Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

anyone else have this type of bite patterns?

(21 posts)
  1. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 22:44:08
    #

Login to Send PM

OOOOK. So I have been having single bites (not clustered or in rows) in random places - right now I see bite marks on my left shoulder, under my neck, 3 single bites spread around on my back, and maybe 3 (i say maybe bc they are little) on my chest . They are red/pink but do not itch.. my bites never were itchy.

any ideas? I have been told I have bed bugs by K9 2 weeks ago but have been getting treated since May. My last spray was about 1 week ago. I have 3 encasements - 1 cheap one that my dumb first pco said it was ok, one from cleanrest which we thought weren't enough so i just bought the protect-a-bed a week ago as all,.

HELP ME PLEASE! anyone else have these type of bite patterns? They dont appear all at once. maybe a few a day or so?

2. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 23:08:27
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

Take a look at the photo's here see if any of your bite patterns look like this

3. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 23:22:45
    #

Login to Send PM

hi tired

must be the chicago style of bed bug bites lucky us.
    at this moment i have 4 bites on various parts of my legs, 2 bites on my arms, 1 on shoulder, 3 bites on my lower back, and one on each hand -ALL are in singles in a seemingly random pattern. i've never gotten rows of bites, nor clusters. some bites blister and scab, some stay small and pink and raised (and still itchy, i totally envy your non-itchy response). they look like the pic flabergasted references of the persons back - except they aren't just on my back, and there aren't as many as that per eaten alive person.
    i used the same dog team you did, the only hit was sofas and the multi encased mattress. like you (again, a chicago thing?) i also have multiple encasements (1 protectabed that got abrasions, 1 target cheapie over that one with duct tape on zipper, final protectabed on top, carefully cushioned with sticky felt). A ALERT coming again on monday for more hunt and spray. i love those guys. they can't find my bedbugs (not for lack of trying to find them crawling around with flashlight and flush spray) but they are trying to kill them nonetheless - they trust the dog - and these guys are *thorough* -EVERY drawer (and for the record, i have 3 dressers), inside out and underside, EVERY piece of furniture, in bedroom and living room upside down, etc. nothing in my climbups in the bedroom EVER, and i steamed my bedframe weeks ago before installing the climbups, so i think my bed is clear (never any signs on mattress encasement or my white sheets).
    i'm steaming the sofas like a madwoman, there are never any signs that i can find on those either -and beleive me, i have looked obsessively with a flashlight magnifying glass. but there are so many hidden spaces in a sofa, and still bites, always bites. *sigh* i really really hate these things.

4. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 23:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago i PM'ed you a few minutes ago. but i feel your pain. I tell my bf often I wish I could burn my apt down and move out...

5. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 23:34:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a bad reactor. Mine look like the legs looked just like the picture I had 36 bites when we conected the dots needless to say dresses are out of the question and I am taking skin reatments for the scars. I also have had patches like the guys back on my arms it depends where they get me. I am only line trying to find the Tri-Die in the all the links the FAQ's take you to. A friend of mine came over and the they had feast on him last night and today. Residule please kick in.

6. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jan 15 2010 23:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

hi tired!
    I PMd you back.
    and flabergasted i'm so sorry you're still getting so many bites! 36! egads.
    Tri Die is readily availabe in US (to PCOs, not to us civilians), but maybe not in canada?
    its a dessicant though, your PCO surely must have some dessicant dust in aerosol spray sticky form for cracks and crevices? ask him.

7. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2010 0:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The my legs looked like that before we found out I had BB's. Thank god they figured out it wasn't scabies but now now I wished I had them. I would be over with this in a couple weeks.

8. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2010 17:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

hi wchicago i pmed you back just now~
    my bites kinda looks like the back of that guys. no big welts tho. my life sucks

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2010 20:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine also often looked like the first one here:
    http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

(Though people have asked me, it's not my leg). I recently hooked up Dr. Michael Potter with the subject of that photo because he wanted to use it in an upcoming article (bless him, he's been researching bed bug bite reactions).

Lots of people have these, though they're not "typical," and lots of people have single bites.

There's no way to identify bed bug bites from appearance, though people will look and say they are or aren't bed bug bites, those people are wrong in thinking it's possible. People do have all kinds of bites, and some of us have various kinds on different parts of the body or on different days or different times.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2010 22:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I just looked at all these links/bites and everyone of them looked like BB bites to me. Why do we insist you can’t tell a BB bite? I have lived for over a half century and I have never seen bites like this before on anyone, anywhere in my life until bed bugs came to my neighborhood and thus on this forum.

One or two bites may be different in structure, location, redness, etc., but putting all things together, nothing is comparable to bed bug bites.

IMO, our current mode of thinking is part denial, part stubbornness.

Bait

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jan 17 2010 2:03:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bait - 3 hours ago  » 
    I just looked at all these links/bites and everyone of them looked like BB bites to me. Why do we insist you can’t tell a BB bite?

Hi bait,

When I say you can't tell bed bug bites from appearance, I mean two things:

1) Bed bug bites do not all look the same. The bites on this page look different from one another. http://bedbugger.com/bed-bug-bites-photos/

2) You cannot look at a bed bug bite and say it's definitively a bed bug bite. Bites like the one in the first photo on that page (in my experience) seem to make doctor's think "scabies." They are from bed bugs, but you can't diagnose by looking at them, because other conditions may cause similar looking conditions.

12. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jan 17 2010 3:11:27
    #

Login to Send PM

You cannot look at a bed bug bite and say it's definitively a bed bug bite. Bites like the one in the first photo on that page (in my experience) seem to make doctor's think "scabies."

Nobugsonme you could not be more right. I had BB's bites at the end of September never found one in my house until November. I had slathered my body down twice with NIX becasue a doctor thought I had scabbies. This stuff contains Permitrin's like they are spaying in house and my pharmacist even question two treatments usually one is enough. If I hadn't been miss diagnosed I would have know at the end of September that I should be looking at another venue perhaps BB's.

The dematologist I am seeing has done wonders for me. But in our conversations he said most doctors will think it is scabbies, flea's or lice. If you do not tell your doctor you "think" it is BB's bites unless he has had exprience the creams they prescribe could cause damage.

This is one of those things we don't talk about in social places(except here ) so don't make suffer unnecessarily . You are victim of circumstance as is all of us and those to follow not a dirty filthy creature like the stigma that follows this issue brings.

13. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jan 17 2010 15:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

This sums it up:

The dematologist I am seeing has done wonders for me. But in our conversations he said most doctors will think it is scabbies, flea's or lice. If you do not tell your doctor you "think" it is BB's bites, unless he has had exprience ....

A highly trained person is a wonderful thing. I am grateful for doctors, and entomologists. Society needs its experts.

But we have knowledge too. Our bites are a collection of experiences. We know better than anybody else, where when why how how-often + instinct; it's the pros that should be learning from us. A true professional knows this, and we have a responsiblity to make this information known so that others can benefit.

No one is wrong here - we share the same goal - but I have been around long enough to know that there are ways of thinking that can and do change over time. Until we let go of pre-conceived concepts, we aren't open to new ideas and information. I don't mean to lecture; I have no special ability to think better than others, but for me the easy explanations and convenient excuses have been counterproductive. We cannot solve this problem in a vacuum; part of the answer lies in the fact that we are in midst of a global BB epidemic.

P.S. In flaber's story, the doctor also "guessed" scabies w/o a laboratory confirmation. Why is the doctor's guess better than ours?

Bait

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jan 17 2010 22:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

bait - 6 hours ago  » 
    In flaber's story, the doctor also "guessed" scabies w/o a laboratory confirmation. Why is the doctor's guess better than ours?

Hi Bait,

I agree with you completely that we have certain kinds of knowledge.

However, my point is that you can't definitively say something that looks like a bed bug bite is a bed bug bite. There's no definitive test.

It's a scientific fact.

Other things do look like bed bug bites. The fact that you or I have never experienced anything like it does not mean there are not other conditions that present like bed bug bites. And since most people are experiencing bed bug bites for the first time, they cannot say with certainty anything more than "I have never experienced anything like this" (as you said a few posts ago, I'm paraphrasing).

You can actually do a skin scraping and test whether someone has scabies or not. That doctors do not always do this is another matter.

You cannot test a bite and prove it is from bed bugs. (You can apparently prove it's from an arthropod, but that does not mean it's bed bugs.)

You cannot look at one and be sure it's bed bugs. There will likely, in time, be other evidence, but the reaction cannot be definitively said NOT to come from another source.

15. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 0:18:35
    #

Login to Send PM

nobugsonme they don't even have to do the scrape anymore there there is a dye that they just have to dab on an look with a uv light and I guess they can see the bug and the burrow.

The one thing I can tell everyone is if your a bag reactor the inching gets really bad go get a pair of plain white cotton gloves and put them on at night you won't rip them open. If you have scratched any open keep polysporin on them becasue these things stay swelled and red for so long you can't really tell if you have an infection for a few days. I was scatching in my sleep and ripped them open so some took up to month or more to heal and with the Nix which burned the hell out of my skin it made matters worse. I'd like to take a tube of NIX and stick for the 1st doctor with what I have learned now.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 0:38:50
    #

Login to Send PM

flabergasted - 17 minutes ago  » 
    The one thing I can tell everyone is if your a bag reactor the inching gets really bad go get a pair of plain white cotton gloves and put them on at night you won't rip them open. If you have scratched any open keep polysporin on them becasue these things stay swelled and red for so long you can't really tell if you have an infection for a few days.

flabbergasted,

This is good advice -- I used to tell people my own experience, which was realizing that if I did not scratch, the itching was much lessened. I could only suggest a great act of will, but found in my case it was worth it.

Gloves at night is a much better suggestion and covers times when will is absent.

(And thanks for mentioning the UV/dye scabies test!)

I am curious -- it sounds like maybe your good doctor recommended the gloves and polysporin. You said s/he was helpful with bites. Anything else you were prescribed or can pass on?

Thanks!

17. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 1:43:12
    #

Login to Send PM

One thing he did tell me is that it appears that people who have allergies will tend to react to bites more severly because our immune systems are not sure how to deal with the anitcoagulant they inject to stop us from feeling the bite and let the blood flow freely.

Dr told me I should soak in Aveeno bath for sensitive skin at least three times a week and not in hot water just nice and warm if the bath starts to cool add a little hot (plus it does help relax you and you do get better sleep). The colloidal oatmeal which is the active ingreadiant really helps with the itch. Showers take warm not hot Aveeno also makes a bar soap and body wash. I haven't been tearing myself open so I haven't had to use the polysporin as often. None of this costs a fortune. I Canada we have the luxury of paid health care so we want it prescribed if I find any thing out I'll post it. Coodos to Burak I hope America gets universal health care soon.

I have also gone to tea tree oil base personal hygene products. They are from Dr. Lou's neck of the woods. http://www.thursdayplantation.com available in health food stores and on line and stopped using the glycerol based products which Bait brought to the forum and you deleted a post my dematologist is aware of this and has no problem with it this stuff it is good for your skin and the body lotion really helps with dry skin and itching. I find if I do get nailed it heals twice as fast and I don't have big ugly welts that the world can see. (I wished I could be in NY to see Dr. Lou). When I get the tea tree oil on a new bite the swelling and itch stop almost instantly. I have used it on the kids a day after a bite and the it started to take it down right away. In the raw oil it has musty smell like linament but who cares it works. I also am taking uv treatments they blast me for 6 seconds. I can't see why a tanning bed for 2 or 3 minutes wouldn't do the same thing with the scars. They are treating me like I have very bad psoriasis. Maybe Dr. Lou can shed some more light when he is there.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 2:19:31
    #

Login to Send PM

flabergasted - 31 minutes ago  » 
    I have also gone to tea tree oil base personal hygene products. They are from Dr. Lou's neck of the woods. http://www.thursdayplantation.com available in health food stores and on line and stopped using the glycerol based products which Bait brought to the forum and you deleted a post my dematologist is aware of this and has no problem with it this stuff it is good for your skin and the body lotion really helps with dry skin and itching.

Hi flabbergasted,

I remember a post about glycerine-based products being problematic.

What post are you referring to which was deleted? I don't recall anything like that. PM me and maybe we can find it.

I do want to note that my own experience with tea tree oil was that it had a skin-drying effect over time. It is an astringent. (I am a fan of the oil, but it made my skin really dry and this made skin problems worse.)

Also, by "Dr. Lou" do you mean Dr. Lou Sorkin? He's not Australian, if that's what you meant. Perhaps you're thinking of Dr. Stephen Doggett, the author of the Bed Bug Code of Practice? Or maybe I have the wrong end of the communication stick!

19. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 3:40:27
    #

Login to Send PM

The post was by Bite glycerol as an attractant. I have had no problem with tea tree oil products other than the unusual smell. The actual oil does dry, I think it is a component of witchhazel (my mother used that stuff and some cosmetologists still do during facials as an astringent)but the lotion seems to really help the healing it is also not greasy I think after I will just use just the Aveeno bath products when bathing or showering I didn't get bites when other people did. . Doug Summers also posted that he was aware of this study and that the results were being posted who better to know than a dog person, I would definately contact him in a pheremone study. I have never believed these things are only attracted to C02 and body heat. I think we ring the dinner bell with all our body sprays, lotions and perfums etc.

20. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 3:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I also forgot to say I meant Dr Dogget's chart was`a god send helped me find the 1st brood and know what I am looking for great but Dr. Lou's, BBcouke and KQ's and allot of the people on this site helped me get through this so far. I haven't got bit tonight but I found 4 dead and killed 6 this is not a good sign.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2010 4:44:02
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the thread you mentioned, flabergasted.

If something was deleted, please PM me and let me know. Deleted posts can "come back."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs