Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Anxiety attacks post-treatment

(11 posts)
  1. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 29 2010 16:06:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Couple of weeks ago, we finished 4 treatments with our PCO. We just returned from a much needed vacation (beginning of our vacation, I was a mess - terrified to touch anything, sit anywhere, etc.). On the ride home, I started to have extreme anxiety attacks - never had them before and hope to never have them again. I'm terrified to be in my place and sleep in my bed tonight. I am confidant that we've done all the right things, and set up a bed bug beacon while we've been away (it's empty). I really hope that we're in the clear - don't think I can go through this again.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 29 2010 17:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

i feel your pain!

Please let us know that you had a peaceful night and had no skin reactions....

Please be careful bringing the things you used on vacation into your home. If i were you i would isolate everything. Luggage in thick contractor bags and all clothing whether clean or not in heavy plastic bags as well until they can be carefully laundered or heated in dryer or packtite.

good luck

3. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 8:31:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh...woke up with what looks very similar to a bite.

4. bugnut

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 8:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

PA -

I applaud you for taking a vacation - I can't bear the thought of sleeping somewhere else. We had 3 treatments and no signs after 48 days but I also have anxiety attacks now too. Never had anxiety issues before. I started going to a hypnotherapist to help me get over them.

I have found that if I stop what I am doing a repeat to myself "I can do this, I can do this" it helps and takes the focus and energy out of the anxiety attack.

I still don't feel truly comfortable in my home or anywhere else for that matter, except for sitting outside or at the beach.

I am told it gets better with time and I hope that that is true - good luck to you!

5. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 9:05:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Bugnut and congratulations on being bed bug free for 48 days!!! Are you waiting for 60 days before you unbag everything?

I called our PCO this morning - they're going to send someone on Wednesday for treatment #5 on Wed. 5 treatments - I can't believe this (and we supposedly have a mild infestation!!!). I was so hopeful with our bed bug beacon being empty...last night when I was vacuuming, I sucked up a bug that looked like a tiny bed bug (it was dead). I don't know 100% if it was since I'm so neurotic now that everything bug like is a bed bug. I was hoping to attend a family reunion early fall, but now, I probably won't go because I don't want to bring these things with me and infect my family. This will be the 2nd family gathering I will have missed because of these things. Unbelievable that these bed bugs can disrupt our lives like this.

6. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 13:11:03
    #

Login to Send PM

PANewBugger,

I feel what you're going through. I recently celebrated 100 days bb free (and am going on my much needed vacation soon) but my mind is starting to play games with me. I don't know what it is. I'm not back in panic mode, but I'm starting to over observe every mark on my body and just feel restless lately. I'm pretty sure I'm just being a bit nuts. I guess it shows that no matter how long someone is bb free, the anxiety still remains. Why it's been triggered with me after this amount of time, I don't know. I am hoping this feeling will pass and that I really am just being silly.

7. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 13:43:18
    #

Login to Send PM

PANewbugger-
    keep in mind it's a really bad mosquito season..your one bite could be a mosquito bite. Don't base it on bites alone that you're still infected.

Good luck
    Keep your head up!

8. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 21:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all your words of support and understanding - while I wish nobody was experiencing this (bed bug bites and related mental torture), I must admit it makes me feel better to know that others feel the same. I miss my pre-bed bug life.

I'm pretty certain (100% actually) that the bites I received last night are bed bug related - they are identical to our bites when we had definitive evidence of bed bugs (actual bed bugs). I went shopping today to buy more XXL ziploc bags and almost started to cry hysterically in the aisle at Kmart.

My hubby and I just discarded an area rug and we've decided that this weekend, we will begin to discard all our furniture. Does anyone have advice on how to throw away and make sure nobody picks up those items???? I don't want any poor soul to get these things b/c there is "free"furniture on the sidewalk.

Sigh...

9. vandamme

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 22:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

PANewBugger

I feel your pain. I had to throw out most of my things the first time it happened. On the positive side, the purging feels kindof good.

In terms of disposing, there are two options:
    1. Call a junk disposal company like GotJunk. They will take it straight to the dump (make sure you tell them it's infested furniture)
    2. If you leave the stuff on the curb, deface it. Throw a can of paint on it or write with markers BED BUGS INFESTED - Take at own risk. Cut up the mattress, sofa, chair, etc with a utility knife.

Good luck and hang in there.

10. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 30 2010 22:11:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Might I ask what your four "treatments" have consisted of so far? I am just curious because three seems to be the lucky number... Here's to hoping you just have mosquitoes.

I have been told that you should spray paint "bedbugs" on your furniture and make sure it is bagged up before discarding. It can be hard to find bags large enough, so we used plastic sheeting from home depot and duct-taped it up as best as possible.

This seems easy to say, but try not to toss anything that you may regret later. It may be helpful to wait for the next inspection first (?) I really hope you are in the clear. Here's to no Bedbugs!

11. PANewBugger

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Aug 31 2010 11:03:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I'm going to speak with building management today to tell them we're discarding furniture and more carpets and to make sure that the building knows that these are infested items. They have contractor garbage bags (think that's what they're called) that they gave us for our first round of tossing furniture so will ask for a few more to bag and tape up our stuff.

At this point, we will have no regrets getting rid of our stuff - we're at the point where we'll try just about anything to get rid of them.

Has anyone received bites on their face? I woke up this morning with 3 tiny tiny bite marks on my cheek.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,464 posts in 47,890 topics over 148 months by 21,096 of 21,433 members. Latest: hatethebugs, bbscare13, kdms94