another solid 8 out of 10 or an 11. I go directly to the bed room just to see how bad it is and remove the sheets from the mattress. I just stared for a few seconds observing 4 ft long sections of duct tape over the center of the mattress. It quickly became obvious. This was the mattress I cut up many months ago. I re-enacted cutting the mattress and it was spot on for the memory of cutting this mattress up was becoming clearer and clearer with every assimilated stroke. Sigh.....

The only time I can recall bed bugs affecting a surrounding unit was when an infestation upstairs that had been dealt with for 2 years with cans of Raid and home remedies was due to a huge hole in the ceiling in the unit directly below it. It was about the size of a basketball and I could see light coming through this hole through the baseboards. Unfortunealty all three tenants had no reactions to the bites and olny discovered bed bugs after smashing them for months and then reading about them on-line one day. My knees are still hurting from that job.

I've heard ever excuse when it come to not preping the unit. Everything from "I work nights" to "I don't have bed bugs in these rooms, just in the bedroom" to "These aren't bed bugs they are pill bugs so I'm not moving S$#@!". It's amazing. People still to this day don't even know bed bugs are real and that it isn't just some saying from the 40's to put your kids to sleep before you watch Jerry Springer.
    Just today I dealt with 3 ladies that had bed bugs for 6 months before they figured it out. The place was infested. She says " I had no idea what bed bugs were! Then I went on-line and I realised they were really REAL!!!" That was followed by "in the last 72 hours I learned everything about bed bugs".
    I look over living room and notice a purple box that looks like this

http://www.hotshotbrand.com/NR/rdonlyres/583533D2-5A72-48E2-A95F-5B0339EA8ADF/0/BedBugFogger.jpg

Honestly, how can these products make their way onto the shelf? Snake oil at it's finest.......makes me think I'm on the wrong side of buisness.......:(

5. Adele

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2009 23:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugdude - you are most certainly not on the wrong side of the business

I think the PCO industry could use more caring professionals like you - you certainly stand out as an example

6. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 7:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey thanks Adele, BBbad and Katie.

These are examples of how BB's are spreading fast. Probably everything I said is going to happen all over again today as people go about their daily lives. And now that the kids are taking summer break things are going to really ramp up again. I hope it isn't like this one account though. It started off with 2 units. At the end of the summer they wound up with 53 new cases. 26 buildings spread over 3 acres, seperated buildings. I would get there at 9AM, walk to each unit, treat like 40-50 apartments, work right through lunch and leave at 5-6PM. After a few months I made a few friends and tenants would give me bottled water, energy bars and hot dogs, quick bite kind of stuff But looking back I'm glad we lost that account. I'm getting too old for that stuff.

7. surrounded

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 14:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

why dont you print these stories out and mail them to your local city councilmembers. In triplicate. If you are in new york, send them to the damn mayor. Everyone send your most terrible and terrifying bedbug stories, so bad that it gives you hives just reading it. We need a massive public information campaign.
    I see bedbug-infested furniture on my block every day, and then in a few hours it is gone. HELLO!

8. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 14:58:36
    #

Login to Send PM

"BedBugs Horror Tales"
    It sounds intriguing... (Hi, Dude...;-))

9. persona-non-bugga

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 17:04:56
    #

Login to Send PM

These are intense, scary stories. I feel like I should be sitting by a campfire right now.

bedbugdude, do you really treat 40-50 apts per day sometimes? Or was that a little exaggeration for creative effect? ... which, hey, it worked ... freaked me out.

10. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 17:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Got another one for ya. I was out today to check up on a roach treatment I made last week and I ask the guy how things are going. He said "yeah the roaches are pretty much gone but I have bed bugs". He hands me a bag with a BB in it. I do an inspection to see how bad it is, can't be, I was just here last week. So I go straight to the bedroom and see white dust all over the floor. I ask what it is. He said "My mom went on-line and did some research and told me to get some diatomacious earth, so I went down to the pool store and got some". Sure enough he got pool grade DE. Upon further inspection I look at two night tables on either side of the bed and realised they were painted white, white streaks from what appeared to be paint brush strokes. I said "Let me guess, you put some DE in a bucket, ppoured some water in it and painted these table right?" With a big grin on his face he said YES!!! Sigh. I looked up to the celing fan and the edges of the blades were covered in a thick dusting. My god he must have been breathing that stuff in all day and night. So were his dogs. Thank god he didn't have any children. Matter of fact I think this guy should be spayed OK joking aside I told him to clean it up with mops and damp towles and use a respirator to clean the place up starting with those fan blades, top to bottom. Just another example of what people are doing to fend off bed bugs.
    I'm sure I'll have a new story by next week, one that will blow me away once again.

For the record I'm in South Joisey. I couldn't live in NY, too stinky and the traffic! No thanks

11. bedbugdude

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 2 2009 17:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

persona-non-bugga - 1 minute ago  » 
    These are intense, scary stories. I feel like I should be sitting by a campfire right now.
    bedbugdude, do you really treat 40-50 apts per day sometimes? Or was that a little exaggeration for creative effect? ... which, hey, it worked ... freaked me out.

That was one account that I lost due to a managment change. But yeah, I literally did upwards of 40-50 apartments a week at this place. My highest all time record was 68 apartments all by myself. I carried a back pack that had a big bottle of Phantom, Demand CS, glue boards, foggers, a bulb duster, a bait gun with 20 tubes of roach bait, ant bait station and 2 B&G tanks, one repellant, one non-repellant. It was like 26 building 20 units a peice some of them and they were spread over like 2.5 acers of land and I had to walk the whole way. Using my truck to get around would actually slow things down the way the parking lots and building were placed. On foot I could just cut through buildings. Anyhow there is no need to lie, I just write about the things I have seen and observed. Life is stranger then fiction. I went to a BB seminar and they had a close up pic of some dude toenails INFESTED with bed bugs! Took me a few seconds to understand what I was looking at. Then it clicked with not only me but everyone else in the room and then the room was filled with gasps of horror - yikes! Apparently this guy was about 1,200 pounds and had heart failure or something and they took him to the hospital. And that's when the photo was taken. I can only imagine what the mattress looked like.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,633 posts in 50,002 topics over 154 months by 21,865 of 22,346 members. Latest: georgia-sos, gingerstelpa, jaa5108