Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Anyone tried the new Allergy luxe matress covers - plus new here need advice

(10 posts)
  1. weeseweiss

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2009 15:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I am new here and was just wondering if anyone has tried the new Allergy Luxe line from Bed bath and Beyond. They claim to be bed bug proof and have a patent pending zipper that bed bugs can't escape from. I saw all the info here about the Protect a Bed being the best but the Allergy Luxe was not in that test. Just wondering if anyone had tried it. It's a little cheaper than the Protect a Bed but I will spend the extra money if its a better prouct.
    Also I am new here and having major anxiety due to a single bug I found in an under the bed storage box that looks exactly like a bed bg. So far no other signs but a couple weeks ago I did have some bites on my arm that I couldn't figure out. Now I am putting two and two together. Have an exterminator coming tomorrow. My condo associaton has them come out every week for anyone having any sort of problems with any bugs and to do the building in general. Hoping the guy knows what he's doing. I haven't been anywhere- hotels and such- nor have I had anyone in my house at all for months. So I cannot for the life of me figure out where this bug came from. I can only assume where there is one LIVE bug there are more though and I am beside myself with worry. I don't even know where to start looking for these things! Is there any chance I have only one???

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2009 16:14:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I have not seen any independent scientific testing data for Allergy Luxe. It may be available now but I did not find it when the product launched.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2009 17:52:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Cant comment on the mattress encasements but I will just say yes it is possible to have only a single bed bug in an apartment.

It kind of depends how it got there. If it was a random encounter out in the wide world then yes people do sometimes get just the one. It however also possible that the source is a little closer to home and that one is the start of the problem coming in from an adjoining property.

I would suggest that you invest some time to read the FAQ, look through some of the good sites on the internet and familiarise yourself with the definitive signs of bed bugs:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Everyone should be in the habit of looking for signs as they clean their sleeping area once a month so any problems are caught at the early stages where they are easier to deal with.

If you are concerned that is may be a building issues then why not use a little neighbourly advice and pass out the spread the word documents located here:

http://www.bedbugbeware.com/spreadtheword.html

If you do find anything else try and take a picture, post the link here and we will try and id it for you.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

4. wirehead

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2009 18:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, as Nobugs said, Allergy Luxe hasn't been tested scientifically like the ones you can buy through here have. Anecdotally... our household got our encasements from BB&B (both Clean Rest and Allergy Luxe brand) and they worked fine for us. We did duct tape over the very end of the zipper though.

5. Blue_Ox

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2009 22:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe it would be a good idea to try the new ClimbUp insect interceptors? If you google it, you will find a link back to a blog post on this site (from Feb 24).

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 19 2009 0:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

7. MartyJMK

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 19 2009 12:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried Allergy Luxe (I bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond I believe) and they were crap. Tore easily and caused me to have worse nights of hell after being treated. DO NOT get them. I've had Protect A Beds (advertised on this site) and they are much better and not much more expensive.

8. stacymilson

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Apr 5 2011 18:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a bit confused what you mean by "scientific testing data"
    Is this what you're talking about:

securesleep.com/pages/Lab-Certified.html

I only found googlescholar stuff on like pesticides, not mattress covers

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Apr 6 2011 11:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

stacymilson - 16 hours ago  » 

Is this what you're talking about

Yes. Except the poster was asking about Allergy Luxe. (Note: they may have testing data, I just have not seen it.)

Besides doing their own tests, companies should have an independent entomologist test their product. They should be able to provide this on request, though these test results often are not posted on the product website. They are not likely to be published either.

Protect-a-bed and Mattress Safe both have encasements which have been tested to keep bed bugs from going through the pores of the encasement, the zipper, or the zipper end stop, if used properly.

While most PCOs and entomologists seem to recommend encasements for bed bugs, some don't. You can read more in our encasements page.

10. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2011 7:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I read all the online reviews I could find. Protect-a-Bed was not real favorable, as were most reviews I found. I purchased nine Allergy Luxe covers last summer, so I could cover both mattresses and boxsprings. The Allergy Luxe seemed a little thicker than most covers, but you still have to be very careful, as we've had one small tear. My PCO was tossing the mattresses and boxsprings around, so now my husband and I gently remove them before the PCO comes to our home. I don't know how many beds you have to do, but how about getting one of each? Then you can compare the quality. I taped over the entire length of the zipper. I'd do that no matter which encasement I was using. Tape is cheap insurance.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111