Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Anyone know what to use for animals?

(14 posts)
  1. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2008 20:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

So as I found out this week I have not been the only one complaining about BB's in my building. My neighbor could use some help in finding out if there is something that would help her dog out. I had seen something on one of my fact finding missions but can't seem to locate the info. I don't remember if it was a post or a FAQ.

Is there anything she could use that may help the dog either not get bitten or to help with the scatching from the bites?

2. bugobsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2008 21:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I dusted my cats with food grade diotomaceous earth (not pool grade-- that's toxic!). Not 100% sure if it helped or not, but I haven't noticed any new bites on them in a long time. Just a word of caution, though, if your neighbor uses this, s/he needs to be careful not to get it in the dog's eyes. Also, it is drying to the skin, so it may make the dog itch. It freaked me out at first because I wasn't sure if my cats were itching from bugs or from the DE, but there were no visible bites, so I presumed it was the latter. For an anti-itch medicine, I'm sure your neighbor could ask a vet.

3. Battleofthebugs

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jan 20 2008 19:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I read on this site, or else where, that frontline helps. Which is a relief because both of my cats and both dogs are on it, and they seem to be ok. I haven't found any bites on their stomachs, which I figure would be the easiest place for a bed bug to get to and bite. I also haven't been letting them sleep in the bedroom hoping this might keep them safe from bites (and away from the chem's in the room).

If your dog is getting bitten, you could use a oatmeal, or similar shampoo for sensitive skin. One of my dogs had very bad skin allergies a few years back, and a natural oatmeal shampoo helped soothe her itching. It's worth a shot.

4. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 12:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Not only are bed bugs but ticks and fleas are also starting to become pesticide resistant. We use I think Frontline but after I found 2 live fleas on my dog I called the vet and she said to switch to advantix or if using advatix switch to frontline.
    My dog had 100 bites on her belly during our infestation I think that she is still a little freaked out probably about as much as we are because she will itch from time to time. I have isolated her crate bed with cups on all four of the beds legs with DE in them and I also steam her crate every week or so. I never used DE on her.

5. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 12:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

A point worth making here is that if you use anything repeatedly you encourage resistance to develop, its a Darwinian evolutionary pressure thing. This can also be the case with PCO's who will often rotate the products that they use on a 6 monthly basis to ensure that this does not occur.

The other way around this is to use lower tech solutions for things like fleas, i.e. shake 'n' vac and plug in flea traps . In 99% of the cases of fleas I have seen this is all I recommend that people do.

Top tip of the day though is please don't put it off today and attempt to treat tomorrow. They lay eggs at an alarming rate and the eggs can remain viable for years. What is biting you today may have been laid ages ago.

David

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 13:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Can steaming rugs and fabric furniture help kill fleas and eggs and ticks?

7. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 15:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

From a PCO/researcher mentality, and this is just my opinion, treating your dog with any grade of DE (and I would love to know the difference between "food" grade or any other "grade) sounds like a bad idea. We get totally lost in the "it's just DE" mentality. DE is a registered pesticide and I haven't looked at the label recently but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to treat any pet or human directly with DE. DE is a dessicant and there is absolutely no way it can be good for their skin or to breath in.

As I type this I'm thinking about it and let me make that more definitive, treating your pets or self with DE is an idea I would STRONGLY suggest you think twice about.

8. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 18:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't use DE.Try Benadryl ( 1 mg. per lb.),that may help with the itching.I say may because it doesn't work for all dogs.If it doesn't help,there are others(prescription).I would try the old fashioned flea powder if you can find it,or maybe a ticktrol collar,to try and repel the BB's.Only one or the other,not both together.The thing is there are so many flea products,but most don't work anyway.Since we're not dealing with fleas or ticks ,I don't know if they work at all for BB's.I don't think any product will repel them,if they're hungry.I wish we could develop an itsy,bitsy web cam to know for sure.Sorry I can't be more help.Good luck

9. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2008 19:54:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Want to hear the advice given to me by the PCO? I would not try it but it is funny. Put vaseline on my dog like you would a bed leg and then try to bath her the next morning. I don't know why anyone would do that to their pet as that would be uncomfortable and very messy. I never said the PCO was smart!!

10. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 22 2008 8:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

That's hysterical. And people wonder why they have bad experiences with certain pest control companies? It's just a fact about the business. Anybody can start up a pest control company with no education, and I don't mean college/entomology education, I mean high school or less education.

That's a story to share with colleagues. Good stuff.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 22 2008 8:37:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the PCO also offer advice on how to make sure the dog remains on its feet over night and other top tips for canine isolation.

I think that one has to surpass my previous best know one "Bed Bugs don't bite hairy blokes" comment from a London council PCO. They even allowed that one on TV.

I think we may need a new classification PPCO or Professional Pest Control Officers.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  12. badlybugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 22 2008 10:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bugs-and-dogs-frontline?replies=16
    This is the link to the entire conversation we had just a week ago or so. Please check out Bugologist's opinion which seems to be informed by a Vet.

13. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 22 2008 14:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to be doing more research into my opinion in that post to see if it holds water.

14. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 22 2008 16:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugologist, If you smear the test subjects with vaseline, they will at least be water repellant. Just making fun at my own dogs expense! No animals were harmed in the typing of this post.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,560 posts in 47,917 topics over 148 months by 21,109 of 21,448 members. Latest: urka1234, bb111, Paranoidforevs