Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Anyone fumigate for bbs? What were the results?

(4 posts)
  1. phantom1

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 14 2009 17:20:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a discussion with my PCO and am leaning toward the idea of fumigating my belongings and my home (studio apartment) because everything is so close together it is quite possible that the whole place is infested--has anyone had any experience with this and does it work? Once I did this would i be completely bb free and not have to worry or would it still be something that I'd have to watch for--that is assuming the problem is confined to my apartment only (which so far seems to be the case)
    Also--any ideas as to cost?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 14 2009 19:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi phantom1,

It is not possible to fumigate one apartment with Vikane TM (sulfuryl fluoride) gas.

It sounds like you're talking about having you STUFF fumigated with vikane TM (sulfurykl fluoride) gas, and your home treated in the traditional manner, with pesticides. I have heard that Pest Away and Bed Bugs and Beyond have teamed up and offered this service in NYC.

I do not know anyone offhand who has had this combination of treatments.

I do know a number of people here have had belongings fumigated in a truck and then moved to a new home. Lots of people have been happy with the commidity fumigation in and of itself.

Some have also had homes fumigated, but as I said, it can't be done in a single apartment.

You should be aware that at least one company in NYC is offering thermal treatment in single apartments. This also should (done properly) be a one-shot deal and should (we're told) get rid of bed bugs in the home and belongings.

The real question is whether neighbors have bed bugs and are being treated. NEITHER of these treatments provides any assurance against bed bugs being reintroduced by you or others. No treatment will work long-term if they are coming from your neighbors. Or being brought in by you or anyone else.

If you could get some REAL assurance that you're in the only infested unit (for example, by having a bed bug dog carefully search all units above, below, and on all sides), then you might risk going ahead. Unfortunately, you can't really get rid of bed bugs without dealing with neighbors.

And since bed bugs are so hard to spot, and since so many people do not react to their bites, asking neighbors if they have bed bugs is not enough.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. phantom1

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jan 16 2009 12:26:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Guys: No bugs....you are right can't just Vikane the apartment (oh how I wish we could) BUT...I think I have come up with a fairly viable solution for getting rid of these suckas. I am planning the following:
    1. Moving my stuff out of my apartment (wrapped in plastic) into a storage facility to keep while we....
    2. caulk up and seal all cracks and holes
    2. Treat again and repeat until the suckas are gone
    (I'll stay in the apartment after the second treatment to see if we have new activity)
    And then once they are gone
    3. Getting stuff fumigated painting the apartment and then returning the furniture and moving back in

No bugs--and all others with experience--does that make sense and how long do I have to wait until they are gone??
    How long do you think it will take to eliminate these bugs

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jan 17 2009 0:59:56
    #

Login to Send PM

phantom1,

I have not used this procedure. I have heard others talk about it. I think the company doing the treatment of the apartment is the best party to advise you as to how long this will take.

My points above are relevant also:

The real question is whether neighbors have bed bugs and are being treated. NEITHER of these treatments provides any assurance against bed bugs being reintroduced by you or others. No treatment will work long-term if they are coming from your neighbors. Or being brought in by you or anyone else.

If you could get some REAL assurance that you're in the only infested unit (for example, by having a bed bug dog carefully search all units above, below, and on all sides), then you might risk going ahead. Unfortunately, you can't really get rid of bed bugs without dealing with neighbors.

And since bed bugs are so hard to spot, and since so many people do not react to their bites, asking neighbors if they have bed bugs is not enough.

Caulking and sealing IS good, don't get me wrong. But are you talking to your landlord about having adjacent units searched by a good pro or a dog team?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,728 posts in 50,022 topics over 155 months by 21,871 of 22,355 members. Latest: BedBugNinja, citycpap, AnxiousAngela1989