Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Anyone else been banned from therapist's office because of BBs?

(25 posts)
  1. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 13:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

My therapist wants to do over-the-phone sessions for the considerable future. I understand his concern but it still makes me feel like a second-class citizen. Anyone else have this happen?

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 14:21:44
    #

Login to Send PM

That seems a bit extreme, especially for a therapist. I mentioned bed bugs to my kids' therapist, as bbs are adding to everyone's anxiety. Maybe it's time to find a new therapist.

3. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 14:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand his concern but wish he would ask around to other therapists or at least educate himself a little more. I told him I understood that he needed to take precautions but that he needed to sound less alarmist (giving me advice about calling lawyers, asking me what I’m doing about treatment, saying what a big deal this was) and not act like he’s a bb expert; that he needed to help me stay calm through this, because at this he is an expert.

The irony is, I feel therapy with him is the main reason I'm not completely freaking out (other than spending a lot of time on the Internet looking for information).

4. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 15:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing like that has happened to me yet, but it is mostly because I have not tried to make appointments for anything--dentist, doctor, bank, etc. Of course, we don't have to tell all these people except doctors and therapists.

If I were in your position, I would milk this for all I could. In other words, I would DO the phone sessions with him, and my main topic would be the isolation which this problem creates for us. Your phone talks with him would be a classic case in point. See what kind of answers he has for that, and make clear that his attitude toward you (though, as you say, it is understandable) illustrates the problem as well as anything could.

What really irritates me about this, is that people in our position know better than anyone does, how to protect others from a possible spread from us. I doubt that your therapist knows much about it. Educate him, and maybe someday he will let you back into his office, if you still want him by them.

5. Bug wary

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 15:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Look at it this way. His/her office may have an infestation that has yet not been identified. You're protectingbyourself by not going there.

6. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 15:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you should charge him for your therapeutic help. Or maybe, you two could exchange time...an hour each.

This is frustrating. Hey and btw, ravens fan..I take it you are in Balto. Me too...

7. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 16:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

SearchandDestroy, Nope, not in Baltimore, not a Ravens fan. I purposely chose something that would make it very hard to identify me. 99 means nothing. The weird Caps are because I had caps lock on at the time.

Bug Wary, you have a good point. I don't want to sound malicious, but. . .

so unsettling, I will talk to him about this, but I'm not going to purposely make the sessions about this. I'll talk about what I need to talk about, bb-related or not. Otherwise I'm just wasting my time and money.

Thanks everyone!

8. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 16:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, yes, I know the therapy sessions are for you--I was only mentioning what I would do, and think isolation comes up in one way of the other for all of us. Good luck with it all. There will probably be a happy medium somewhere.

9. bug-tired

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 16:57:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Not banned, but when I told my psychiatrist a few moths ago, she said let's make a follow-up appt. for three or four months from now. I was a little surprised since I was so anxious and upset at the time. I guess she figured it would take a few months to get rid of them. I went back last week and mentioned they were gone. Now she wants me to come back next month.

On the other hand, I have a therapist who was very understanding and supportive and encouraged me to make another appt. within a few weeks to touch base.

10. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 17:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

I'm a little proud of how I'm handling this now. . . who knows how I'll be in a few months. I just found out my next door neighbor has had them before, found one two weeks ago, and most likely lives in a lot of clutter, which makes me worry my case is hopeless. Oy.

11. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 17:27:18
    #

Login to Send PM

A lot on your plate, so probably not the time to go to war with your therapist. I'd accept the phone sessions for now and at some point get clarification when he/she will see you in person again. You might even suggest a point -- so many weeks after "all clear" -- but wouldn't make this the focus of your discussions. Meanwhile, you could start asking around for other therapists.

Richard

12. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 17:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not going to war with my therapist.
    I am sure he will be billing for regular sessions, as I doubt there's a way to bill for "phone" sessions.
    I am not going to sue him; he's overall been a very good therapist. Besides, I don't think I have a case and I don't need the extra drama.

The good news I just found out is that at work, they will have an after-hours inspection of my workspace with a bedbug sniffing dog, and will treat the whole area (not just my cube). I wish my apartment building was this thorough.

13. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 17:36:24
    #

Login to Send PM

To clarify, I didn't suggest you were thinking of going to war with your therapist. I was referring to some of the suggestions given. My understanding is also that phone sessions are billed the same as office visits.

14. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 19:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Ravens: Sounds like you are very very attached to your therapist.

15. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 21:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a social worker through our EAP system. Her office was in her home. I told her in advance about the bedbugs and it really worried her. I explained the protocol I would follow and we decided that she would provide me with a metal chair / fabric chair to use during the session instead of sitting on the upholstered sofa. I think she was okay about it. I came using a XL ziploc for a purse.

16. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 22:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn I'm not "very very attached" to my therapist. After years of seeing people who couldn't help me, he has provided me immense insight into how I live my life and I've made actual progress. I might not always like the choices he makes in terms of how he approaches a problem, but overall he works for me.

Plus, it is enormously difficult to find a decent therapist through my insurance company. Most don't even bother calling back.

17. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 2:19:53
    #

Login to Send PM

rAVENSFAN99 - 3 hours ago  » 
    nycyn I'm not "very very attached" to my therapist. After years of seeing people who couldn't help me, he has provided me immense insight into how I live my life and I've made actual progress. I might not always like the choices he makes in terms of how he approaches a problem, but overall he works for me.
    Plus, it is enormously difficult to find a decent therapist through my insurance company. Most don't even bother calling back.

I understand about lousy insurance and finding a decent therapist. You posted that he made you "feel like a second class citizen." What do you want us to say then?

18. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 3:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsinTO--metal chair, huh? What about your feet; are you going to bring a big pail and fill it with rubbing alchohol to use as a footrest, or bring a zip and a change of clothes before the session begins?

This is all so ridiculous. These counselors and other client-based professionals have probably had many people in and out of their offices who had bed bugs at home. The only difference between us here and other people is that 1)we know he have the bugs, have confirmed them somehow; 2) we tell people about them. It's almost like we tell them, and then they freak and assume this is the very first time they have ever been potentially exposed to bed bugs. Perhaps all such offices should pay the expense for some type of ongoing-monitoring. This would help to create a new mentality based on the belief that it is always possible that a client might bring them in. Not just this current client who admits they have them and is already taking precautions against spreading them. Most clients who walk into these facilities probably are taking no such precautions, either because they don't know they have bugs, or don't know how to protect against spread.

I recognize that part of the educational and awareness aspect is telling people, spreading the word rather than the bugs. But when someone is already going thru hell taking preventive and treatment measures, and then a needed professional either kicks them out or makes it difficult for them, it's a big blow. I am going to think about this a lot and try to come up with better answers when people start trying to distance me.

19. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 7:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to consider using Skype to provide a visual feed for your sessions.

Body language is an important component of communication.

Skype is a free program... no charge for computer to computer calls.

You might want to suggest regular K9 sweeps for your therapist's office and the installation of passive monitors like the BB Alert under the furniture.

Any of their other clients can be exposed at some point and transport a bug into the office unknowingly.

The therapist office has the same challenge as a hotel... renting their chair by the hour without any effective means of screening for bed bugs.

How to be proactive about bed bugs without stigmatizing your clients is a major dilemma for a therapist these days.

20. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 8:50:00
    #

Login to Send PM

On the bright side, now I can do therapy and watch The Jetsons at the same time.

21. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 14:58:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi So Unsettling
    This does bring back memories. I described my full protocol to the social worker and it reassured her. And it did involve all you mention (short of the pail of rubbing alcohol.)

Her office was in her house. I was going to do anything I could to reduce her risk because I wouldn't wish bedbugs on anyone, and I wanted to put her at ease, because I needed her to be thinking about me, not about her sofa. The metal chair was portable. It was up to her after I left, if she wanted to run o/s with it and hose it down or set it on fire.

With the improvement of passive monitors, I agree that everyone should start monitoring.

22. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 15:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsinTO--you are certainly doing the right thing, and doing it well. I did not mean to be criticizing you or the social worker, for that matter. It's just that I would like to see knowledge of the spread of BB to become so widespread, that social workers, counselors, anyone in the helping professions who see clients, to realize that BB are so widespread that potential spread to them doesn't necessarily begin with the first client who reports them, and certainly doesn't end with that client. This is a societal problem effecting everyone, and everyone, especially people who bring clients in all the time, have to take some real responsibility here. It will be a business expense, like any other. So many businesses are still being caught off guard because they don't realize how possible it is that they may contract a problem.

23. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 19:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

rAVENSFAN99 - 10 hours ago  » 
    On the bright side, now I can do therapy and watch The Jetsons at the same time.

LOL!

24. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 12:45:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Times have certainly changed in the two years since the episode I reported.

I was seeing another social worker last week (different reasons) and I mentioned there was a very stressful period back when I had bedbugs and she just said "Oh, you don't have to tell me" rolled her eyes and we went on.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 22:12:55
    #

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I know people who do phone therapy because they (or their therapists) moved out of town and they wanted to continue. It's not entirely unusual, and I believe it bills at similar rates.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714