Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Anyone Treat Moving Truck w/Vikane (in Chicago)???

(13 posts)
  1. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 11:57:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I will not move to another place in Chicago due to the infestations that are 'exploding' in the city right now. This is the tip of the iceberg because the vast majority are not being reported. I believe that using Vikane on a moving truck full of my stuff is the best way NOT to keep spreading these things. Stop moving until you are sure you aren't bringing them with you. I still haven't found a good resource for Vikane treatment in the Chicago metro area. I'm willing to drive but this information is hard to come by. If you have any numbers or companies... PLEASE share them with us... Thanks

2. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 18:04:51
    #

Login to Send PM

i've scoured the internet for ANY information about Vikane. I guess I'll have to drive the truck down South if no one does that in the Midwest

Even the small towns are not safe from BB's. I really want to stay in Chicago but it seems as if the infestation is bad and getting worse each week. As you all know these are more than pests or bugs..they play with your mind and almost every minute is spent thinking about them. It's been hell for months. Everything is bagged and it's always great paying rent in the City when you cannot even enjoy coming home. I don't want to take these with me and I sure don't want anyone else to go through this sleepless hell because I brought some along. Vikane seems like the only solution to deal with all my belongings. Too bad it's not easy to find this service.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 0:57:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not even sure Vikane is legal in Illinois. So that's the first question.

Here, persephone mentions a firm which will use thermal methods developed by ThermaPure to treat a truck in Chicago. As far as I can recall, no one on the forums has used them yet.

Plunkett's is a MN firm that also works in Illinois, and Smithereen is a Chicago firm -- both use thermal methods developed by TEMP-AIR to treat homes. If the option Persephone mentions does not work, either firm MAY also be willing to thermally treat a truck full of stuff, or they may know of firms which Vikane treat a truck locally. (I have not used either and this is not a personal recommendation, though several people here have used Smithereen's traditional treatments.)

You could contact Bed Bugs and Beyond and see if they will do the Vikane treatment or know anyone locally who will. (Again, not a personal recommendation, but they're a well-known firm for this service in some areas such as the east coast.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 9:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information, Nobugsonme. I have Smithereen's treating my apartment. I just don't like the idea of having all my stuff bagged up in the middle of the room. The clothes can be laundered but the other bags are full of everything else. Wed. is the 2nd visit. I plan on keeping all my stuff in bags UNTIL I can actually find a company that uses Vikane. I've left email inquiries with BBandB, Rose's, Anderson's, a few places up in WI and await a response. I cannot believe I'm the only one that feels Vikane is one of the only options between moves. My mom lives down in GA and I'm sure they Vikane there because termites are widespread there. It would be expensive to drive but at least I wouldn't need a hotel room so the cost would be similar. Chicago blows my mind. They have one of the worst cases of BB but very limited options on tackling this horrible plague. Even though I know many places big and small have BB's. I feel as if Chicago is on the verge of a catastrophic explosion and no one is addressing it. By the time they do it will be too late for so many of us. I can see the signs. It's like a movie on the plague. Every street is full of furniture and clothing. At the laundry mat everyone is looking at each other; especially if they have bags of stuff. I'm the only ones uttering those two horrible words ... BB. Everyone else is just coping and hoping it doesn't spread to them. It will

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 12:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess my point was that if you can't find someone to Vikane gas a truck, you may find someone to use thermal in a truck. Plenty of companies local to you use thermal and it is then a matter of asking if they can thermally treat a truck.

6. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 14:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Is thermal as good as Vikane? I like vikane because it can treat EVERYTHING including electronics. Everything except food and skin cosmetics that is. I will explore this more IF Vikane isn't available in a 3 or 4 hour drive from Chicago.

Anderson has emailed me that they can fumigate a moving truck with another chemical. I cannot find any information on it other than it's deadly as hell and you can't do electronics at the same time. It's usually used for moles and rabbits. Their email follows

Anderson can do trailer fumigations with Phostoxin. This material is labeled for a wide range of items and pests.

To do this type of fumigatin:

· Trailer can not be moved for 3 days (72 hours)

· Trailer is locked and placarded.

· Electronics can not be be fumigated with Phostoxin.

· Anderson needs to test and clear the trailer before it can be released back to you.

I can provide the contact info for those of you that are interested. I know there are MANY interested in treating a moving truck with SOMETHING.. something that WORKS

7. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 14:55:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Off subject. I have been greatly helped by a company here and Kevin has provided me with so much information. We have Smitheeen's dealing with our infestation and they have been good. Kevin works through A-Alert Exterminating Service, Inc. (773)348-3337. It seems like both these companies are pretty good. I guess it depends on whom you get though!!!

I'm checking with Bed Bugs & Beyond. I know they're bit out East and in Florida. Just hoping they know of someone in the midwest that can provide the same services. They have mixed reviews but I guess that comes with being really, really busy out there. Chicago will know how you NY'ers feel very soon.

8. really bad problem

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 20:00:31
    #

Login to Send PM

deathtobugs - 10 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the information, Nobugsonme. I have Smithereen's treating my apartment. I just don't like the idea of having all my stuff bagged up in the middle of the room. The clothes can be laundered but the other bags are full of everything else. Wed. is the 2nd visit. I plan on keeping all my stuff in bags UNTIL I can actually find a company that uses Vikane. I've left email inquiries with BBandB, Rose's, Anderson's, a few places up in WI and await a response. I cannot believe I'm the only one that feels Vikane is one of the only options between moves. My mom lives down in GA and I'm sure they Vikane there because termites are widespread there. It would be expensive to drive but at least I wouldn't need a hotel room so the cost would be similar. Chicago blows my mind. They have one of the worst cases of BB but very limited options on tackling this horrible plague. Even though I know many places big and small have BB's. I feel as if Chicago is on the verge of a catastrophic explosion and no one is addressing it. By the time they do it will be too late for so many of us. I can see the signs. It's like a movie on the plague. Every street is full of furniture and clothing. At the laundry mat everyone is looking at each other; especially if they have bags of stuff. I'm the only ones uttering those two horrible words ... BB. Everyone else is just coping and hoping it doesn't spread to them. It will

I'm feel your pain....I'm in the same predicament here in Chicago. Since becoming infested I swear I see them everywhere. I know for a fact that they were at a ER I went to to get treatment. It is like living in a 24 hour horror movie that you can't escape.

9. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 21:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

really bad problem.. what are you doing to get through this. the people below me had a nasty infestation that no one knew about. so it was a matter of time till they wandered up to me. even though we both are getting treated; they are not treating the people next to us. you know, like a wall will keep these bugs out of their place. so i am happy to be getting treated but know that they WILL come back no matter what.. they're just hiding in the walls or the neighbors flat. i see them all over too.. anything thats brown makes me freak out. i need to break my lease and get my stuff gassed...and then cross my fingers that my new place doesn't have them or one is hiding somewhere in my stuff.. it sucks

10. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 1 2010 14:10:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Great News!!! I just got off the phone with the President/CEO of Bed Bugs & Beyond. He assured me that they are on their way to the Chicago area!!! He spent about 30 minutes with me talking about how to deal with these bugs.. amazing that the CEO took time since those guys are busy.

The time frame is around 2 weeks they'll be in the Indy area and by the end of the month they should be available in Chicago. He quoted me $1500 for 26 foot trailer but cheaper for smaller trucks. You can rent a POD and that runs around $900. You'd have to call the 888 number or visit their website. This ain't cheap but if you can put ALL of your stuff in there and be BB free that is much better than endless exterminator visits that may cost more in the end. Also, since fumigation is not residual it's up to you to keep bed bug free after the treatment. He recommended a canine inspection of your new place and says they guarantee you for 6 months. Also they guarantee that they will fumigate your stuff for life AT the new place if it happens again.

Good news and I hope this saves some of us a bit of sanity

11. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 1 2010 15:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Rose and McCloud does fumigation as well. So I guess there are a few choices for us in Chicago. McCloud has very good rates and you drive the truck to their site in Alsip

12. deathtobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 2 2010 20:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

i 'think' i'm heading off to Madison WI.. my G/F school. maybe we will stay here if i can find a 'safe' place... but what is 'safe' these days? in apartments you just don't know the history and you don't know if the neighbors have them already or maybe the new guy moving in is bringing with him.. oh well. get use to it. bed bugs are here to stay. i guess you can consider yourself a pro now and help those that WILL get them eventually. trust me one day these will be as common as roaches and rats and not the big mystery they are now. it sucks but it was like this before..

of course madison and bloomington IN have huge infestations too. I just want to get a house or a place without a million units. they have a place up there called WIL-KIL.. that uses Vikane or Profume for under $500. the key is to find a clean new place and keep it that way.

13. bittenbitter

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 29 2012 4:10:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Chi-town as well, and my infestation actually came from Indianapolis. Sucks. I'm glad I found this thread, hada canine inspection and found a few items inmy house that are infested... But more disturbingly, the dogs "informed" their master that they have entered my closet walls somehow and are now moving between units. I swore I would never leave this place until their eradicated to prevent someone else from inheriting this hell, but I need to leave bc it is affecting my health. But I will inform the people above and below me since my property manager won't. This vikane stuff sounds promising. Thetrick will be finding someone cheap enough that my husbandwill agreeto.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,646 posts in 50,006 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa