Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Any studies on bedbugs being favorable to women over men?

(12 posts)
  1. brooklyngirl

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 14:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Just curious. I've notice this is quite common in the posts on this forum. Where a woman will state "my husband/bf/father/etc has no bites".

2. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 16:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklyngirl, I do not think that they prefer women over men, it simply may be that many women's skin is thinner than mens (think hormones) and our skin might possibly react more than a man. I believe that from the experts on this board and from expert sites like the govt, etensions service, etc it is likely that up to 70% of people bitten do not react at all, and of those who do react, the reaction can be quite different. So since only 30% react, maybe it is more likely that women react, or maybe it is more likely that women tend to shave their legs, arm pits etc and may more carefully notice their skin than a man who may/may not shave his face and not pay as much attention to a bite as a woman would. I think that the men are being bitten, they just aren't noticing the bites are they are not reacting to them.

3. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 16:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I could support the view anecdotally that women seem to respond more than men but it is not something that I am aware of any data on.

I don't think it is a matter of being bitten or not are more of a factor of responds or not.

What causes this I have no idea it is one of the many mysteries that keep me doing this job (that and the toys, once I work out the video editing you can all marvel at the wonders of a bed bug magnified 200 times (the close up one feeding that is clear enough to see the blood flow into it will have to wait till later in the year (unless you are an academic and you internet line will allow a 16GB file download, in which case email me))).

I will have to trump you for odd bite responses on this one. I still scratch my head as to why out of two identical 16 year old twins sleeping in the same room only one responded to the bites. Everything I know about genetics would say that this should not be possible but I guess with bed bugs you just have to expect the unexpected.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 0:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Anecdotally, I think it's true. It was my experience (which is not enough to go on) and it does seem really common here -- more common than the opposite scenario by a long shot).

One person suggested women are more likely to seek support on an internet forum. Not sure whether that's a factor. Seem to be a lot of men here seeking and sharing support, some of them react to bed bug bites, others don't.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. ladybug

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2009 21:48:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a renowned allergist in NYC who had seen many people with bb bites and she said 80% of the sufferers she had seen were women, many had male partners who experienced no problems at all. She put it down to hormones (ahh, hormones...).

6. Dillon

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2009 12:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklyngirl, I believe male bugs prefer to bite girls. But I have no proofs.

7. bait

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Apr 22 2009 12:57:29
    #

Login to Send PM

All we have to go by is anecdotal - that includes victims and PCOs and scientists, etc. There is no test that I know of where men and women and children were freely exposed to non-captive bed bugs and observations/comparisons were made.

One thing that "bugs" me is that whether one reacts/itches or not, a hole to access the meal would still have to be made by the insect and sooner or later someone would notice holes in the skin, or blood in the sheets or in PJs, etc.

Also, in theory a non-reactor feeding an infestation would have a much bigger and more obvious population, odor, etc.

8. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 18:55:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Please see the current forum thread "glycerol as an attractant". Hmmm...it is the main ingredient in NUMEROUS beauty products....

9. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 0:33:57
    #

Login to Send PM

This comment is about reactors v nonreactors, rather than male v female reactors.

I read a study (unfortunately it was a very small study and I wasn't inclined to post results to something so small) where 96% of the subjects - all of which were bit - showed some reaction, varying only in degree. If this is true, it leans toward some people not being bit (as opposed to being a non-reactor).

The study made the point that the popular view about non-reactors came primarily from a study/report written around 1920 (or '40?) and was therefore outdated.

Did anyone else come across this study?

I can't help but ask again, don't you think non-reactors should have bugs coming out of the rafters?

10. bait

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 0:47:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Search for this thread.

Women seem to have a greater reaction to bed bug bites than men...

You can click onto it from the top of this thread.

I copied an abstract and posted it there, and the original poster had their own unofficial study.

11. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 10:23:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry. I must have been misled by the title of the thread...

12. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 15:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

A recent white paper from Orkin reported a study with 900 participants that did not find a statistically significant difference in the bite response based on gender.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs