Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Apartment caulking

(4 posts)
  1. HelpinDC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 22:40:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Stupid question about caulking in apartments here. I tried to read all the posts about caulking, but I'm afraid that I'm still not clear on some things, so sorry for any redundancy on this forum.

I live in an apartment building (4 units per floor, 3 floors) and have suspected all along that our bugs have come in from a neighbor's apartment. Apparently no other apartments on our floor have had bugs (we live on the 3rd floor, which is the top floor), although I'm not sure I believe that. The apartment directly below us (2nd floor) DID have bed bugs and was treated with a heat treatment and apparently is having no more problems. There is also a unit on the first floor that was confirmed with bugs and is currently undergoing treatment. I've tried to get our landlord to enact a building-wide solution, rather than haphazardly treating one at a time on different schedules, but have failed. I've cried, wrote threatening (but nice) letters, called both our PCO companies many, many times, and made "friends" with their technicians.I won't go into our saga, but it's unclear whether or not we still have bugs in our apartment. (We're in a "wait-and-see" mode with active monitors in our apartment, as the PCO requires evidence before moving forward.)

But, to my question...I have decided that we definitely need to caulk the baseboards underneathe the carpet around our apartment. There are some pretty large gaps in some spots inbetween the baseboard and the floor! However, do we need to caulk the baseboard on ALL walls of our apartment, or just walls that are shared by another unit? Clearly, walls shared with our neighbors will be caulked. But what about walls inbetween our office and living room, for example?

And what about preventing bugs from coming in from our downstairs neighbors? (We don't have any upstairs neighbors?) Where are the entry points for that? (Is that perhaps why we would need to caulk all baseboards in every room? Is that how they gain access?)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Feb 3 2011 2:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I caulked all base boards on all walls.its a good idra cause it gives them less place to hide.I even caulked my coffe table and bed frame.

3. Crime Scene Clean

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 5:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

If you did want to caulk the walls, the way it works in my understanding is that all of the walls are shared because they're hollow inside. I am only just beginning to understand bed bugs, but I know about roaches just through some life experience.
    But if there are any similarities I'd guess that to a bug, the you'll think of the walls like rooms, and they will wander throughout until they find a 'door' or an opening, upon which they would exit. So I think if you do caulk it would have to close off every shared component of the building. That's been my understanding at least.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 12:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

First off when choosing a caulk you want to use a sealant, due to its elastomeric qualities. Second this is a good precaution especially around common entrances such as pipe and utility line access and gaps around moldings and in closets. But remember it is not bed bug proof as they may be carried in on items as well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111