Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Anxious and struggling to cope; 4 days in

(4 posts)
  1. scaredandanxious

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Thu Sep 13 2018 22:21:17
    #

Login to Send PM

A few months ago my parents let a friend of theirs sleep in my bed while I was out of town without my permission, fast forward three months and bam I find bed bugs all over my mattress and box springs.
    The bites were first discovered 11 days ago but it being early September in the country I figured they were flea bites and treated all of my pets and bombed for fleas. I spent the next several nights at my girlfriend's house and didn't return home until 6 days later, this past Sunday. That night, curled up in my bed enjoying the new season of Bakeoff, I saw a little bug scamper across my pillow case. I flipped out, pulled up my mattress, and was faced with a scene and a panic I don't feel I will ever forget. I ran downstairs immediately and called up my mom who agreed they were bed bugs and promptly just... went back to sleep. I begged her the next day to call a professional and even left messages with several and she refused, insisting we could handle the problem ourselves. Fast foward through the next two days of her refusing to do any actual research and just throwing DE everywhere without even knowing what it was or how to use it and I FINALLY convinced her to call a PCO.
    She called Orkin and they came and did an inspection and said we caught the problem fairly early and there didn't seem to be signs of bugs anywhere but near my mattress but that my mom had used so much DE and other chemicals in the room that it was unlikely they would come out of hiding for several days. They are heat treating my bedroom as well as the adjacent room, but not for 7-10 (now 6-9) days. I just feel so lonely because this doesn't seem to be affecting anyone else in my family as much as me and I can't sleep and I'm so scared I don't feel safe even in another room. I keep thinking what if those PCOs were just really bad at their job and the bugs are actually everywhere and/or the treatment doesn't actually kill them and I'm stuck with bugs forever.
    I'm also terrified that I might have inadvertently spread them to my girlfriend's. Both she and I have checked and can't find any signs of them but I'm so paranoid and I've spent all of my money purchasing a new bed and mattress as well as interceptors and traps because I don't think I'll ever have peace of mind again so I can't afford the 95 dollar fee to have them inspect her place at the moment. Her parents were and are a bit of the hoarder persuasion so if they get them I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of them. Please advise I'm just so scared and even though my girlfriend has been the most supportive I feel guilty for putting her at risk.

2. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 21:59:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I get the anxiety, also coping with it, so if it's okay I'll share some of the thoughts that help me get through.

Objectively, no matter what room you are in, you are safe. These do not harm you. They so not carry disease. They are a nuisance, with a lot of cultural and psychological baggage attached. We don't freak out in the same way about mosquitos or ants--and that has a lot more to do with stigma than logic. This is a nuisance, but you are not unsafe. Repeat as necessary.

This problem is finite. Even though it feels like there is no end in sight, the problem will not last forever. Once you've done everything reasonably in your power, "let go and let god" as my mom would say, or to follow the 76ers, "trust the process." Worrying changes nothing but your ability to cope with the present.

I get how stressful and worrying this is--I am in the exact same stage as you. But don't let this rob you of your life. With precautions, go outside. Eat a nice sandwich. Listen to music. Continue to remember everything in your life beyond this--because there is a lot more still waiting there for you, and every problem can benefit from refreshed eyes.

TLDR: this sucks. It ends. Do what you can, and let go of what you can't. Live your life in the meantime.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 0:33:17
    #

Login to Send PM

WeltsAbound,
    That’s very good advice!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Thissucks42

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Sep 16 2018 1:31:41
    #

Login to Send PM

That is wonderful advice that I needed too.

We've had ~3 or 4 bug free nights and nothing in the traps since the 1 one but I still wake up thinking I feel them. One night I was sure that I had seen one running near my head, but when I got up there were no signs of it. The problem now seems to be in my head.

Thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172