Another thought involving cold & heat

(9 posts)
  1. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 15:40:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok folks so as I sit at my sisters with everything I brought on the unheated back porch (excluding electornics which stay in bags most of time) a thought crossed my mind.

I had read the FAQ's about leaving stuff in the cold (it has been 32 or below since I arrived on thursday) and was slightly disappointed with the results of this treatment. As I sat and pondered these thoughts crossed my mind.

What if you take the clothing left out in the cold and then threw it into a hot dryer for 2 hours? Would this have any effect on any BB's that may have tagged along? Would the going from the cold to the hot actually help any? Has any research been done on this type of treatment to see if it would be more effective than just drying on hot?

Yeah I know I go slightly crazed at times but I seriously worry that even with all the precautions I took before I left that I may bring them to her place. I actually did this today with all the clothing and then rebagged and put it back out on the porch as it's going to be even colder the next few days. They are smaller bags that I have left spread out so as not to give them any type of "qulting layer" to hide in for warmth.

When I got here I also put all clothing into the dryer and ran it for 2 hours then rebagged and put it out on the porch in the cold .

I have not seen any bites on myself. Just one red spot that did not look like any previous bites and did not itch but it was enough to send me into OCD mode. I'm feeling less OCD now as that was the day after I got here and no other new spots have appeared.

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 15:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year also!

3. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 17:56:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy new year to you also Tony! (Great name by the way)

The hot dryer (as long as it got up to 120-130 degrees F for two or more hours wil do the job just fine without the cold.
    I'll ask if anyone I know has done any research on this but it seems redundant to me.

Cheers!
    Tony Canevaro

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 19:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

TonyC, People have done research on this.

Dry clothes does NOT need to be in a dryer for 2 hours to kill bed bugs and eggs. Not normal clothing (normal thickness). What I know is in the dryer FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 19:54:24
    #

Login to Send PM

ps Tony, this probably goes without saying but make sure that after drying, you re-bag in fresh clean bags...

6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 0:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks NoBugs. I out of habit default to my normal temperature and duration protocols. Sorry for the confusion!
    Tony Canevaro

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 9:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Tony,

Just as we can learn about thermal treatment from you, you might pick up a few things in our FAQs!
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

The one on dryers is part of the section on getting bed bugs out of clothing and other stuff:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/stuff/

8. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 19:42:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for putting up with me when I go off the deep end at times. I to had thought it redundant to be doing this. But as I stated in the first post the mark that didn't look or feel like any other bites freaked me a bit.

I find myself not wanting to return home as this is the first time in over a month I have had no noticable bite marks. They have all gone away finally. I left my stuff on the outside porch as an extra precaution and bring in only what I need for that day. I've been packing daily outfits in smaller bags then sealing them in larger ones. I also seriously underpacked so as to lessen the chance of bringing them.

I do have a ? about the use of the ziploc bags. Can you not reuse the bags? I keep three sets of multiple bags one for used clothing one for just out of the dryer and ones for things like shoes ect. I have them marked so as not to confuse them. I also wipe them out with 91% rubbing alcohol once emptied and before rebagging. I am not in a financial position to buy bags to have new ones to use each time. I've seriously limited my wardrobe and most stuff is washed dryed then bagged and just sits on an upper shelf of the closet. I've never seen them in the closet or on the clothing but am well aware they may still be there.

I'm dreading going home as nothing has still been done to my place. But I have to because if I don't nothing will ever happen. Wish I could go into more detail but at this point I can't. Just protecting myself from what will be starting on my return with the unwillingness of the management to do anything.

Thanks again everyone posting seems to lessen the anxiety I get when thinking about all of this. Hope it gets to a point where I can state what is going on sometime.

I've been reading and rereading the faq's but still find myself not quite sure if I'm doing enough to not give them to my sister. Sorry this got way longer than I thought guess I'm letting off some steam again. I need to relax and enjoy my time away from my place. Which I've been doing but still can't quite get it all out my head for an entire day. On the plus side it's not on my mind 24 hours a day like before I left!

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 1 2008 19:58:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You can re-use bags, Tony, for the same purposes. I said that because you said you took everything (suspicious) out of the bags, dried and rebagged them. In that case, using the same bags is not a good idea--after all, if you thought there were no bugs in those bags of clothing, you would not have put the stuff in the drier.

But yes, if you use a bag for clean clothing, then dry and put more clean clothing in, that is fine. (Or other similar re-use of a bag for the same purpose as originally.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19