Anyone know this NYC PCO?

(9 posts)
  1. ukulelejack

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 21:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My landlord has chosen this exterminator--has anyone used them?

click for link

If so, can you tell me your experience with them? I just got his prep sheet--it's pretty straightforward. He says I also need to launder and dry clean everything in my closets, though the closets are in my living room, not my bedroom. I guess I really have to do this? The dry cleaning, including winter coats, is going to be pricey--I guess I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

I don't know how people manage to do this prep stuff--the costs, the labor--especially when alone!

2. stricken

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 21:27:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jack,

I don't know that company, but regarding the laundering and dry cleaning, some of the dry-clean-only stuff can be put in the dryer without being washed, as can your already-clean washable clothes. See this post from a while back on what this one guy put in the dryer (including a cashmere coat):

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/possible-early-infestation-1#post-51543

If you don't want to risk it with the dry-clean stuff, the same thread (and many others, even perhaps a FAQ) talks about the Packtite. It costs $300 but would pay for itself in dry-cleaning costs, plus you'd be prepared for avoiding future infestations (ie after travel). You can put the dry-clean stuff in there instead of paying for dry cleaning. If I had known I would have done it that way. (Now I've paid for both.)

There's lots of info in the forums about dryer time, etc., so that should also help.

Good luck!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 21:32:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not think I have heard of a NYC pco called "Terminate," but there are hundreds so this is no surprise. The laundry prep is not universal but extremely common. Bed bugs often infest rooms besides the bedroom and the pco is right to be concerned. Clean, dry clothing need not be washed before you dry it, which saves time and money, and even dry stuff which can't be washed may survive 20 m in a hot dryer. YMMV of course. Be extremely cautious about thick items (pillows, etc.) which may take a long time as they insulate bed bugs or eggs hidden inside.

You might have a look in the faqs also to see more about dealing with clothing, dryers, pacjtites, etc There's a link at the top of every forum page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ukulelejack

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 21:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. This is my first experience with BBs, I'm on night #4 with them, and now that I'm about to prep, I am starting to freak out just thinking about it, and how it might all be futile anyway in my multi-dwelling tenement where my neighbors are pack rats and my landlord doesn't care.

A couple more questions:
    1. Can I start prepping even though my landlord hasn't made a definite appointment with the PCO? I'd like to start vacuuming and laundering tomorrow and I am tired of sleeping in those same sheets. (There's no need to inspect, I guess, because I have two specimens.)

2. My winter clothes are already packed into airtight Space Bags in the closet--I don't have to open them and wash the clothes, right?

3. The PCO didn't say what to do with my books and I have hundreds of books, many of them in my bedroom. What should I do with them? (Throwing them out is not an option--does the Packtite work on paper?)

4. I have curtains hanging in my living room as room dividers--do I need to launder them too?

5. I am tossing out my bed pillows and replacing them with encased new ones. But what about decorative throw pillows?

I could ask a million questions--I think the human brain scrambles when faced with BBs.

5. stricken

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 22:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jack,
    Yes, it does scramble. People do put books in the Packtite, and my first batch is baking in there as we speak (Packtite came today).

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 22:04:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ideally, PCOs inspect to see where harborages are before treating. In this case you should not clean or prep before inspection.

HOWEVER, if your PCO is telling you to prep before their first visit, you may be obliged to. For example, in some cases, tenants were evicted because they did not prep before the PCO arrived, because the landlord/PCO told them to prep. They were accused of not cooperating with treatment.

Not saying your landlord would do this (and in some cases, it seems like some landlords would use this as a way to get rid of people).

Make sure you get word from the PCO as to whether they really want you to prep before they come to inspect, or not. The landlord is likely the intermediary so make sure s/he asks specifically about this.

Packtite is good for books, many have told us. Throw pillows too, but no one can guarantee how long you need to bake something thick like this. Probably best to do light loads to make sure thick items get hot to the core.

OTOH books may not need to be treated. I would certainly not do any prep you're not asked to do in this case. I'd leave books out if they are not covered in instruction sheet. You NEED an instruction sheet -- most PCOs provide this. Ask the landlord.

7. ukulelejack

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 22:52:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the PCO's sheet. I welcome any thoughts you have--it's really helpful as the reality of all of this hits. Thanks again.

Below is a bed bug pre-treatment checklist for homeowners. Please follow these steps before and after the treatment:

• Attempt to determine source of infestation
    • Dismantle bed(s) and stand on edge (including mattress and box springs)
    • Remove the gauze fabric on the back of the box springs
    • If headboard is secured to wall, it must be removed
    • Empty nightstands and dressers
    • Remove and vacuum sofa and chair cushions
    • Vacuum bedroom furniture including mattress and box spring
    • Vacuum and/or steam clean all carpets
    • Remove all clothing and non furniture items from floors
    • Take all clothing and bedding needs to be laundered (120' F minimum)
    • Remove and discard vacuum contents in sealed trash bag
    • After treatment, repeat laundering weekly
    • After treatment, repeat vacuuming three times per week
    • After treatment seal holes or tears in mattress
    • After treatment encase mattress and box spring in zippered mattress covers

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 23:20:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you're the one doing the bed bug treatment with that prep sheet. "Remove the gauze fabric on the back of the box springs"? "Dismantle bed(s) and stand on edge (including mattress and box springs)" for what? So the bugs walk up the wall and now hide in other areas? These 2 places they talk about are the Holiday Inn for bed bugs ... and they want you disturbing them... before they even come in?

They don't tell you what to do with the bugs that walk off these harborage areas as well as all the others. This is not your job it’s his. No wonder bugs are working their way through apartment after apartment. Good luck... But take caution

9. Badwolf

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 15 2009 1:35:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I received a nearly identical PCO prep sheet last month (I live in Toronto). I wonder if these companies are just downloading them off the net. I chose not to disturb the mattress in any way (felt it would just cause them to scatter, as KillerQueen states). When the PCO guy showed up, he said it was fine that I didn't move the mattress, and told me that they send the prep sheets hoping that people atleast do some of the things on it. Go figure.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,731 posts in 50,024 topics over 155 months by 21,873 of 22,356 members. Latest: citycpap, AnxiousAngela1989, weluckyfew201