Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Anyone used "Ecology Exterminating Services" in NYC?

(9 posts)
  1. scratchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 15:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Quickly - about me:
    Started itching Monday - by Tuesday had 30 identifiable bites, by Wednesday 60, and today around 100 (hard to count after a certain point!).
    We have the tell-tale signs of bb fecal matter and little blood spots on the sheets... Also, spotted a discarded box spring, mattress and chest of drawers outside our building yesterday. I've been avidly reading this site, and contacted "Killer Queen" and asked him to come in, then contacted the building mgmt and offered to pay all of the costs, as long as we could use KQ. They said no, that we have to use "their guys", who will come round for an inspection on Monday. I am mindful that inspections often miss the problem, and that not all PCO's are created equal. It's clear that I am pretty sensitive to them (my husband barely reacts), so I am desperate to get this sorted, or at least reduced as soon as possible. The building mgmt will be using http://www.ecologyexterminating.com/. Has anyone here used them? with what success? If their inspection comes up empty, should the landlord accept a letter from a dematologist? Yours, tired and emotional in Chelsea.
    PS. Anyone else had breathing problems associated with bb's? Or is my paranoia just getting out of control....

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 15:40:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't clean up any feces and watch for live ones to capture. Leave any and all evidence undisturbed for the PCO to see.

Jim

3. Overwhelmed

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2009 16:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Scratchy. I used Ecology Exterminating and while I personally wouldn't choose to go with them again knowing what I know now, that doesn't mean they won't be able to solve your problem. I made mistakes (sleeping on my couch, washing away chemicals after the first visit because I didn't realize it was bad to wash my floor) that worsened my situation and I'm sure that things would have worked better if I had done my research sooner. I was too casual about the problem initially and have no one but myself to blame for that.

It took 5 visits, but I've now gone about 2 months without being able to find any sign of bed bugs (although I'm going to hire a bed bug dog before taking things out of their plastic bags). I found that some of their people were more thorough and helpful than others. My first inspection was unfortunately cursory--my problem was severe enough that the bugs were easy to find in their primary hiding spot--but when I was still having problems later on, they sent someone who did a much more thorough job.

Their standard course of action is to treat 3 times, at two week intervals. They treated beds, bed frames, dressers, and couches thoroughly even in the rooms where they found no sign of infestation. I had to request that they treat my outlets and switch plates and I would suggest you make sure they do that.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 3:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

One question to ask is whether the company will be inspecting all units attached to yours (above, bottom, sides).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. scratchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 17:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much, Overwhelmed...I will definitely get them to treat the outlets and switch plates.

We are in the process of laundering and bagging today.
    Just wanted to check opinions on zapping them in the dryer - I have a lot of clothes, and a large number that were only recently dry-cleaned - so I thought I would put some of them in the dryer on high for 45 minutes - should that do the trick?

Nobugs - I have urged the building managers to make sure that the surrounding apartments get checked, but they have not told me whether they are doing so. It does worry me that the problem may be dealt with temporarily only to come back. Is there anyway of "sealing" one's apartment to prevent bugs coming in from elsewhere?

2 final questions -
    1 - what do we do about our books - do we have to throw them away?
    2 - my grandmother gave me her white mink coat. I never wear it, but would be devastated to throw it away - does anyone know how to get a fur coat cleaned and bed bug free?

6. Cantfindthem

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 18:33:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Scratchy,

Perhaps you can use Vikane gas for your books? As far as the mink coat, I know it is not advisable to seal it in plastic. Perhaps a PCO would have better advice on that?

7. ufatbasted

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 24 2009 18:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Your first instinct was correct Killer Queen is the way to go. To bad your LL doesn't want to use him. I didn't have any breathing problems but these things will make you nuts

Good Luck

8. ohdear

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 15:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Virtually the exact same thing happened to me - my LL wanted me to use "their guys" but I knew that they wouldn't get rid of the problem, given that they were supposed to be treating the building in the first *^&@ing place.

So . . . and keep in mind that my landlords are awful, rude and uncooperative . . . I threatened to break my lease and take them to court until they agreed to pay most of KQ's fee - he does NOT charge a lot, especially considering that it's typically a one-shot deal, but it's not the bargain-basement crap that LLs like to use.

So just a thought, that your LL might be willing to pay KQ whatever they pay their guys. And it's TOTALLY worth it if you have to write a (small) check to cover the rest.

9. ohdear

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 16:30:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I should clarify - it took me a few days to get in touch with my LL and by that time I'd decided to use KQ no matter what - but they still paid for most of it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs