Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Any suggestions for PCO in Cincinnati?...NOT Terminix!!!!!

(9 posts)
  1. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 24 2010 2:22:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone in Cincinnati had a positive experience with a PCO? I'm really surprised that some of the major companies make very little or no mention of bed bugs on their web sites.

Terminix was an absolute disaster for the family. My mother lives in a small studio in a nice assisted living complex. She didn't react to the bites, and housekeeping employees were not trained to notice bed bug activity(Mom's entire bed was filthy with fecal matter). We were bb illiterate as well prior to this incident. So the infestation grew quite severe.

The Terminix exterminator told us to dump the entire bed and expensive mechanical lift chair, but said the couch looked fine(we recently paid $850 for it). She sprayed and treated the apartment ONE time on June 16. She visually inspected one week later, and didn't spray because all looked well to her. She inspected again July 1, didn't treat, and declared "all clear".

July 5 I found a living nymph. It turned out the couch had at least 30 bed bugs, mostly adults and a few nymphs. The exterminator came back in the next day and EMPHATICALLY declared the family had brought every single one of them in ourselves because she had inspected herself and verified that the bugs were eradicated. Well, only two family members go in there, and we have had inspections done in our homes and there is no hint of bed bug activity. Plus, it's impossible to bring in 30 bugs in just a visit or two in a four day period.

The bugs were obviously still alive in the couch. I don't know if the couch was even treated the first time. The dust guard wasn't taken off the bottom, so how could she spray underneath? I told the exterminator to take the dust guard off and really spray up there thoroughly.

The real nightmare is the exterminator told the building's management that she completely eradicated the pests, and says we brought them in. Management claims this is the first and only infestation ever in the building. A dubious claim since there are about 250 units. They blame us for the "reinfestation" and said we have to pay for future treatments. I got vibes from the letter that they would love to evict us, but we would go to the media if they tried that. Now the family is afraid to go into Mom's room because we know the bugs are not wiped out, but mainly if and when they are discovered, we will be blamed once again for bringing them in.

Thanks for reading my rant(if you did We need a good pro to go perform a thorough inspection and who will have a good game plan for treatment.

2. bb_nitemares

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 24 2010 12:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

oh wow! sorry, i cant help with a recommendation, but as a fellow cincinnatian i feel your pain! what a terrible experience!

3. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 25 2010 17:55:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the empathy. I don't know why our fair city has such a problem. NYC has millions of international travelers, some of whom bring them in their luggage. Plus the citizens live almost solely in condos and apartments, which doesn't help. But what causes Cincinnati's problem?

4. tntnb

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 25 2010 18:24:12
    #

Login to Send PM

We're in Cincinnati too. We're using Ace Exterminators. They seem to know what they're doing. Hope this info helps.

5. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 25 2010 18:38:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much. I just joined Angie's List. Ace and Sure Pest seem very highly rated, but virtually all ratings are for pests besides bed bugs.

6. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 25 2010 19:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry. As time goes on I get angrier and angrier at the "just get rid of it" advice that the more incompetent advisers and PCOs suggest / mandate. The equipment you're describing is not cheap and it is treatable. Besides merely getting rid of infested furniture is not the cure (or I'd be having a "Farewell BBs" party after 1880GotJunk came and took away my futon and frame).

I don't get that a PCO would not understand that in the absence of ovicides (which they are not using) you have to come back for the next generation of crawlies.

And a huge minority (majority?) of the people on this board can testify that one can know there is an infestation and yet have very little to show to prove it. Certainly a cursory examination of the bed doesn't do it.

I hope you can find a PCO that recognizes that bed bugs are an entirely different challenge.

And whether or not you brought in the bugs, the management would still be well-advised to get themselves educated. Because with 250 units, there are going to be many future infestations because people don't know what these things are (or where they come from). I'm pretty plugged in to sciencey stuff and I didn't. And having heard the "you're the first person to ever have the <problem of choice> problem" too often in my life only to gather other testimony later, I'm skeptical that you and your dear mother are Ground Zero for this thing.

Good luck,

Eve

7. pgw

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 25 2010 19:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

We're in the Cincinnati area also. We are using RTS. I'm not a member of Angie's list, and don't know if he is on it, but he seems knowledgeable.

We made the mistake of moving out of our bedroom, so he said that is slowing the "kill process" down. We got rid of the furniture, ripped up the carpet, painted, etc.

8. bb_nitemares

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 8:40:48
    #

Login to Send PM

thats a good question....why IS cincy so bad? I would say it could be in part to the poverty level, and ppl being unable to treat or just not knowing what thier dealing with...but that cant be 100% true at all, as even our "richer" suberbs, such as west chester and mason, seem to be crawling as well. a girl i used to work with lived in mason and had them BAD. and she did not treat. not completely sure what her living situation was... if she just didnt call her landlord, didnt care, or had a house or what....but i wouldnt be suprised if working in close quarters with her was where i got mine. there was even a rumor the evil girl threatened to GIVE us the bugs by dropping them in our purses! i never noticed anything....but.....*shrug* its just one of my theorys. they could also be somewhere else in my condo building, or maybe i got them from someplace public. no way to know.

so, yeah....what IS the deal with cincy? *shrug*

9. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 7 2010 19:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The media keeps spouting about international travel; have to tell you my parents traveled global for many years when my Father was a big businesses man...in the 60's - 70's - 80's - 90's ; etc., and all those years it was just a nursery rhyme to us.

In my opinion, it is that the bugs have become resistant to the chemicals that are sprayed regularly for more common infestations such as cock roaches (vomit - but now have fell 2nd on the list after my recent infestation with BB's). There isn't much to these bugs, if you read about them; they are so stupid that to procreate they practically kill the female (unlike ants or bee's where they have a revered "queen" = thus that bug finding a really hard to find place to lay the eggs, then in isolation. Really though, procreationally speaking, that would be the best way to preserve the offspring survival rate - yet (I am not an entomologist) there doesn't seem to be much to these bugs. They feed off of blood, lots of that around... BUT I do love (and it worked miracles to putting a complete stop to my infestation) : DE. It cuts their exoskeleton, and they are crawlers.. ; so if you have that about even if you have eggs hiding out at soon as the nymphs come out for there first blood meal; they are going to be cut into peaces - surely not to survive into the stage of 5 where they can reproduce. DE is supposed to kill 24 - 48 hours.

I am a fellow Cincinnatian, (Lebanon, which is hit bad) & the "PCO" didn't know "S___ from Shinola" : I had to do all the investigating work and all the inspections and all the cleaning and all the isolating and all the all the's : which there are many to do, variations depending on your severity and your available income. Do know that if you are a renter, it is the Land Lords responsibility under the law to hire a PCO, good or bad, at least some of the chemicals kill the live breeding ones. Other than that you are on your own.

I am a Freelance Graphic Designer, and am currently designing and informational brochure for the helpful things to do and not to do when infested with Bed Bugs ; based upon my own experience, research, much that included reading entire websites postings from University of Kentucky and OSU plus including helpful facts from this website and others and things that worked for me. I was infested for approximately 2 months.

Check back for more information in PDF format after I have cleared this with the website administrator.

I have read so many disturbing stories about the way public housing is treated, now the negligence is aimed at our senior citizens? What kind of people are we to allow this? This is absolutely intolerable. If I were you, I would be seeking out The Legal Aid Society; that a PCO is blaming you or your mother; and the public ostentation that may bring on to her and distress? This is horrifying. I did not know, and do not think it is legal for a PCO to declare that a person is to blame. It is their ineptitude to stay current on pest control such as this ; I hate finger pointers, you point them right back. That is there profession, if they can not do it, they should get out of the business.

Uhlizza

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69